SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

So, this is all the maps I've done thus far for the dungeon, lined up. Yes, they're still meant to line up even when split up into separate maps, that's just how I like to do them. Having them as one big map presents its own problems. Anywho, this is just the first area of Hokkai, before the second boss of the dungeon (the first is at the entrance). After that boss, there's still 4 bosses left (2 of which are fought at the very end, so that's really only 2 bosses before that one, meaning at least 2 more areas kinda like this one). Not sure what else to do with Hokkai at the moment...any suggestions?? I don't want to really go the teleporter route as I've done that enough in this game as it is, and there isn't really any gimmick or puzzle in this dungeon as I was trying to omit that for the most part for the final 3 dungeons of the game...>_<
ESBY
extreme disappointment
I'd look at rethinking how the player navigates on the upper map. It has two large stretches at either side where it's "walk along a straight line along a narrow corridor for forty tiles".

i did a maplet for the first time in forever
Hmmm...maybe I can cut the upper left out and make it into a deadend, and just have the bottom path join with the bottom left path? I don't know what I could do for the upper right area though, there's not too terribly much I can do there.
@Xenomic:
I see you added pillars. That is good. For that long stretch of tiles, just make it S-shaped or something. Anything but a perfectly straight line like it is now. Add another map to the top-right section if you need space.
Yeah, all I really did was just extend the walls further around so that the land bridge is held up by the formation itself. Well, except in the northernmost map, I didn't think it needed it there as it wasn't a super long landbridge like in the center map. I could probably remove that stretch of land that you can't access too to just curve it around and whatnot.

(Of note, almost all of my maps bar a coupe has an encounter rate of 80. This generally gives more than enough room to get around areas with little fighting. At least, I think that's what Locke thinks on that matter. Originally it was set to 40 long, long ago, but that was too many fights on these types of maps, so I set them to 80 which felt just right. Especially since most people consider my maps really big. Which I'll admit, some of them are, but not all of them)
Worked on the combat a bit. It's all going to be automatic when walking into enemies.

Still needs a bunch of work. Want the characters to be animated as well and maybe some floaty damage numbers. Those are always great.
author=ESBY

This looks really nice!
@momeka - dang, that is just beautiful stuff. as far as animation goes, i think it would look just fine if the enemy simply stepped in place. nice touch with the screen vibration; i can almost here the 8bit 'strike' sound effect. i'm also very happy to see that you can still tunnel through the 1000 corpses laying around. are numbers necessary with that heart bar you've made for enemies? maybe just put it above the enemy's head? I don't know - you're way out of my league :). keep this stuff coming; s'just lovely!
@Momeka:
I like it a lot! The combat seems very Frog Prince-y. Is it inspired by that?

I cleaned up a lot of the jaggy noise and added definition to the top of the wheat stalks. There are also about a million minor changes. I tried to add discrete wheat like LockeZ suggested, but it's beyond my skills. I also softened the colour ramp on the dirt to make it less contrasty and loud. I know it looks very similar in structure, but I promise there are lots of changes. Next up: adding in interesting details to break up the colours a bit more.

Old version for ref:
A brighter contrast might help a bit more. The colours of the sprite are contrasted pretty highly, so a recolour might be in order.
'

Very messy because I've got 5 minutes before I have to go somewhere, but hopefully it gives the idea.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
gross don't do that

or do it way less than that, at least, it looks like a circus
i have to agree with lockez on this one. the low saturation and the sprite popping out from the background really work well together imo.
also i really dont see a problem with that screen at all, it looks pretty great; for me its time for you to move on to the next area, lest you spend unnecessarily high amounts of time on small polish (which is a surefire way to bring your motivation down)

edit: ignore all i said removing the dark dots from your last edit did wonders kaempfer, it was well worth insisting on this lol
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Yeah the new version looks great
@Kaempfer: Yeah, the biggest inspirations for the battle system is "For the frog the bell tolls" and the fairune games.
Also that wheat looks way better, good job!
@Everyone:
Yay! I'll probably fiddle with the colours a bit, since they are a little dull when compared with other chipsets in my game (and the sprite. I like him to pop, but Libby is right about him popping a little too much here). That being said, I really like the current colour despite any problems it might have, so I probably won't stray too far away from it. It'll probably get a little more golden without straying into yellow. That can wait though because I want to move on!

@Momeka:
I just found out they translated The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls into English a few weeks ago and I've been playing it off and on. It's a lot of fun, so good choice!
Momeka: that's so grim, I love it !

I'm back with gifs of my new map: the Death Row

When you don't have the Dodge skill.

When you do, and use it before you get hit (don't mind the dialogue that's temporary anyway).

It's meant to be extremely deterrent, until you know for sure that you have the skill needed.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc

Early practice map in Zelda style since our team wants to make something like that for McBacon :D
@Frogge: Damn, Frog, damn! That looks nice.
@Frogge: I definitely agree, hell yes, this looks pretty great!
ESBY
extreme disappointment
getting there

show me wat you got?