SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
ExtremeDevelopment

We've reached the point where "slanty ara fell lighting overlay" is not only used in almost every game, it's now used at NIGHT.

Your map would look just fine with only the lamp lighting. Cut out the wavy shit.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Anorak: Even if they should logically both be covered in snow, find a way to use a different tile for the roof than for the ground. It will look WAY better, since it'll help give the map shape and definition, not to mention variety. I mean, logically that ridge around the edge of the roof should be covered in snow too, but you're right to not put snow there, it helps make it visible. The same thing applies to the main surface of the roof. Or maybe make it so the ground's been shoveled? (Alternately, try not to lay out maps this way, with a building that's approachable from the north. Doesn't tend to work so great. Makes your job harder than it needs to be.)

Also yeah that bench is all of one pixel off the ground. The character's shoes are three pixels tall. This is what happens when you combine RMVXA tilesets with RMXP sprites. Pro tip: don't do that, at least for manmade objects. (The trees are fine though. Trees can be any size.)
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
author=Craze
ExtremeDevelopment
We've reached the point where "slanty ara fell lighting overlay" is not only used in almost every game, it's now used at NIGHT.

Your map would look just fine with only the lamp lighting. Cut out the wavy shit.

Ummm I wasn't trying to copy Ara Fell in any way. I think it looks good. It looks too plain without the overlay anyway.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
No one accused you of copying Ara Fell intentionally, that was just the first popular RPG Maker game to use the shitty, terrrible, horrifying, unbearable style of lighting that you absolutely need to stop using ASAP and no one should ever use under any circumstances.
Frogge
author=LockeZ
No one accused you of copying Ara Fell intentionally, that was just the first popular RPG Maker game to use the shitty, terrrible, horrifying, unbearable style of lighting that you absolutely need to stop using ASAP and no one should ever use under any circumstances.

Hmmmm I don't think it's bad.......
Atleast it has lights, unlikely to many games today :\
LockeZ
Lights that come from nowhere, are streaked for no reason, and appear at night. It's absolutely nonsensical. Light doesn't fucking work like that. Just using the lighting around the lamps would be ideal, but no lights at all would absolutely be one billion times better than that horseshit.

You like random overlays that make no sense but make your screenshot less "boring"? Here, let me add some more to you. They look equally good.

Been a while since I last posted here. Well, here's a little something that I did for my current project.
It's the VXA charas un-chibified and recoloured! What do you think?

* I made: four variations of People1, and one each of People3, People4, Riding, and Actor(4/5).

Edit: If you're going to ask: yes, I made the Grass and Dirt tiles. It's crudeness should give that away.
Frogge
@LockeZ-I am still not so sure. It does look a bit better to me.

Karin-They look a bit weird. You may want to make them a bit smoother.
LockeZ
@karins: Deleting every fourth row of pixels and making every eighth column of pixels appear twice in a row isn't the same thing as "un-chibified." It just looks bad.

If you narrowed them without also stretching them vertically it would look a lot less bad. It would still look pretty bad, since it would still be disproportionately stretched out. But at least it wouldn't also be expanded beyond it's originaly size. Both of those are things you should never ever ever do to any image under any circumstances. Try to maybe undo at least one of the two?

(Well, stretching disproportionately can be okay if it's, like, just a geometric pattern, rather than a picture of something. Definitely don't ever do it to pictures of people, like you did here.)

Considering that the VX Ace charsets redone in RMXP style is already a thing that exists you should probably use that instead.

@Extreme: Do you not get it? Those streaks of light make no sense. First of all, why would there be visible shafts of light outdoors at night? There's more light coming from the town than from the sky, so that doesn't make sense. Sunshafts are only visible in very specific situations when there's exactly one light source. Second of all, the streaks of darker and lighter areas only make sense if the light is shining down through openings, such as windows or gaps between tree branches; there's nothing here to cause that effect so the light would be even.

It has nothing to do with how "cool" the effect looks in the absense of any context. The problem is light doesn't work that way.
@ExtremeDevelopment: I agree with LockeZ and Craze. If you just darkened the scene and warmed up that lamplight or something it would look perfectly fine. That overlay doesn't really make a whole lot of sense and putting it there "because" isn't really a good reason to light a scene like that. All it does is make the map look like it's behind a pane of glass.

@Karins: They look scrunched up and distorted... Because they are. If you want to de-chibi the sprites I'd recommend doing it from scratch instead of free transforming the existing ones.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
@Karins Oh by the way your grass and dirt tiles actually look good.

Edit: Whoa, I'm pretty sure Extreme and I pressed "Submit" at the exact same time, because when I pressed submit, it finished loading and his post was below mine. That's weird.
Frogge
Fiiiiiiine. I won't do overlay anymore.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
Or just make an overlay dependent on the map. Sorta like I do with the Maps in P:A

Funnily, I did make a joke about WE ARA FELL NOW because I knew at least one person who hates that senseless lighting style would get a kick out of it.
author=ExtremeDevelopment
This could be the next #thedress XD
Already has been.

There is things I could show on my end, but I'd rather show off this amazing music piece by my composer.

"You thought nightmares were bad? Just wait until you see your true self in a mirror. I am morally what you cannot become, a shadow of impetuous disregard for feelings and emotion. I am the single perversion of survival, your id... master Cookiedoe. Would you really dare to fight a being so undeniably intimidating your mere nightmares exist just to suppress him?"

With that edgy load out of our way, here are some incredibly difficult to read design sketches. The grouping of the 7 squares is the maplayout (horizontal) of Stage 2, there's also a storyboard in the other spaces.
@ExtDev> Yeah, there are loose pixels here and there. I suppose I'll redo them.

@LockeZ> I'd rather make them myself, so that I will be less dependent on other people for resources. I also don't want my credits list to get too long...

@Pizza> I guess I could re-draw them. I mean, I *did* just resize the charas to 36 x 28 (following the proportions in 2k3) out of laziness.

@Cash> Really? Thanks! Though I think the dirt looks messy. Well, at least it does tile perfectly.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Just based on the way Archeia Nessiah made Ralph look I'm going to make him a bad guy later in the game.

Frogge
Why does Eric have Ralph's bust?
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
Haven't shown anything off lately but so here is so new stuff for Hanging On

(Truck is by Pizza so direct your compliment his way~)

@extremedev I'm guessing eric is the party leader and ralph (being actor 9) is a party member but kory hasn't moved yet to show them in the party... ANYWAYS haven't seen Luna Engine being used a much lately so yay.
Frogge
AWWWWWW IT'S SO CUTE!
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Oh so you're continuing with it, charblar? Without removing a lot of the content? If so, I'm glad. Your stuff is looking really good. Also it is a cute truck ^_^