SQUARE-ENIX DECIDES TO GIVE ALL OF ITS FANS THE MIDDLE FINGER BY RE-RELEASING THE PC PORT OF FF7 FOR THE PS4

Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Deal with it. Move on. FF7 sucks, anyway. It's essentially the Super Mario 64 of Final Fantasies: awesome when it came out; molten pile of shit now.

Elsewhere:

"lolololololololololololololololololol" ~ Square-Enix <3

author=GreatRedSpirit
4) The Honeybee Manor will be ruined. This is unacceptable. The Honeybee Manor is amazing.

I dunno. It's too rape-y for my tastes.
author=GreatRedSpirit
Don't be silly Craze. As long as Legend of Mana's crafting system exists TO will forever be second fiddle in worst crafting systems in single player games.

...I loved that crafting system.

Anyway, yeah, I'd agree that they'd fuck it up. Voice acting, for one, is a guaranteed thing they would do that would probably end up being cringe-worthy. I'd love to see sharper graphics and faster-paced battles/skippable animations, though.
I've read on several occasions that SquareEnix has absolutely NO intention of remaking FF7 until they create a game that exceeds it in ALL ways. So in other words, it's never going to happen.

That being said, as one of seven people who love the game, I would totally take that FF12 remake. Of course, that's probably not going to happen, either. Why bother with that when you can just re-release the FF10 Remaster on the PS4?
author=Feldschlacht IV
With every passing year there are games that are released with massive worlds and content. The whole 'it would take 100 years to remake the amount of content in FFVII!!!' held true in 2004, but not 2014. Content wise even adjusted, FFVII isn't very massive anymore. It wouldn't be THAT big of an undertaking. Not to say that SE has any sort of obligation to do so, they don't, but you know, people dream.

Yeah I think it's a huge excuse on their part. The efforts to remake FF7 kind of depend if they mean to do it in the exact same locked perspective backgrounds but simply higher res higher poly, or actually do a full 3D third person environment with VA cutscenes up the ass. I'm guessing they're thinking the latter in which having areas that arent quite a series of hallways scare the management shitless. Overall I really just preferred cutscenes being sort of ingame with text which when comparing PS1 stuff to current HD stuff, probably saved a lot of development time.

I agree with GRS that shit like the motorcycle mini game didn't define Cloud and current day square probably isn't going to "get it" if advent children is any indication. Which is weird since a lot of staff on FFVII still work there to this day.
author=Housekeeping
author=GreatRedSpirit
Don't be silly Craze. As long as Legend of Mana's crafting system exists TO will forever be second fiddle in worst crafting systems in single player games.
...I loved that crafting system.

I'm curious, what did you like about it? To me it was a complete black box that you threw items into and got ??? out. When I was a kid I looked up on gamefaqs how it works and the whole thing was so obtuse and beyond my feeble monkey brain I just hammered random shit until it got a better attack score then use the spear uppercut attack to stunlock every boss to death. TO's crafting system is a UI travesty where the simplest tasks is piles of menu busywork, layers of rng to get the postgame materials, and savescumming so the dice doesn't eat all your hard work but at least I could see that X + Y -> Z. All I got out of LoM and its built in tutorial is adding elements via the cards you got through playing music for the sprites, and I didn't know what elements did either!

(I love the presentation of Legend of Mana but yeah, I really don't like how it plays at all.)
Another victim of Kawazu's design. Fufufu
This is for the best. I don't trust modern SE to remake it without royally fucking everything up.

We don't need anything else added to that fucking miserable Compilation of FF7 shit.

Also:
author=Sailerius
Why does everyone keep demanding that old games get remade? You've already played them. You can already play them again. I would rather see the effort go to something new.
So... why not just go Suikoden II now that it's been released. Actually, it's probably a better way to sell PS4 than this. XD

Sadly, I doubt we're going to see a remake of FF7. It's a pity - it is their most popular title and they'd rake in the cash from even a graphical upgrade. :/

author=Sailerius
Why does everyone keep demanding that old games get remade? You've already played them. You can already play them again. I would rather see the effort go to something new.
Because they've shown their new shit is just that. Shit. We live in the glory of the past because they can't pull out something interesting enough from their new games. It's a pity but when games that are 10-15 years old are more fun than what they're putting out today, well... that's just how it is. Better to wish for a remake of that than spend time on the bullshit they keep trying to pedal.
Dear Kawazu

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooou

Sincerely

grs

e: ps also fuck you tanaka

e2:
author=Liberty
So... why not just go Suikoden II Yakuza 5 now that it's been being released Summer 2015.
Fixed this e3: I am bad at fixing things, need more ladders
author=Pizza
This is for the best. I don't trust modern SE to remake it without royally fucking everything up.

Yeah... pretty much.

I like FF7 and all but unless they get a competent company to do it I wouldn't be open to the idea of a remake.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, can't one download FF7 as a "PS1 Classic" (or whatever) already? Also, isn't the PC port of this game on Steam now? Like, I don't get this move.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
to conclude
1. be careful what you wish for
2. be happy with what you have
3. brand new stories are better than retreads and cash-ins

You know this is generally how I feel but for all of the remakes and reboots that Hollywood and the AAA games industry have shoveled out that I DID NOT REMOTELY FUCKING WANT OR NEED it really really adds insult to injury that they're not going to remake the one fucking thing I'd like to see a fucking remake of.

author=everyone
collective shitting upon squareenix

I agree that I haven't been impressed with anything squenix has done as a developer in the last ten to fifteen years but I think they've acted as publisher for some games I've really enjoyed in that time.
Ha! Awhile back they said if enough people supported them with the purchase of the FFVII Bike mobile whatever, it could be incentive for them to remake this game.

What they meant to say is they'd gladly port the PC version to PS4.
author=Marrend
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, can't one download FF7 as a "PS1 Classic" (or whatever) already? Also, isn't the PC port of this game on Steam now? Like, I don't get this move.
Yes, both statements are correct.

The only reason Square even did this, as far as I know, was to further cash in on FF7's success and fanbase. It's pointless, honestly.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=Pizza

We don't need anything else added to that fucking miserable Compilation of FF7 shit.

Also:
author=Sailerius

Okay, yeah, so these are excellent points. I'm just saying, if they did remake FFVII, I'd be all over that shit, but you know what? Libby's right! Rerelease Suikoden II. I don't have it and I'm not about to pay 200 to 400 dollars for a copy.
I dunno, it doesn't seem like so much of a middle finger that a dev doesn't live up to people's expectations. I can see if they promised it but then gave us this. It seems like maybe they alluded to it, based on amerk's comment, but ..yeah. I would love to play a remake but I never expected it so I'm not hurt. I was happy enough with FFxiv.
*news announced, and my reaction*

HAH!!!
author=GreatRedSpirit
I'm curious, what did you like about it? To me it was a complete black box that you threw items into and got ??? out. When I was a kid I looked up on gamefaqs how it works and the whole thing was so obtuse and beyond my feeble monkey brain I just hammered random shit until it got a better attack score then use the spear uppercut attack to stunlock every boss to death. TO's crafting system is a UI travesty where the simplest tasks is piles of menu busywork, layers of rng to get the postgame materials, and savescumming so the dice doesn't eat all your hard work but at least I could see that X + Y -> Z. All I got out of LoM and its built in tutorial is adding elements via the cards you got through playing music for the sprites, and I didn't know what elements did either!

(I love the presentation of Legend of Mana but yeah, I really don't like how it plays at all.)

I know that it was obtuse, but I kind of liked that about it. I mean, the game wasn't balanced around it, so it was a completely optional way to boost your stats, and the potential payoff is crazy. If the steps were laid out for you, then the game would have to find another method of balancing it (like making the mats even harder to get). So, on my first play through, I probably just did the easy, base-level upgrading and got by fine. But then toying with that system until you found a way to break the system felt a bit like it must feel to discover a scientific theory. I think it's cool that a game made me feel that.

My only complaint with Legend of Mana is that there's not enough danger in the battles. I love the battle system itself, but, yeah, you can just uppercut indefinitely. Easy difficulty aside, though, it's one of my favorite games. Interesting storytelling, memorable characters, cool systems (I thought so at least), great music and art, and a fun battle system that unfortunately didn't get tuned highly enough.
I'm still waiting for my FF5 and FF6 3DS remakes, so FF7 has to wait it's turn!

Jokes aside, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I don't think anyone would be as angry as they are if SE had just not hyped it up so much. I personally am in the camp that doesn't care if they remake it or not, but would probably buy it if they did haha. Though, it definitely makes sense financially to remake it at this point. And if they fuck it up? Well, at least we can play the old game on our PS4s as well!
author=Marrend

Welcome to the "benefits" of owning a PS4 over a PC or PS3 even.