[RMVX ACE] WHERE ARE ALL THE 10+ HOUR LONG STORY FOUCED TURN BASED VX ACE RPGS?

Pages: 1
First of all, this topic is not meant to put down anything that is different from what this topic is about. Please, don't turn this into a a topic where we talk about "how superrpgman hates anything besides this." I just want to talk about something specific here

So I wanted to play a completed project that's serious and turn based, where plot and characterization take place over combat, and I haven't played a lot of VX Ace projects, so searched through all 8 or so pages of completed projects.

The only thing that I could find that fit that criteria sadly was Incitement 2, which is a just plain GREAT game, but I've already went through it. Literally everything else seemed to be either really short, comedic, or a dungeon crawler. Those kinds of games are fine, but it just seems so odd that what I'm looking for doesn't exist.

Are there really no others? If so, why is it that no one has completed anything under the engine like this?

Does anyone know why this is the case?
unity
You're magical to me.
I'm working on a game that's 8 hours so far, though the battle system is CTB rather than strictly turn-based. I'm sure there have to be others out there that meet or almost meet your requirements, too.

There are also VX games that fit the bill as well :D
Yeah, I've noticed that there's quite a few non-ace games that qualify.

The big thing that surprises me more than just about anything else is that there seems to be more of what I'm looking for released on RPGMaker 2003 in the last year than there are on every other rpg engine combined.

Seriously, I wanna know why. Is there an issue with VX Ace when you try to make a 40 hour epic?
VX Ace is new. People who have been working on their RPG Maker 2003 games for years and years are finally finishing them up.

Games take a very long time to make, when they're not being made in a business environment. I've been working on mine for 7 years (all original assets in the NES style, no less). The amount of time necessary to fill out a complete RPG is why turn-based RPGs have become relatively rare in today's market. They are just commercial developer suicide.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
They're all currently incomplete.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Yeah bro I think the number one most important thing you need to realize RIGHT NOW is that creating 10 or more hours of gameplay is HARD for ONE PERSON to do. It takes a LOT of time. Possibly more time than Ace has been out. Like what I am saying is someone could literally have been working continuously on just such a game in Ace since Ace came out and still not be done yet.

In the meantime I don't know this is pretty close, go nuts?

Central Impulse, Incitement, and Incitement 2 are all pretty decent VXA games, all by the same person.

But you're right, there's a large lack of VXA games as of now. 2 years should have been enough to get some more than what we have, but maybe the next year or so will have better results.
Ask again in about 8-12 months and I'll have one done by then. My game is currently clocking in at 10-15 hours of play and I'm only about 40% done.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Here's a 50+ hour long one that's made in VX (A Very Long Rope).

I think you're just seeing a large number of really short games because there's recently been a huge $10,000 contest where everyone had 1 month to create a 1 hour long game. So there's been a ton of really short games uploaded here in a short space of time. So it's probably hard to find the 10+ hour labours of love in the vast amount of <1 hr labours of love.

The Logomancer is 10 hours long

Soul Sunder is 5-8hours. I highly recommend it.

Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
see CashmereCat's got you covered
Pages: 1