SUIKODEN II (AND I) COMING TO PSN!

Pages: 1
The Suikoden series is a very well-known, well-loved series by a lot of jRPG enthusiasts, but for all that it is a great series, the first two games are especially hard to get a hold of for many reasons (not least of which is the cost of the second being well over the $150 mark).

Thankfully, Konami has finally given the all-ahead for release of the second game on to the newer consoles (Vita and PS4) via the PSN store. And it'll be here this week!

They've also announced a European release for both games in the near future!

Suikoden II
, the most beloved of the Suikoden series (and considered by many people to be one of the best jRPGs of the PSX era, if not all time), is a hard game to get your hands on and there are a lot of people who have never played the game (sadly), so this re-release is a huge boon for all those who enjoy PSX-era console RPGs.

Suikoden, the original game that started the series, is based on the Water Margin novel (one of the Four Great Chinese novels - Romance of the Three Kingdoms being another). The the rest of the games are loosely based on the story, but the first is most closely tied to the actual characters and tale itself.

The series has a staple signature elements, consisting of collecting the 108 Stars of Destiny to help overthrow/defend against a less-than-lovely regime and often deals with the ideas of whether fate is set at ones' birth or something a person can change. Each game in the series has three kinds of battle systems - army, duels and RPG battles - as well as restoring/building a base and dealing with politics.

What draws people to the series, however, is the over-arching sense of scope. All the main title games are set in the same world. Each focuses on a certain time and place in that world, but most of them are set close together, so there's a lot of overlap - allowing for return characters, mentions of previous events/place/people and a feeling of an ever-expanding world to explore as the series continues.

So... who's going to pick this game up on the 9th, eh?

UPDATE: Suikoden II has been released on PSN... today! Go grab yourself a copy!

As for European copies of I and II - they'll be released some time in January! Don't think you've been forgotten~
I somehow completely missed this series when I was younger. Maybe one day I'll get around to playing them... (and the dozens of other jrpgs I never got my hands on XD)

Still its good that Suikoden II is finally on PSN. I already picked up Suikoden I, I'll no doubt pick up II asap.
Hold up, I knew Suikoden 1 was already available on US PSN, and 2 was coming out this week..but they're both hitting the non-US store this week too?!

I already own both physically, and have beaten them numeruous times, but I really want to play them on my vita <3 <3 <3
unity
You're magical to me.
Whoa! Now all I need is a PS4! (or a Vita)
UPDATE~
Suikoden II has been released to the American PSN today! European releases of I and II will be coming some time in January!

Pick 'em up!
author=suzy_cheesedreams
I somehow completely missed this series when I was younger. Maybe one day I'll get around to playing them... (and the dozens of other jrpgs I never got my hands on XD
I'm in the same boat as you. I needed to be born like a decade earlier, that way I would have been old enough to (competently) play the onslaught of excellent RPGs that came out in the 1990s. Now I have a backlog a mile long because I was too busy soiling myself and watching Barney. Hopefully I'll get to Suikoden of these years! XD
Looks like its on the PS3 right now as well. No doubt I'll be picking it up early next week.
Pages: 1