USING RPG MAKER, HOW REALISTICE WOULD IT BE TO DO EVERYTHING NON PROGRAMMING RELATED

Pages: 1
One of the coolest things about the Touhou series is that most of the work is done by one man. Since RPG Maker handles all the hardcore programming, how realistic would it be to think that one person could handle art, music, and other such graphics. I know an RPG requires more resources than a bullet hell, but I'm just curious.
That depends entirely on how much of said art, music, and other such graphics the game you have in mind would require. It's possible, but if you're going to make anything longer than an hour, it's going to be a lot of work. Really. A lot.
One of my games features a custom battle system and menus/UIs and custom graphics.
It's about 2 hours long, give or take 1 hour.
It took a little over 2 months to make, spending 4-6 hours a day working on it (I can't remember exactly, but I know I missed sleep). Most of that time was spent on the art and bug testing/fixing.
If I would've made original music and sound effects you could add another month of development at 4-6 hours of work a day.

Oh and don't play it. It's bad :P

When you think that hundreds of employees take 6 months to develop incomplete or mediocre "triple A" titles filled with bugs, it confirms that making a great 100% custom game is not merely a matter of motivation or manpower.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Uh... considering damn near every RPG Maker project is done this way, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's pretty reasonable.
It depends on how good you are at those things.
Possible? Definitely. A good idea? Not so definitive. If you want everything to be high quality, doing it solo probably isn't reasonable goal.

Look at the Touhou games: Good music and gameplay, only enough story to kick off the game and not even the fans are going to call the art great. Still better than mine by a mile, but "better than shit" isn't the same as being great.

So, uh. Yeah. Totally doable. It can even be a great game. Just don't expect every aspect to be great. I still can't beat a Touhou game without a continue. I'm a horrible fan.

author=Avee
Oh and don't play it. It's bad :P

Damn you, reverse psychology!
I suppose your right Kiana. I agree that the art in Touhou, while quite unique and charming, does leave a bit to be desired. But I've got to admit that starting from 12.8 or sow, the art got a HUGE improvement.
author=Avee
One of my games features a custom battle system and menus/UIs and custom graphics.
It took a little over 2 months to make, spending 4-6 hours a day working on it (I can't remember exactly, but I know I missed sleep). Most of that time was spent on the art and bug testing/fixing.
If I would've made original music and sound effects you could add another month of development at 4-6 hours of work a day.

Is it Fabulous? Where's the download?
author=Link_2112
author=Avee
Is it Fabulous? Where's the download?

Lol no it's Halloween Wars.
Being a one-man army is pretty common in Japan, take Pixel and his Doukutsu Monogatari as an example. Or Eric Chahi and his Another World (though he had a music composer but anyway). And there is a list of others.

Also consider that these people not only did graphical assets (talking about Pixel, also music). They did their own research and developed their own small technologies. Eric Chahi did an excelent work with rotoscophy and vector graphics, managing to include cinematics in a game that fits in a floppy. And Pixel did several kind of stuff, like his own music format and... *things*. I don't remember what else.

SO YEAH. It is doable. There is a lot of cases out there. It will take time, sure. And patience, because people take time at learning.

Also there is people like Howard Scott Warshaw. People from the early times in video game industry were brave and deadly.
Further to Orochii's post, Jasper Byrne did Lone Survivor virtually single-handedly.

It's possible, but it will require a lot of time and patience.
And an understanding of your own limits. Like you would have to accept that you can't do everything amazingly well (unless you are freakishly talented, which some people are).
With a lot of free time and patience... why not? But probably wouldn't recommend, too much of a headache
Pages: 1