SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

Posts

author=ellenor
Ellenor posts some stuff...


Is some of the sprite work/concept art inspired by Breath of Fire? Because I saw several that gave major Breath of Fire vibes like the blue-haired character (Ryu), the snake-woman (Deis), the winged-woman (Nina), and the concept art for the frog guy (Jean).

It looks great. I was just wondering if that was the inspiration.
author=Arcmagik
author=ellenor
Ellenor posts some stuff...
Is some of the sprite work/concept art inspired by Breath of Fire? Because I saw several that gave major Breath of Fire vibes like the blue-haired character (Ryu), the snake-woman (Deis), the winged-woman (Nina), and the concept art for the frog guy (Jean).

It looks great. I was just wondering if that was the inspiration.


Wow you were really quick to notice =P
Yeah you are spot on, breath of fire is a huge inspiration for the project.
Gretgor
I have started my journey to get my first 4/5 before dreaming any bigger than that. Gradual and steady does it... hopefully.
2682
@ellenor that looks sweet!
author=Gretgor
@ellenor that looks sweet!

Thanks! The secret is to get whipped by your programmer. XD


The concept of my battle screen is put together. Whatcha all think?

The black space immediately below the ground will be used for messages like 'critical, hit, dodged, win' etc.

The bottom left menu will slide down from the main menu. The Item Description image I'm thinking to make flip into view quickly (2 frame) from beneath the slide down menu.

Also space on the bottom of the screen for message display to the player. The top right and left will be pop-up messages between your character and enemies. All battles will be 1-3 enemies.

Concept only - everything will be cleaned up to be prettier. This was mostly to line everything up.
@Gretgor:
I didn't do much, but I'd be flattered!

@Jpratt:
That's looking very cool. Will terrain play a big role in the combat mechanics? Because the way it's looking now, it's very clearly displayed and would lend itself well to terrain-focused skills and modifiers.
Terrain and weather, yes. Mostly it will have an effect on base stats, where small changes can have big impacts. Outfits and armors can counter some effects or even use them to an advantage.

For example, being wet can have an effect on stats. That can come from heavy rain or wet terrain.

Windy weather (ie rain storm) can also have effects, such as dispersing smoke effect in fewer turns. This also lends to enemies capable of changing the weather in battle, such as calling in a blizzard, and having that weather persist after battle. Or they may clear the weather, or change the temperature, which could impact the player differently depending what they are wearing.

The terrain will be less prominent once the detail is added to the rest of the screen though. It's primarily just the art style for the battle backgrounds. It will be neat when enemies are partially submerged in water or show breaking out of the ground though. :)
Messing around with mapping. Revamping some stuff for my old post-apocalyptic rpg.

@giznads I have been struggling to get my cityscape to look apocalyptic, but you make it look easy. That looks stellar.
@Giznads
My man you never disappoint, it's like the perfect amount of grittiness with a tad of vibrancy to give it character. I love it man!

You still working on this project with Rm2k3?
The best part is how easy it is to read what is what. A lot of games that attempt the apocalyptic look tend to over-detail or blend to hell, making it hard to see what, exactly, you're looking at. This works really well, though.
author=Giznads
Messing around with mapping. Revamping some stuff for my old post-apocalyptic rpg.

IMG

Absolutely stunning. Looks like a map I'd see on GW etc during the golden age of 2k3. So much polish.

If anything, I'd lower the brightness on the dirt/terrain just a tiny bit, as it looks more saturated than everything else here - unless that was the effect you intended.
@blind I quite like that affect. I think it's part of what makes it stand out so much. Though, in game it may not be as esthetically pleasing.

@Giznads The only thing that strikes me as odd is how an umbrella could remain standing upright through the apocalypse.
author=Jpratt
@giznads I have been struggling to get my cityscape to look apocalyptic, but you make it look easy. That looks stellar.

Thanks, man. I appreciate that!

author=KoopaKush
@Giznads
My man you never disappoint, it's like the perfect amount of grittiness with a tad of vibrancy to give it character. I love it man!

You still working on this project with Rm2k3?


Thanks, big dawg. Can't wait to play Shadow Seeker!
Yep, still an ongoing thing in rm2k3. I just polished my battle system design and such, so now I'm finally ready to move on to mapping and plotting the story out.

author=Blind
author=Giznads
Messing around with mapping. Revamping some stuff for my old post-apocalyptic rpg.

IMG
Absolutely stunning. Looks like a map I'd see on GW etc during the golden age of 2k3. So much polish.

If anything, I'd lower the brightness on the dirt/terrain just a tiny bit, as it looks more saturated than everything else here - unless that was the effect you intended.


Hey dude! Yeah, looking at it, it does seem a bit vibrant. Once played in game the desert sand storm overlays and such kind of mask all of that though. I'll get them kinks worked out. Thanks for the kind words homie, hope BR is moving along fluidly!

author=Liberty
The best part is how easy it is to read what is what. A lot of games that attempt the apocalyptic look tend to over-detail or blend to hell, making it hard to see what, exactly, you're looking at. This works really well, though.


Thanks so much for the compliment! Coming from you it means a lot!

author=Jpratt
@blind I quite like that affect. I think it's part of what makes it stand out so much. Though, in game it may not be as esthetically pleasing.

@Giznads The only thing that strikes me as odd is how an umbrella could remain standing upright through the apocalypse.


It's a stronk ass umbrella, homie.
Gretgor
I have started my journey to get my first 4/5 before dreaming any bigger than that. Gradual and steady does it... hopefully.
2682
@Giznads that looks epic! I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work it takes to make all those custom tiles. Did you make them all? I normally only use refmap cuz I'm not very good at editing my own.
author=Gretgor
@Giznads that looks epic! I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work it takes to make all those custom tiles. Did you make them all? I normally only use refmap cuz I'm not very good at editing my own.


Hey, thanks man. Much appreciated. I'd say about 30% of these graphics are pulled from other games, just heavily edited. The other 70% is royalty free stuff I either purchased of downloaded for free, but also, heavily edited to suit what I'm going for.
Okay, follow up. Would love some strong criticism before I implement this as my final model.

Couple things to note:

The inventory menu slides down; resting position is top screen, open position is bottom.
Top right and left have room for pop up chatter boxes.
Bottom right has room for pop up item use messages.
Just below the terrain image will show text such as critical or status effects.
Enemy panel on the right backgrounds have a skull or I can do without a skull where it's a bit more faded in the middle. Wondering if I should only use the skull for defeated enemies and use something else for when there is not an enemy in that slot. Thoughts?
Enemy names show up under their HP bar. It's a lot darker as the bar drains. What should this box look like when there's no enemy, or after the enemy has been defeated?


Gretgor
I have started my journey to get my first 4/5 before dreaming any bigger than that. Gradual and steady does it... hopefully.
2682
author=Giznads
I'd say about 30% of these graphics are pulled from other games, just heavily edited. The other 70% is royalty free stuff I either purchased of downloaded for free, but also, heavily edited to suit what I'm going for.

I see. Even so, the composition of the map is really good!
author=Giznads


Wow, I can't get over how good this looks. Really makes me want to explore it.
author=goji
Wow, I can't get over how good this looks. Really makes me want to explore it.


Thanks much, my man! Hopefully I'll have the page back up, and a demo ready soon.