SQUARE-ENIX DECIDES TO GIVE ALL OF ITS FANS THE MIDDLE FINGER BY RE-RELEASING THE PC PORT OF FF7 FOR THE PS4

"Over the weekend, Square Enix announced that Final Fantasy VII was coming to the PlayStation 4. It's not a remake, but the PC version. Did the internet have anything to say about that? You betcha.

Final Fantasy VII launched on the original PlayStation way back in 1997. For years, gamers have been asking for a remake. In fact, the game is the most wanted PlayStation 4 remake in Japan.

Folks aren't exactly thrilled by the announcement! As of posting, the official trailer has over 13,000 dislikes on YouTube and 2,000 likes.

Source: http://kotaku.com/the-internet-reacts-to-final-fantasy-vii-on-ps4-1668134367

So, lemme get this straight… You have a game that everybody wants to be remade, a game that people will just literally throw their entire wallets at, buy an entire console, just for that, and people have been waiting for over 17 years – 17 years – for even the brief glimmer of hope of one day seeing this beloved classic get the official greenlight for a remake with shiny new HD graphics, fully voice acted cutscenes, brand new summons and materia, among other things, and you don’t even have to change anything else other than just the visuals and a few minor things and people will go off in droves to go buy it…

And then you decide to pull this stupid stunt, by making a big scene like this and tease everybody in that audience room and across the entire world by giving them the impression that “OMG, IT’S GUNNA F**KING HAPPEN, GUYS” and then turn around, all smug and just re-release the same game over again and repackage it for another $50!? F*** you, Square-Enix! This is the final straw.

I’m sorry, and I’m surprised that nobody has made a topic about this, but this latest dick move (although mildly amusing) by Square-Enix pretty much has not only sealed the chances of getting an actual FF7 remake anytime soon, but it’s also officially for this fan here saying “good riddance” to this monkey-crock of a gaming corporation.

No seriously – I’m f***king p*ssed off, and all of you should be too. What kind of business sense does doing something like this make, coming out like this, all swag and stuff, and then showing a trailer like that, pissing off most of your entire fan base? It's like what you shouldn't do, business sense 101. If I was in that audience, I’d be screaming profanities like I was at a Canucks playoff game.

I don’t understand it… These guys can make an absolute killing if they ever decided to officially remake this game, even doing something like with what FF4 did like a doing mini-collection of all the games and re-packaging them together with the remake and the classic included, sell it for $150 – and people would still go out and buy it. It basically prints money and now is the time! Younger audiences today don’t give two shits about FF7 anymore. And with this latest stunt, long-time fans may not care much about it either anymore.

F*** you, Square-Enix. You have officially lost my respect. I couldn’t even care less about what they do now.

I’ll always remember the classics though…when you used to give a shit...
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I am pretty pissed off, but not any more pissed off than I would be if they had remade it with a bullshit FFXII style battle system.
Never been a fan of them. Probably never will be.
But this is quite a shame, they could've made many many people happy - and sold the PS4 to boot.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Video games is serious business haha.

As much as I'd like a remake, there is a lot that would go into actually rebuilding the original game with entirely new graphics & on new hardware, making it would cost a lot of money and probably a minimum of 4 years dev time with a decent number of people. You also gotta take into consideration that Final Fantasy VII was a pretty dark game at times, if its done exactly the same they would need to sell it at a mature rating. Just because people say they want it doesn't mean they'll buy it.

On top of that if they did do it & it's received poorly, the backlash alone would leave a bad mark on the company forever.

I'll give you the price point, that's ridiculous for a 17 year old game.
author=Kylaila
They could've made many many people happy - and sold the PS4 to boot.

I would have bought one if they had announced it, but I think I’ll just stick to my Wii U and trust a company that at least gives a bit of a shit to its fans.

author=Max McGee
I am pretty pissed off, but not any more pissed off than I would be if they had remade it with a bullshit FFXII style battle system.

Oh god, they probably would do that, wouldn’t they, lol.

author=Tau
On top of that if they did do it & it's received poorly, the backlash alone would leave a bad mark on the company forever.

Yeah, there is that risk, definitely, but it’s a risk worth taking, especially since if people don’t like it there’s always the good ol’ original.
oh god this again.

is it so much to ask to just play the game again? you liked it the first time, didn't you?

my two favorite games are snatcher and persona 2 eternal punishment. i take great pleasure in playing them start-to-finish every couple of years, and i always see a snippet of content that i missed the first time round. i don't need them remade, i don't want them remade.

besides, you know they'd just fuck it up. the guys at square are not good writers: ff7 was a great game, but in terms of plot it was a convoluted pseudo-philosophical mishmash of mythology and bologna. if ff7 was remade today, it would be re-wrote as a pretentious base-level existentialist crisis ala ff13. with more sunglasses and belts.

to conclude
1. be careful what you wish for
2. be happy with what you have
3. brand new stories are better than retreads and cash-ins
It must be hell to remake, or I feel that they would have done so by now.

Making a video game has become a big ordeal. It's thanks to the procession of technology, which, coincidentally, has made it much easier for individuals to make their own games, as on this website.

This suddenly reminds me of the identity crisis that luxury automakers faced when technology got cheaper and better for entry-level cars... leading to controversial new luxury technologies like BMW's iDrive.
With every passing year there are games that are released with massive worlds and content. The whole 'it would take 100 years to remake the amount of content in FFVII!!!' held true in 2004, but not 2014. Content wise even adjusted, FFVII isn't very massive anymore. It wouldn't be THAT big of an undertaking. Not to say that SE has any sort of obligation to do so, they don't, but you know, people dream.

Either way, this sort of announcement is pretty tacky. PR and marketing mean a lot, and SE just shit themselves on this one.
I think there is a legitimate argument to remake games, however. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for the PSP was a pretty slick remake.
I do agree, on a case-by-case basis I suppose. If it's something that hasn't stood the test of time, or previously had a low print run, I can vibe with it. But hey, I love this year's Binding of Isaac remake and the original game is still relatively new and excellent.

It's probably not worth flipping out about a remake not being developed though!
FF7 can't and shouldn't be remade because:

1) The FF7 that the fans want remade doesn't exist and isn't consistent between fans. You get people talking about that emo git Cloud, the brash and adventurous Tifa, and the quiet introverted Aeris. The pop culture knowledge of what happens in the game is more based on falsehoods and misinformation that builds on itself. These fuckers don't even know what FF7 is anymore and instead of pining for a fabrication of their imagination to be remade in HD they should play the game SE keeps rereleasing first. No remake will ever satisfy them.

2) Square doesn't know FF7's narrative anymore. Christ just look at Cloud's incarnation in KH, or most of the FF7 EU games. I'm pretty sure this extends to Advent Children too but I've never seen it because it looks like garbage. Or christ look at what they did to FF6 mobile, it doesn't even have a consistent art style anymore. God knows what they'd do to a FF7 remake (but because it still has Cait Sith some fans will still cry about it and make fan fiction of their Original Character Do Not Steal Matthias Iscar who will take Cait Sith's role in their FF7 mod entirely)

3) Square still can't figure out this thing known as making HD games. They've constantly flubbed it since FF12 and only recently have started to make any sort of progress on fixing it. FF15's leadership had a complete overhaul after missing an entire, and the longest, console generation. FF14 ARR was only salvaged through a all hands on deck move that killed all kinds of smaller side projects and having the dumb luck to find somebody who was capable of managing the project.

4) The Honeybee Manor will be ruined. This is unacceptable. The Honeybee Manor is amazing.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Wow, seriously? I thought this was a dumb Twitter joke LMAO

EDIT: Woah woah WOAH

author=nurvuss
my two favorite games are snatcher and persona 2 eternal punishment.

Best Post Of 2014
to sum up GRS:

They'd fuck it up. Please don't pine for it.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Feldschlacht IV
I think there is a legitimate argument to remake games, however. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for the PSP was a pretty slick remake.

the worst crafting system in any game ever and a needlessly complex skill system with a horrible menu?

nothnx

edit: i don't care about ff7, it was an ad, if you're personally offended take grs's advice and replay the original. or any other game because, uh, there are shittons of them
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Why does everyone keep demanding that old games get remade? You've already played them. You can already play them again. I would rather see the effort go to something new.
author=Craze
the worst crafting system in any game ever and a needlessly complex skill system with a horrible menu?

nothnx

Don't be silly Craze. As long as Legend of Mana's crafting system exists TO will forever be second fiddle in worst crafting systems in single player games.

author=Sailerius
Why does everyone keep demanding that old games get remade? You've already played them. You can already play them again. I would rather see the effort go to something new.

I can get behind this. The old Quest for Glory series inspired two fan games: QfG2 VGA, a fan remake of the second with a mouse pointer and new graphics, and Heroine's Quest, a whole new game that takes place in Norse mythology. If I had the choice to play one I'd pick Heroine's Quest because it's new. That it's also fantastic is just a bonus.

A remake also isn't necessarily a better game too. I got the Binding of Isaac remake and I personally prefer the original to the new one. The new art style looks bad and the music is awful. Granted it's more stable and can be given new content (Flash can barely compile the original game afaik) but I don't find it as fun as the original.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Sailerius

'Cause it's cool to see something old done following the standards of today? It's also a good way to reintroduce older games that are on somewhat inaccessible consoles to a new audience, for more hype I guess.

But anyway, I was never really drawn to the FF series to begin with, so this doesn't phase me that much. I guess playing FF1 made me go "eh".
author=Sailerius
Because getting the greatest game ever made (Chrono Trigger) on the SNES would set me back $450, but luckily I have a port on the DS I can play anywhere!

I don't mind the "wasted" effort of remakes - it's not like the game companies that do remakes don't have a lot of spare "efforts" to put towards the task. New graphics, new polish, updated conveniences (like being able to Save in SMB Allstars!), (usually) new content - it can be a boon. Especially if you missed the game the first time around.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I'm not pissed. I have the original, so from my end, who cares?, but I am disappointed because remaking it would be a smart business move for SquareEnix, especially after all of the disappointments in their resume. I'd love to play to a modern version of it with updated graphics and new features, though.

So yeah, I'd pay for a remake. What about it?