SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
@pizza: The beams do have that "conspicuous HD" look in a pixel art-focused game, but they're quite beautiful!
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I would think the lighthouse is supposed to be attention grabbing. Something that beautiful I would want my players to see!
Yeah, I've been thinking about ways to stay more pixel perfect with the effects. It's sort of a case of haste makes waste, but I'm trying to prioritize using photoshop to speed up the production of effects like this, since I can't afford to hand pixel light beams like that.

I might have an idea as to how to do them more accurately, but this works for now.
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"

Some new Ara Fell stuff you guys haven't seen before!

@Pizza amazing work as always keep it up~!
InfectionFiles
@charblar- the building looks flat to me, maybe have some grass overlapping the buildings. A small nitpick but since it's a ruin you'd think there would be some weeds/tall grass enveloping the building.
The Angel statue is also precariously close to that edge there

Edit: The building just generally looks off to me, like it was desaturated or something, it's a little blurry. Something else that stands out is the top part of the pillar being right in front of the entrance looks bad. I would shorten the pillar just a hair or two so it doesn't directly connect with the black door entrance.

Edit2: also, something that bothers me is that you can see all of the tree next to the building but the other trees have the darkened canopy. I have never really understood the canopy tiles because the view isn't top down. Like why is it darkened and not just leaves and branches showing?
It's mainly the first screenshot has a lot off to me. Like the trees root sits on top of the grass.
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
Yeah thats one thing I've seen with a few of the places we use this tileset hopefully we can get some small fixes to them to make them less flat.
Pizza, I love the lighthouse and the effect looks great. in a still screenshot it looks a bit too clean compared to pixelated look of everything else, but animated, it's awesome! I'm getting zelda vibes from the mood and attention to detail for some reason.

charblar, I feel like I haven't seen mac n blue in a while. I got a warm feeling inside seeing your screenshot. I agree that the building/ruins looks off. I doesn't have the same contrast between it's lighter and darker shades of color as the rest of the tileset. It's not a super big issue, but just something..
orange-
Pizza, I love the lighthouse and the effect looks great. in a still screenshot it looks a bit too clean compared to pixelated look of everything else, but animated, it's awesome! I'm getting zelda vibes from the mood and attention to detail for some reason.

Thanks. It's really good to hear that it's giving you Zelda vibes, since the 2D Zelda games were a big inspiration for this in terms of world building and my decision to make so many unique buildings/assets for everything.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
pizza, i love the lighthouse shading. i don't have anything to nitpick even.
Craze
pizza, i love the lighthouse shading. i don't have anything to nitpick even.

Thanks. It was hard to get it to look right given how everything else in the scene is lit, but I think it ended up in a good place, even if I had to break the top-down shading I'd been using.
Sooo over the course of a couple of hours yersterday I dove headfirst into parallax for the first time and it was awesome...until I tried mucking with a large map. So. Much. Work. First thing I did was the interior of a house. Basic.
Blur those lines a lot and it'd look a lot better. The strength of light you'd need to result in that strength of line would be pretty strong and it wouldn't reach all the way back into other rooms. Light from a window also doesn't create that harsh a line around the window like that, either.

...also those carpets make me cry.

All that said, the clutter is quite well done. >.<)b
Punkitt
notorious rpgmaker 2k3 shill

Working on the main hub area. I know the sides don't have little dots. Fixing that soon!
InfectionFiles
I like it, definitely different!
Concrit welcome, how else do we improve ^u^
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
@nevermore: Looks pretty neat! I'd probably complete the walls or add beams to the door on the bottom left, just to reinforce that it's an entryway and not some weird tile cut-off.
Might be a good idea to add beams to the door for aesthetic purposes, but when you see the whole map it is pretty obvious that its a door.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The doorway into the bedroom is pretty awkward. You should generally avoid making east-west doorways or exits at all unless they are at the edge of the map. Because the camera doesn't show them, they're extremely awkward. It's a little more work to create maps that only have north-south doorways but it's worth it. If you make the room L-shaped you can have a north-south door leading from the hallway into the room.

Your grasp on lighting is really good, it makes this map stand out compared to other RTP games. The size and density of the map is also really good. Your mapping is solid overall; any suggestions are going to be nitpicks, mine included.
ESBY
extreme disappointment
author=LockeZ
Your grasp on lighting is really good, it makes this map stand out compared to other RTP games. The size and density of the map is also really good. Your mapping is solid overall; any suggestions are going to be nitpicks, mine included.

I can't say I agree with this, the map has some pretty glaring issues that should be addressed and to say that any further suggestions on how to improve it are nitpicks is not good advice.

First off, for me anyway, the map is huge and looking at the bedroom it must extend at least another 5 or 6 tiles down - I'd really look at reducing the overall size (especially vertically) as it looks like you've created the rooms around the decorations and not the other way round. You can save some space by moving the whole right hand side across by two tiles to get rid of that weird gap thing in the middle of the building and the bedroom/dining room can easily be shrunk by another two tiles. Since you're parallaxing the bedroom could easily be move a tile up, probably even two.

The second area I'd look at improving is the layout - the bedroom being an enclave in the middle of the building makes no sense (wouldn't you want natural light?), a way of fixing this would be to put it on the right hand side of the building and having a more central hallway. Why is there a doorway on the left hand side but not one over on the left, try to be a little more consistent with how you separate rooms.

Thirdly, tile choice and usage. The carpeting still doesn't make much sense. I see a lot of needless repetition of the same or similar tiles with bedroom having two tables above two cupboards when one of each would create the same effect and allow you to shrink the room further, the dining room has the same two cupboards next to each other along with the top half of a cupboard tile being used as a table or something. There's boxes and wheat all over the place despite there being plenty room below the kitchen for storage. Unless there's a reason for it I'd never use one floor and wall tile throughout the whole home, use different tiles to create identifiable spaces (stone flooring in the kitchen, wallpaper and carpet in the bedroom etc). If you want to use sideways doors in your homes then you're going to have to change the ceiling tiles you use, it's really difficult to create the effect with the blocky RTP tiles, you'll need to create an edit for the ones with the thin border (I'll post an example).

And finally, the lighting. It's inconsistent near the windows, why does the furniture in the dining room create shadows but the kitchen counter doesn't? Is the house detached, why is it then that there's only windows on one wall of the house?

So yeah, "nitpicks".

I'll break down how I tend to do interiors. I take it to the extreme by having the interior size be 1:1 with the exterior size but I'd say that the first step for interiors is to just put down a floor that matches the shape of the building from the outside and then look at how you can carve out that space into rooms with a believable layout. Then decide which room goes where and rework the position of walls/doors if need be. The final step is to then decorate the rooms, I try to keep things as simple as possible and only put in as much as necessary to have the rooms be identifiable.

Hope this all helps, Nevermore ^^