CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE MIKE BROWN/ERIC GARNER/ETC SITUATION?

Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=mawk
~LEARNING CORNER~
it is, in fact, impossible to be 'racist against white people'.
If there was an option for a second favourite thing, it would be this statement.

You know what the problem is? You guys think the world revolves around the United States of America. It is not uncommon for residents of other countries to hate on ethnic minorities. Look at Iraq. Look at Israel. Hell, you should listen to my parents...

If you guys phrased all of this as "Racism in the USA" I wouldn't mind, but currently it's kinda disrepectful. White people get all sorts of shit outside of the West.

EDIT EDIT: Should probably make this post on-topic.

author=Liberty
Yes, this was all motivated by race. Else why shoot a guy in the back with no warning when he was carrying around an airsoft gun in a state that allows you to carry in public. While he was on the phone. Turned the other way. With no warning.

The most alarming thing about is was when the guy who reported the kid called the police dispatcher (or someone like that), he mentioned that the gun could be a toy one. The dispatcher didn't even mention this to the police on duty!
author=Yellow Magic
You know how in Earthbound you could enter "Your favourite thing" in the beginning?

My favourite thing is white people arguing about racism on the internet

OH YOU <3 <3 <3

author=Yellow Magic
If you guys phrased all of this as "Racism in the USA" I wouldn't mind, but currently it's kinda disrepectful. White people get all sorts of shit outside of the West.

'Getting shit' is much different than racism. One cannot confound racism, a form of oppression on an institutional level, with prejudice. White people were colonialists, and colonialism is a mega-racist practice. I do not feel that tensions between white people and non-whites due to a history of colonialism and oppression can be defined as racism. I have to agree with Mawk here.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Yellow Magic
Yeah, sorry, I made a joke at the expense of white people. But you guys don't mind, right? I mean, you're literally the scum of the earth after all.

Just noting this in case you get cold feet and edit out your blatant hatred and racism.
You just have to ask South Africa about white slavery. It is a thing. There is white racism in the world. Because, you know, racism isn't about white or black - it's about race. White people can be racist against white people, black people can be racist against black people. And vice the verse.

In this case, however, we're talking about the USA issue with police going after black people differently than they do against white people. Which is 100% what they've been doing.

Are there good cops? Hell yes there are! One of them got arrested for joining in the protests in NYC iirc. But the bad cops are LITERALLY getting away with murder of black people just because they are black people.

That shit is completely whack, especially in a country that's oh, so proud of freedom for all.

Yeah, more like freedom for white men who have money. amirite? I'm right.
harmonic
There's racism against whites in this thread. Yellow Magic spewing hate for whites for being whites, for example. Mawk saying "it's impossible to be racist against whites."

And we're supposed to put up with it because "privilege" - something we're apparently born with, cannot change, and puts a cage around our opinions and feelings. We as whites are supposed to just shut up, hang our heads in shame, and get out of the way. And those of us who are dissonant are called out publicly and told WE are the ones who hate. Usually by fellow whites who are scared into putting forth a very convincing facade of "tolerance."

It's a ridiculous narrative that more and more people are rejecting. It's a witch hunt. It's revenge for an imaginary infraction. It's censoring and discriminatory.

Wait, strike all that from the record... I just checked my privilege.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
yellow magic was making a joke. you have a persecution complex.
Yellow Magic
author=nurvuss
'Getting shit' is much different than racism. One cannot confound racism, a form of oppression on an institutional level, with prejudice. White people were colonialists, and colonialism is a mega-racist practice. I do not feel that tensions between white people and non-whites due to a history of colonialism and oppression can be defined as racism. I have to agree with Mawk here.

I guess your definition of racism differs from mine: I'm writing from purely a prejudicial standpoint. However, if you want to argue colonialism and all that jazz, the Barbary slave trade was a thing. This kinda thing has existed since, like, BC, and is much more than just "white v. non-white".

author=harmonic
author=Yellow Magic
Yeah, sorry, I made a joke at the expense of white people. But you guys don't mind, right? I mean, you're literally the scum of the earth after all.
Just noting this in case you get cold feet and edit out your blatant hatred and racism.

Yes, that's right. I am 100% racist against white people. Although apparently it is impossible to be racist against you, so maybe I am "whitist"?
harmonic
author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
yellow magic was making a joke.

Even if that one sentence was a "joke" - he has made it very clear that racism against whites doesn't happen in the West.

author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
you have a persecution complex.

And you have a shitty post complex.
Yellow Magic
Worth pointing out that I am also CAVE_DOGist (racist against CAVE_DOG)
Yellow Magic
Here's something to think about regarding the joke I made, by the way.

How would you react if I replaced the word "white" with "black"? Not trying to point fingers - just legit curious.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
author=harmonic
author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
yellow magic was making a joke.
Even if that one sentence was a "joke" - he has made it very clear that racism against whites doesn't happen in the West.

author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
you have a persecution complex.

And you have a shitty post complex.

so what. having an opinion on the definition of 'racism' is not the same as being racist against white people. and even if it was, yellow magic can swiftly be defeated by his one weakness: everything

more to the point: why is this even being discussed. i would assume that this thread is about the abuse of power by law enforcement coupled with the justice system protecting its own, or, if you are on the other side of the fence, that not happening. where does 'being racist against whites' even enter the equation. who gives a shit.

for the record, i don't know if I would have convicted daryl hall or whatever the cop who shot mike brown's name was of murder. I feel like I could get inside his head and walk through everything and go "ok, i see how a dumb idiot could have done this on accident." the problem is that he shouldn't have been a cop in the first place, and also that everything could have been avoided if he wore a tazer. that is a level of negligence that seems criminal, but I don't know how you would prosecute for it. regardless, i am mad that he got like a million dollars for killing a person. kind of disgusting. it's also weird that it didn't go to trial for further scrutiny with so many conflicting accounts, but i guess that's what happens when the prosecutor spikes the case.

the garner situation is more fucked up. honestly not sure if i would indict that guy, just from what i understand. If you start having a heart attack when someone takes you down to the ground, i can't really say that that there is a reasonable expectation for a police officer to be aware of that possibility.
author=Yellow Magic
Here's something to think about regarding the joke I made, by the way.

How would you react if I replaced the word "white" with "black"? Not trying to point fingers - just legit curious.

okay, to satisfy your legit curiosity, i'd think long and hard about the context and why someone might be saying that. I'd ask myself, and the other person if i cared enough, "why do you feel this way?"

like, talking about someone going "black people are the scum of the earth", imo they're gonna be hard-pressed to give me an answer i won't find 1) hella racist or 2) so myopic and focused only on their own situation that they're gonna generalize and...probably end up being racist. "I hate those specific black people" is different from "I hate black people", and hell, even "I hate those specific black people" runs into me wondering how their race factors into that hatred.

someone going "white people are the scum of the earth", again, i'd ask myself and/or them "why do you feel this way?"

The answer to that can be pretty complex. like alright, if you're not gonna take the time to read that b/c it's long or you don't care or w/e, that's your business, but i'm just gonna spotlight this bit:

When I say ‘I hate White people’, I am not saying I hate every single White person individually. I am saying I hate the history of oppression and injustice that continues to be overlooked and ignored by the greater White populous because it makes you uncomfortable or makes you feel guilty, while I debate whether or not I ever want to have children because one day they might be the unarmed victim being shot down, or the promising young person whose life was shortened because they were in the ‘wrong place’ or were there at the ‘wrong time’, because they might be blamed for their own murders and deaths or assaults no matter how kind-hearted, intelligent, and respectful I raise them to be.

And like, it all goes back to context. Who is saying that? Where? Is this in deeply personal conversation/space or somewhere public? Why are they saying it? Context matters.
Yellow Magic
In case it wasn't clear, I was referring to the context of a joke.

I wrote "White people are the scum of the earth" as a joke, and most (strangely not all lol) took it in passing. However, if I wrote "Black people are the scum of the earth" and meant it as a joke in the same vein, would people react the same way?

Is it ever okay to make jokes like that? Where do we draw the line?

(Sorry for the derailing, but in the midst of his persecution complex, harmonic actually made me think.)
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
the reaction would probably contain less indignation.
I did get it was a joke, but honestly I think it's worth examining as a serious statement too. A lotta people believe that saying anything like "I hate white people" holds the exact same meaning and implications of something like "I hate black people". I don't, so i figured I'd take a moment to talk about that.

and yeah, even in the context of a joke I'll stick by "context matters", har har. who is saying it, where, and why, basically. There are totally situations/places where I think busting in to be all "lol white people suck" would be insensitive/inappropriate. I draw my lines where I feel a joke is gonna be harmful/spreads harmful ideas. That's not always obvious, so i think about it on a case-by-case basis.

I'm not a fan of making inflammatory statements or jabbing hornet's nests purely for some amusement. idk, not my style.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=harmonic
And we're supposed to put up with it because "privilege" - something we're apparently born with, cannot change, and puts a cage around our opinions and feelings. We as whites are supposed to just shut up, hang our heads in shame, and get out of the way. And those of us who are dissonant are called out publicly and told WE are the ones who hate. Usually by fellow whites who are scared into putting forth a very convincing facade of "tolerance."

It's a ridiculous narrative that more and more people are rejecting. It's a witch hunt. It's revenge for an imaginary infraction. It's censoring and discriminatory.

Ah, come on. Plenty of white people have looked at the world and realized that something shifty is going on. It's possible to talk about this without engaging in ritual self-flagellation. That's all privilege is. Recognizing that the deck is stacked and the game is rigged for white people, especially in the U.S, and especially if you're also male, and being willing to say "It shouldn't be this way."

There's plenty of evidence that the system favors certain races over others, and this doesn't stop being true because you can point to counterexamples.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
i think the problem is that the grand jury in both cases played a lot of dark souls and misunderstood what being indicted would mean for the officers.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
e: i know it was a good joke, internet, but I don't think it needed to be said twice.

also i guess my main issue with the garner situation is that the cop decided to escalate the situation for no reason. the guy who has been arrested before didnt want to be arrested again. maybe try talking to him a little more before getting physical.

seems like immediately taking down by the neck isn't (or...SHOULDn'T BE...) the procedure for such a low-intensity situation. that guy shouldn't be a cop but i'm not getting my hopes up
Harmonic, you are supposed to acknowledge the privilege, and do you best to effect change, and not resent having it pointed out to you.

How the fuck do you guys always twist shit like this into "whites are being oppressed halp!" anyway? It's sickening. Focus on the topic or keep your mouth shut.