[POLL] WHAT GAME WOULD BEST SERVE TO SETTLE POLITICAL DISPUTES?

Poll

What game would best serve to settle political disputes? - Results

Magic: The Gathering
23%
Yu-Gi-Oh!
14%
Monopoly
0%
Settlers of Catan
4%
Pictionary
9%
Dungeons and Dragons
14%
Connect 4
4%
Snakes and Ladders
0%
Life
0%
Risk
4%
Strip Poker
23%

Pages: 1
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Instead of going to war countries and political leaders need to settle their disputes by playing one of these games.

But which one would be the best and why?
I just like the idea of all the male, heterosexual leaders having to strip down in front of each other and be all awkward. It'd be hilarious. Especially if it became something of a global 'sport' that got televised. I would watch that, old-man wang and all, just for the hilarity of their embarrassment.

I'm not a fan of said leaders.

That said, you forgot Twister! Now that I'd watch. Bonus points for the paint variation where you have to dip your hands in paint of the same colour and deal with all the grabby-grabby that happens in a typical Twister game.

Not Monopoly, though. That shit tears families apart - I wouldn't want to see what it'd do to allied countries. I don't think the world needs more of the kind of hatred that game breeds. I doubt we'd survive such a thing.

And now I've got lovely images of the different world leaders having sleepovers with make-overs and reading Cosmo and just doing Hollywood's idea of a girls' night in. KJun is braiding Lizzie's hair while Obama and Putin paint each others' nails, and Abbot is just sitting awkwardly in the corner, reading out everyone's horoscopes aloud... you know, that kinda thing.
I say yugioh.

No other game I played has managed to bring people of all states of life together on level ground in a battle of wits. I've spent countless hours playing that game, and made quite a lot of friends in the process. I'm thinking that this is because of the great load of seriousness we put into our strategies and playstyles. We see each battle as a duel between gentlemen (or gentlewomen), but fight to the best of our abilities -- to death, even. But afterwards, we gain immense respect towards our foe. We find a new reason to admire our opponent, and to look forward to our next encounter. Or at least, that's how it went before college screwed us all up...

So unless one of the players is a dim-witted hot-head, yugioh will work well.
MTG is like that too, except the game isn't over in 2 turns. So I'll go with MTG.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Most pessimistic answer possible: Russian Roulette!

As cool as they are, many of these games are potentially rage-inducing. But we'd either want something that makes the players feel vulnerable and destroys power fantasies (like Liberty's suggestions), or something that encourages them to work together as a team instead of fighting each other.
So for that reason, my vote goes to Dungeons and Dragons.

(Though I would definitely like to see wars being replaced by games of Super Smash Bros. as well.)
I'd love to see a dispute solved by Pictionary. Just because it's so utterly absurd... "This island doesn't belong to you, but instead of massing the troops for an invasion, we're just going to see if I can draw the Easter Bunny better than you."

author=NeverSilent
(Though I would definitely like to see wars being replaced by games of Super Smash Bros. as well.)
Well, Nintendo is constantly telling people to SETTLE IT IN SMASH...

And as a fun aside, if you do an image search for Settle it in Smash, Addit's review of Super Smash Bros. Crusade is among the top results.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Oh, goddess, it was toss up between Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering, but dude I gotta go with DnD.
SunflowerGames

I chose Yu-Gi-Oh! just based on how absurd the animated cartoon makes the real game look. (But yeah, the real game is broken.)

Diplomacy of course.

Though I guess it would create new ones :D
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Magic the Gathering, but make them play for Several rounds (10+ in a row), and make it a special format, like Commander or Emperor.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
The correct answer is Bust A Groove

nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Does Jelly Wrestling count?
SunflowerGames

author=Zeigfried_McBacon
Magic the Gathering, but make them play for Several rounds (10+ in a row), and make it a special format, like Commander or Emperor.

Well it would either have to be Standard or Commander. Otherwise the game would be over before it even started. I mean these leaders can afford to buy the power 9 and play Vintage.

And let's face it: Yu-Gi-Oh! would need to go through a mega ban to fix its game. Practically removing the Fusion and Pendulum zone from the game.

Pages: 1