SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

author=InfectionFiles
I personally love it Pancaek, if that's helpful.

It's helpful to my self confidence, thank you!

author=dorien1010
Pancaek that looks great!

Thanks!

author=Cazic
Are the colors changing or static, Pancaek?

Looks good, I like the art style.

The colors are static, I feel like changing colors would be a bit too much on the eyes for that big of an area. Also the art style is pretty much a ripoff of Hyper Light Drifter, but thanks!

author=zDS
Don't forget to have variety with the floor levels. Like, don't make the whole cave one flat surface. If that makes sense. Maybe add some floor cracks/holes?

Ah, it's actually suppose to be a forest, not a cave. Guess I didn't convey that well enough, and that'd be something I need to work on.

author=zDS
Also, I think you had the biggest improvement I've seen on this site yet in regards to art. Great work so far!

Wow, that's actually a really big compliment. Thanks, I'm glad my art has improved.
@Tuomo:
It is a big improvement over the normal autotile!

@slimeborgi:
Mohawk guy, lion-haired man and pirate girl? Now that's a spicy party!

@Pancaek:
A damn fine piece of work. What's with that bridge on the left? Can you cross it? I want to cross it. Let me cross it.

To make it more foresty, I'd suggest adding some foliage along the tops of the tree trunks, very faded, perhaps a single shade? I mistook it for a cave too, at first, before I noticed the tree trunk walls. A hint of leaves would change it from that black cutaway roof tile look that caves have and change it to a mystery canopy, I think. At least a little? Also, a tree (with the same trunk style as the wall) sticking out with its own defined canopy would help train the eye in a hurry.

edit: this screenshot deserves to be on this page and not lost on the last one:
author=Pancaek
The good news is, you have a neat cave ceiling tile. The bad news is, probably gotta make it more obvious its tree tops haha. Perhaps extend the leaves under the ceiling tile?
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Kaempfer
edit: this screenshot deserves to be on this page and not lost on the last one:
author=Pancaek

Looks like it was taken straight out of Hyper Light Drifter.

author=Pancaek
author=Cazic
Are the colors changing or static, Pancaek?

Looks good, I like the art style.
The colors are static, I feel like changing colors would be a bit too much on the eyes for that big of an area. Also the art style is pretty much a ripoff of Hyper Light Drifter, but thanks!

Oops. Guess that explains it. I suppose it's comforting that the person behind the game openly admits that they take so much inspiration from another work instead of feigning ignorance or somesuch.
@Kaempfer @zDs

Ah, the probelm is that the black part actually is suppose to be the foliage. The trees are suppose to have black leaves with a rainbow outline. I made the leaves more of a dark purple, and also added a tree by it'self.

Does that help at all?

author=Corfaisus
Looks like it was taken straight out of Hyper Light Drifter.

author=Pancaek

Oops. Guess that explains it. I suppose it's comforting that the person behind the game openly admits that they take so much inspiration from another work instead of feigning ignorance or somesuch.

Yeah, Hyper Light is an astonishingly beautiful game, and I want credit where credit is due. I take a lot of inspiration from it, probably a little too much, however I try to still be original with what I do with it. For example, although the art style is pretty much the same, the location above is something unlike anything you'll find in Hyper Light. I'm trying to make something of the same flavor, while having it be a completely different dessert, if that makes sense.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
I thought it was a cave too
@Pancaek:
We've all been aping the same three SNES games for the last twenty years. A bit of new blood is a good thing.

I understood that the blackness was the foliage, I wasn't suggesting you paint it green or anything. My suggestion was more to show that the black leaves had a shape. When I say subtle I mean subtle- a dark grey close to black to show a tiny bit of definition where the rainbow bleeds into the black. The lone tree helps a bit I think, because it visually defines the difference between "black canopy" (a la dark forests) and "black cutaway" (a la caves).
Not a big fan of the Photoshop effects, but hey, at least it looks like a forest to me. The sprite looks pretty flat ATM. Some highlights would definitely improve the form a bit (especially for the hair).
@Luiishu535 Thanks, but I don't actually use photoshop, and the only effect I use is a simple glow, of which I also edit heavily by hand. I'll look into fixing the sprite, thanks for the feedback!

@Kaempfer Hm, I think I see what you mean now. Something like this?

@Tuom_L I really like that tile set. I also think the house looks good. Couple of questions:
1. the path going to the well, it seems like too substantial a path to just be to the witch's well, does anyone else use it?

2. who put the treasure chests there? they look totally out of place.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Presumably those are the witch's treasure chests, but I don't think anyone actually cares if a video game has inexplicable treasure chests in random spots. That's just video games, man.
ESBY
extreme disappointment

instead of putting a chest in a random spot, how 'bout a bodach-sneachda?
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Two chests. There's one behind the tree too.
author=Rhuan
@Tuom_L I really like that tile set. I also think the house looks good. Couple of questions:
1. the path going to the well, it seems like too substantial a path to just be to the witch's well, does anyone else use it?

2. who put the treasure chests there? they look totally out of place.
author=LockeZ
Presumably those are the witch's treasure chests, but I don't think anyone actually cares if a video game has inexplicable treasure chests in random spots. That's just video games, man.

Yeah, Lockez said it well. They're actually witch's treasures but for reals, they're just for the player to discover and find.

I didn't think others would use the well but I also thought that if she lived in the cabin for long (and she does) she'd want to make the road to her well refined, I mean she would get the water on daily basis. Potentially even multiple times a day too, seeing as she most likely uses water in making potions too.
@ESBY: that looks awesome

@Tuomo_L: I always get annoyed with inexplicable treasure chests - it's a pet peeve of mine
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=ESBY
instead of putting a chest in a random spot, how 'bout a bodach-sneachda?

A what?
*Google*
Oh.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Rhuan
I always get annoyed with inexplicable treasure chests - it's a pet peeve of mine
Yeah OK but someone's house is the one place that a chest is actualy explicable. Dungeons and wilderness are where they don't make sense. Houses are where chests actually exist in real life.

My parents have a treasure chest in their back yard. It's made of plastic and any adventurers who discover it will acquire 8x pool chemicals and 1x garden hose.
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
While it's true it would make sense for the witch to have treasure chests, would she really have something so fancy and expensive looking? Red-painted and gold-lined? A wooden chest would fit better.

And the placement of the chests are sorta inexplicable. Like, why off to the side and next to a tree? Anything for storage is placed in the relevant area and in a convenient spot.

I personally don't mind inexplicable treasure chests.
@Pancaek:
Yes. Exactly like that! Looks great. Have you experimented with adding a few 'leaves' to the top of the canopy, as well? Like, the tiles (or whatever) that would hang over the player. I know it wouldn't make 100% sense in terms of angle, but there's a lot of empty black, and that little bit of detail helps to delineate it nicely. I noticed you used a bit to show depth, and it looks good as is (also you don't want to add a conspicuous amount of detail and break the consistency, I understand), but it might be worth exploring.

@Tuomo:
I have absolutely no problem with chests found in improbable places, but I think the reason yours look out of place is because their placement seems truly random. I've placed lots of chests in forests and caves and other places you'd likely never find a chest in real life, but I've put a lot of thought to where each one has gone. They've never been random. If both chests are just sitting out in the open, why not have them conveniently placed next to the house? If they're supposed to be rewards for exploring, place them near the edge of the map or in an out-of-the-way place so only people who search a bit get the treasure. I mean, you can see both clearly while reading that note on the door every player is going to visit- you're just making them walk a few extra tiles. You said they're there for the player to discover and find, but neither of those verbs really apply to chests that are extremely hard to miss.

So much chest discussion. The house looks great! Are those rocks above the chimney or is it smoke?

@Esby:
Looks good! My only complaint is that the trees and character are super deformed but the house seems to be realistically proportioned. I doubt you're going to change that, though!