SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

New battle background with Hornet enemies. What do you think?

slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Ah Erave, those colors are great! The enemies pop out pretty well too. I like it a lot!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Thank you for making the shadows look like shadows instead of black puddles.

Also yeah. A+ on the visuals. Though I've never really been a fan of normal insects as video game enemies. Like, I've killed hornets, twenty at a time, in real life, and I don't even know a single magic spell. They only even attacked me twice, and I took zero damage both times because I was wearing a hat. I worry for the future of the realm if our heroes consider this a grueling battle.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Hornets scare the piss outta me ;_;

and those look like big hornets
author=LockeZ
Like, I've killed hornets, twenty at a time, in real life, and I don't even know a single magic spell. They only even attacked me twice, and I took zero damage both times because I was wearing a hat. I worry for the future of the realm if our heroes consider this a grueling battle.

Watch out, we've got ourselves a BADASS over here! XD I bet they were the tiny, puny variety that die in one hit, though, and not the 4-5 foot tall monstrosities we see in RPGs. :P

Wasps and I...don't get along. I've had a phobia of them since I was a kid (got stung several times when I was really young), and DAMN do I hate them. They're so annoying and pester me whenever they get the chance, and they can SENSE your damn annoyance and buzz around you more and more until you either leave, attack them (pissing them off even more), or they just decide that they REALLY REALLY want that ice cream in your hands and are willing to bite you over it. ;_;

...So if I end up in a JRPG and see hornets the size of PEOPLE...I will promptly have a heart attack and die on the spot. Unless I know a fire spell. Then I will burn the entire map down to the ground in an attempt to murderate the giant wasps.

Seriously, !@#% wasps. They serve no purpose in the world! At least bees pollinate crops and make honey! :(
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar

fuck wespes
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Off topic for the thread but in regards to the wasp/bee chatter: When I lived in the country some years back now a giant tree cracked in half revealing a killer bee hive that was all up in it.
My house was only a feet away from the tree and the bees started attacking my dogs and myself. They were extremely aggressive and stung like a bitch and it really became like that one movie where the town gets horded by bees.

Annnyways, me, my brother and a friend drove up to the nest in a car and threw bug bombs into the nest and tree, and we pelted the hive with bird shot for good measure.

We must've killed like five hundred+ bees, it was a bloodbath. Gained like three levels that day...

COUNTRY LIVIN' YEEEEHAWWWW
Here's the battle background in action, with the first boss of the game. The Battle Sprites are old and will be updated soon:

A forest area:

If you're interested we are doing the whole Twitter/Facebook thing. Trying to slowly build a following.

https://twitter.com/SomethingClassc
https://www.facebook.com/SomethingClassicGames

Hopefully be able to pick your brains about battle balance and boss construction soon. Maybe have a demo of the first area that you guys can check out so we can get some good feedback.
author=Cap_H
Crap, I'm total dumbo. I read your post, then moved on something else and then returned to comment on it. I though that's the original PS One (tho you don't write anything about ps) title. Somehow I turned text on its head in my head and wrote that piece of crap.
My reaction suggests that the now one really caught the style, man.

No worries man, I've done it before to.
And thanks, I wanted to get it as close to the original as I could.
Still just a wee bit iffy on it.. it might need more improvements.
@Erave:
I so dig your Tile Sets, but your Charsets don't seem to match that style. Their size reminds me of the old NES RPGs, but the environemnt seems too look much more like SNES stuff. I'd love to see if you could merge tile sets and char sets a bit more. :)

Well if the development of your game is already full in mution there might be no possibility to change that much in general graphic style :)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Eh. There were certainly plenty of RPGs on the SNES with tiny one-tile sprites like that. In general I would describe almost all of them as terrible-looking, though:

Your tilesets and color palettes are certainly pretty enough to ascend beyond the awful visuals of games like FF Mystic Quest, despite the similarly stubby characters. I really dislike these kinds of chibichibi characters since they prevent me from taking anything that's happening seriously - they don't look enough like people and they are pretty much incapable of identifiably performing almost any actions except walking. But your tilesets would need to be reworked if you made them taller, especially any manmade tiles, so it's probably not worth it. If your game doesn't have much of a story and is meant to have an atmosphere that's very much about wilderness-exploration, then obviously the character graphics are the least important thing on the screen.
I rather like them, actually. They're very cute and I prefer them to their remade versions which are just... no thanks.

That said, I think the issue is that the shading on the sprites are too complicated in comparison to the tiles. Just a tad.
It's normal when the characters are more complicated than the tiles -- this detail pops them up. But yeah, I do think they could use a bit of work. Anyway, this looks absolutely stunning! The only thing I'd complain is the battle HUD. Font is rather tiny, straight white on semi-light blue. You could omit things like MP (have it appear only on the magic selection window), not display the max HP... Or just try a change of font because Small Fonts is a really ugly one haha

Oh, just another thing about the characters -- I just noticed they have hard lines, opposing the scenery which features soft lines. This is something we normally want to avoid because hard lines really look dated, especially on 16x16 characters. I'd go for a hard outline and soft inlines. But that's me.

Also @InfectionFiles ;_;

just ;_;

I have a pretty fucking brutal phobia of bees, wasps and et cetera, though I've been only stung by one like 8 years ago. That's because mom would scare me out of going to the kitchen saying a bee-cockroach monster'd be waiting for me, and that they are horrible and kill. Today I kind of can't stand them and I WILL "walk" away. If I see one coming I'll scream and run. >_>

EDIT: Nevermind about the charset stuff, I saw them here and they look fine
Thanks for the feedback on the graphics, I'll pass it on. This is all things we've been discussing before. Just in case anyone was confused, the battle sprites are temp. There possibly could be a difference in the sprites and tiles because they were done by two different artists. Unlikely at this point that we would make the sprites bigger though since we're already a good ways in. And in case anyone is wondering all the resources in this game are 100% custom. Most is done in-house but we did spend a big chunk of money to get those lovely tile sets.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=LockeZ
Thank you for making the shadows look like shadows instead of black puddles.

Also yeah. A+ on the visuals. Though I've never really been a fan of normal insects as video game enemies. Like, I've killed hornets, twenty at a time, in real life, and I don't even know a single magic spell. They only even attacked me twice, and I took zero damage both times because I was wearing a hat. I worry for the future of the realm if our heroes consider this a grueling battle.
LockeZ confirmed hornet-stomping badass.

@Erave: those colors are nice, not a fan of the retro style but that's just a personal opinion, not to mean it's bad in anyway.

Personally I never understood the large appeal of making pixels bigger for more 'beauty', i'd call it nostalgia which doesn't exist for me despite my age because the first game i played was Oddworld Abe's oddysey, a cinematic plat former that makes most graphics even in this day and age look bland or unappealing.

Not to say graphics make a game, certainly! I myself have no right to talk down graphics, given my history.

Here's a trailer for my most recent release (3/14 because of reasons). I've done my best to keep it artistically cohorent as I can, there's definitely some maps I'm going to go back and touch up, though. Need to add some detail but the time it takes demanded too much of my time getting the plot done.
I know, it is a super weird music choice, but I figured with how much Yu-gi-oh unwittingly or not referenced the Illuminati, I'd go with it.

I'm not putting the demo up here, if you wanna find it you can work out how to since I don't wanna advertise it. Just wanted to show y'all the trailer.

E: To Clarify, I will probably put it up when it's complete, right now its a demo.

Stuff I did today. It's been slow, since I'm going home on break soon and I can't force myself to think of working on shit.

My main concern is the texturing on the carpet there. I've been trying to imply a lot of detail without doing straight up textures, but I don't know if it looks like a carpet or just a purple floor.
Pizza I love the monochrome thing you're doing, and I know thats like a "thing" of your game, but it can come across a little drab. I would consider adding complementary color highlights to the monochrome, (e.g. some kind of aqua green in the purple world, some orange in the blue etc.) just a thought.

also that floor reads more as grass than carpet to me. maybe a consistent but minimal texture could work with the style, rather than a few tufts here and there.
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
Title screen for Orbis, a game by a member of RMWeb.
(I trust you guys will not nip it :P)
author=Dookie
Pizza I love the monochrome thing you're doing, and I know thats like a "thing" of your game, but it can come across a little drab. I would consider adding complementary color highlights to the monochrome, (e.g. some kind of aqua green in the purple world, some orange in the blue etc.) just a thought.

also that floor reads more as grass than carpet to me. maybe a consistent but minimal texture could work with the style, rather than a few tufts here and there.

Yeah, I might ditch the monochrome thing and just try to create a more natural focus on certain colours instead. Pixelling in monochrome is starting to suck the life out of me.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Warning: Massive Images

The birth of a new world. Still a WIP (note the big empty field and lack of islands), but this is probably going to be the general shape of the world for Tales from Zilmurik.

I think it's kind of a compromise between the large world I wanted and the small one I started off with, which makes me feel good because that's what this whole revision is essentially all about, combining the old with the new.

2007 World Map

2010 World Map 1/2

2010 World Map 2/2

author=Corfaisus
4:45 AM and I gotta mak gam. I just need to come up with a good idea for this world map and I'll be set. It's just a shame that it's late and I'm getting tired-loopy and I can't work for shit.

Guess I'll go to bed then. :\

EDIT: 5:36 PM the following day: Eureka! I've got it!

I took a little bit of the Tales from Zilmurik Origin, Feral Solidarity and Mystic Dawn world maps (because they all take place in the same universe) and smooshed them all together. The big empty spot inland is going to be filled later. There's also going to be mountains dividing the Ice Forest, Lireseron/Firebreath Volcano and Catacombs areas to the northeast.