THE INTERVIEW

Pages: first 12345 next last
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
This is INSANE.

I can't believe this is actually happening. Since when were we scared of North Korea? Since when was our reaction to their threats anything but a heart national LOL?

My gut says that this story can't be real but I can't find any evidence it isn't it's being carried everywhere and the film's Wikipedia page reflects it too.
Ah well, straight to DVD. That said, it'll probably see higher-than-average DVD sales due to the controversy so I'm sure Sony won't mind too much (even if they don't get the first-day cinema sales).
It just sucks to see something get censored, regardless of why. There's no point in even being a production company/actor/director/etc if shit like this is going to happen.

I mean, what now? We just agree to not make fun of North Korea, or any other country? We cancel any movie that might be perceived as offensive? Once you open the censorship floodgates, where and when do they close?
It's the precedent, really. If companies back down from things because a terrorist threatened them, I mean, great. Totes. Go freedom, I guess.
On the one hand, blown up theatres and many civilian deaths aren't exactly something any company wants to be linked with. I'd imagine that even if Sony had said 'yeah okay, let's do this anyway' a lot of actual cinemas and employees there-of would probably back out. The whole 'not wanting to be killed' thing and all. World's dangerous enough without throwing yourselves into the firing line.

Can't say I blame them for that. It's not like it's the first time they've pulled movies and the like because of bomb threats, after all. The only reason it's such a bigger deal is because 'terrorists!' instead of 'random asshole!'.

Then again, it is sending a message that people will cede if threatened by extreme violence. (Not that it hasn't already happened in the past, though.)
I could understand not releasing it in theatres, that's obvious given the threats and the open invitations for threatres to back out. But not releasing it at all? That basically communicates that they don't care about what they produce, at least not enough to defend its right to a release.

Like, what should we do now? Phone up the North Koreans and ask them nicely to stop producing anti-US propaganda?
This is like that South Park 201 situation all over again.

*sigh*
Max McGee
author=Liberty
Ah well, straight to DVD. That said, it'll probably see higher-than-average DVD sales due to the controversy so I'm sure Sony won't mind too much (even if they don't get the first-day cinema sales).

Insanely enough they said they have no plans for releasing it on DVD, VOD, or anything.

I can scarcely imagine what the people involved with making this movie must be feeling right now to be thrown under the bus by corporate cowardice at the last moment.

This whole thing just feels so flagrantly like a 'the bad guys won' situation. It's really infuriating and depressing.
I saw a commercial for the movie just this morning or late last night, after seeing the news story about it being pulled. I raised one eyebrow as I watched, wondering what it would say at the end. Nothing. No release date, no credits. Just footage, footage, end commercial. It's like they're taunting North Korea now. Yeah this movie still exists and we're still promoting it muthafuckas!
Max McGee
If they were trying to stand their ground and blow a rasberry at North Korea, they'd just release the damn movie. As it is right now it's just the worst possible message/gesture of appeasement to a stupid little tyrant.

I think more likely the commercial rotation just hasn't figured out what to fucking do about this trailer yet.

ugh, this is so depressing...come on Hollywood...you spineless bitches...kind of has me at the exact opposite of the USA!USA!USA! woohoo Freedom of Speech mood I'd like to be in

author=zacheatscrackers
This is like that South Park 201 situation all over again.

*sigh*

the villain of Team America World Police is Kim Jong-il...North Korea didn't pull any of this shit then...I think it's because the presence of "glorious leader" in the movie wasn't heavily publicized as its puppet sex/making mock of American military hegemony was...(although they did make Kin Jong-il an alien cockroach)

this seems appropriate though

"it's kind of sirey, but not rerey, because it's filling my body with rage"

Yeah, that's about where I'm at.
Kim Jong-Un is probably trying to make up for the rumours of a coup that had been spreading around the world while he was getting an operation (and thus, was out of the limelight.)

It might not be specifically him making the demands, though, but instead political extremists. Terrorists by any other nationality are still terrorists after all. And threatening to bomb people over a movie sounds pretty damn extremist, considering KayJun never threatened to bomb the conferences where Yeonmi Park or Hyeonseo Lee talked about how bad North Korea is and her experiences growing up there and escaping, after all. She'd have been a prime candidate over something like this... not a movie.

So I'm thinking more extremist idiots. Every race has 'em!
Max McGee
author=Liberty
Kim Jong-il is probably trying to make up for the rumours of a coup that had been spreading around the world while he was getting an operation (and thus, was out of the limelight.)

Wait, Kim Jong-il is dead...right? I think you mean Kim Jong-Un his rolly polly baby boy.

HE SO HAPPY! This industrial lubricant is the greatest thing he has ever seen.

The FBI (I think it was the FBI) released a report that North Korea WAS behind the Sony hacks. (Sony's the distributor for The Interview.)

North Korea has been threatening the US with "merciless retaliation" for this movie since before the first trailers came out. They clearly do not have a good sense of humor.

Fun fact...actual North Koreans generally speaking are inundated with propaganda of their leader including the fact that Kim Jong-Un avowedly DOES NOT POOP. I learned that from a promo interview promoting...The Interview.
Right you are. I get their names mixed up a lot. >.<;

And yes, I've read enough about North Korea to know it's seriously fucked up. To them the Glorious Leader is basically a god and has no faults. At all. Ever. Or else you die. (And your family is in disgrace for the next however many generations.)

There was an interesting blog someone made from their trip over there, where they talked about how their every step through the country was shepherded and they weren't allowed to access any urban areas (though they managed to slip the leash once or twice) or interact with the populace at all. It was pretty scary to read about - I couldn't imagine what living there is like.

Thankfully people like the aforementioned women managed to escape and speak out on the world stage, letting people know of the horrors that go on there on a daily basis. It's literally as bad as/worse than Nazi Germany in the height of the war - only, you know, without bombs being dropped by enemy countries and all that.
author=Max McGee
the villain of Team America World Police is Kim Jong-il...North Korea didn't pull any of this shit then...I think it's because the presence of "glorious leader" in the movie wasn't heavily publicized as its puppet sex/making mock of American military hegemony was...(although they did make Kin Jong-il an alien cockroach)

this seems appropriate though

"it's kind of sirey, but not rerey, because it's filling my body with rage"

Yeah, that's about where I'm at.
Yeah, something about that quote fits this whole predicament to a T, haha.

For extra context to those that're rather confused, I made my initial comparison due to this situation rather... eerily mirroring Revolution Muslims' threat to Trey/Matt that the production of '201' would land them both in deep shit if they went through with it, even though the depiction of Mohammed wasn't going to be overly offensive anyway (hell, the fact that they were planning on showing him at all was enough to rile RM up). The Koreans both threatened Sony with bombings AND cyber attacked them, though... I'm not sure which is worse, honestly, haha.

But whatever the case, yeah, PC extremists in general are some of the most inept, sensitive fuck-knobs imaginable. These people just don't see the fine line between comedic portrayals that don't really mean anything to anyone apart from literal-minded viewers and genuine criticism... and I'm pretty damn sure an action comedy by Dan Sterling wouldn't be the latter. Again, though, the people in question we're discussing here probably wouldn't see that. And that's what's infuriating about this whole thing; the fact that Sony has to pay mind to these idiots just because they have a sore dick over how Jong-un is being portrayed... again, IN AN ACTION COMEDY FILM. WHICH SHOULDN'T EVEN BE TAKEN AT FACE VALUE. The masses might take it at face value, but we all know what a clusterfuck of stupidity society is today. But... it's just...

It's just ridiculous however you look at it, honestly.
author=zacheatscrackers
The Koreans both threatened Sony with bombings AND cyber attacked them, though... I'm not sure which is worse, honestly, haha.

Uh... bombings? Because, you know, lives and all that jazz. Cyber attacks can be gotten over but losing lives is much, much worse. It's not even a fair comparison?

Sorry but that was a pretty silly statement, you have to admit. XD
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Yes, yes, yes. Kim Jong-un said that "The Interview", if released, would be an act of war against North Korea. He sent hackers after us, whined and cried and was going to blow up all kinds of shit, and Hollywood said, "Please don't hurt us, Mister Treasure Troll Looking Fellow," and that was the end of the Interview.

That awkward moment when Hollywood reveals it's nothing but a tool for propaganda...
The movie looked terrible but this is setting a dangerous precedent for the future of the arts...

BUT Worth noting NK is denying responsibility for the hacks and terror threats. Personally I doubt their involvement, outside of their initial 'act of war' statement. Doesn't seem like them to try and quash the release--They'd love an excuse to go to war, wouldn't they?

Really, we have no idea who the GOP is at present. Could be bored American hackers who hate Seth Rogan trying to see how far they can push it.
author=Liberty
author=zacheatscrackers
The Koreans both threatened Sony with bombings AND cyber attacked them, though... I'm not sure which is worse, honestly, haha.

Uh... bombings? Because, you know, lives and all that jazz. Cyber attacks can be gotten over but losing lives is much, much worse. It's not even a fair comparison?

Sorry but that was a pretty silly statement, you have to admit. XD
Well, I meant whether the Muslims acting riled up just because of the possibility of their prophet showing up (wouldn't even matter to them if it were negative or not) is worse than Korean both threatening with bomb attacks AND doing cyber attacking just because a movie would negatively portray their supreme leader. I DEFINITELY wasn't comparing the severity of bombings vs. cyber attacks, haha; that should speak for itself.

Sorry, probably should've clarified a bit more.
Max McGee
That awkward moment when Hollywood reveals it's nothing but a tool for propagandagutless cash machine...

Fixed. If Hollywood was at all concerned with making America look good, the decision of the theaters to pull the movies and the subsequent decision of Sony to scrap the entire release wouldn't have been such perfectly rational actions on their part. (To clarify: the decision of the theaters to pull the movie follows the logic that they have a LOT of money to lose over the Christmas movie season if people don't come because they're afraid of bomb threats, whereas they lose a LOT less just pulling ONE specific movie from theaters.)

But all Hollywood cares about is money.

The movie looked terrible but this is setting a dangerous precedent for the future of the arts...

I didn't think it looked amazing either and I'm actually a pretty big Seth Rogen fan--I was still going to see it because it was BALLSY--but the actual quality of the movie is so completely beyond irrelevant now that Hollywood has shown just how little it cares about freedom of expression.

BUT Worth noting NK is denying responsibility for the hacks and terror threats. Personally I doubt their involvement, outside of their initial 'act of war' statement. Doesn't seem like them to try and quash the release--They'd love an excuse to go to war, wouldn't they?

Really, we have no idea who the GOP is at present. Could be bored American hackers who hate Seth Rogan trying to see how far they can push it.

I definitely do not believe their denials at this stage. I am pretty sure that "Guardians of Peace" is just "Bureau 121", the North Korean "cyberwarfare" brigade that the Feds identified.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile. This will only keep happening, and it will only escalate, now that this threat was successful.

Unless someone stands up to it.
Pages: first 12345 next last