SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
author=Cap_H
Smaller showcase of resources for my little 20xx project (which is broken right now and I can't playtest right now):
These look very neat. Some of the objects are a bit hard to see but I imagine zoomed it wouldn't be so bad. Very cute.

author=kory_toombs
Seconded on the RTP sprites appearing a bit bright. Some desaturation might help. I like how the houses look.

I wanted to share this with you guys. I got animations and 8-way movement in my little engine:
author=BizarreMonkey
author=kory_toombs

RTP sprites against hyper-detailed backgrounds... doesn't really work.

Like I'm the last person who should speak about this, but god damn that would look great if the rtp actors weren't such eyesores against the rich detail and tones of the map.

That's like putting a sprite from Super Mario in a game like Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee.

Somehow, this actually doesn't look odd to me. Possibly because I grew up with TV in the 90s, where shows/cartoons had jarring CG special effects. And 2.5d stuff.

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar

Thinner sprites would look better with those doors, though.

No more the lighting overlays. A scene from the rehauled Lady of the Lion ( or Tristy to some of you ).
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Looks really good Luchi! Every rpg game needs one of those cliff scenes XD
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
@kory: I like that graveyard map a lot. Those buildings are beautiful, are they free to use or did you rip from from Suikoden? Shadows are inconsistent though. The church only has a shadow for the lower half of the building and not for the tower. The tree has no shadow at all. IMO you should either make all the shadows in the game match the objects they're attached to, or not have shadows in the game.

@Luchino: Only thing actually new in this screenshot is the panorama background, I guess. Good job with it for the most part. The color of the sky is a little awkward, and I'm not sure I'd tint the sun or clouds, unless this is a flashback.
Frogge
One of the few maps I'm proud of that don't use parallax mapping:
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
What light source is casting the shadow along the left wall? Or is the groundjust darker (or wet) there? Otherwise, really nice. I feel like I should recognize the graphics from some Super Nintendo game.

Also, I'm curious, what are those four thingies below the map? Some kind of player interface?
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

@LockeZ those houses or from Fantastic Buildings: Medieval.
I'm not sure who the author of the gravestones or those dark trees are though.
I got that tileset from downloading one of the English versions of the XAS engine demo.

I think the most annoying thing about the Medieval buildings is that the doors and the edge of the buildings don't both line up with the 32x32 grid.

@ExtremeDevelopment: Still required some use of an imaging editing program likely. Not sure what those 4 things are LockeZ, but they look like part of the map since the wall is surrounding them.

Frogge
Kory-It will make sense in the game. It's inspired by the puzzle from it moves where you can step on panels to remove and rise certain blocks. Those are just a hint. When they are all down one from another room will also be down allowing you to pass. It will make more sense in the game.

Sated-Isn't it supposed to be empty? It's a wasteland.

Oh and I think it was you Kory. You said something like ''I made a tutorial on how to make grass in parallax mapping''. Is there a link to it anywhere?
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/1036/

4 minutes into the first video.
Not really a tutorial on how to make grass, but you can see me doing it.
Frogge
Ahhh it's so loooooooud!
Thanks XD
Frogge
I didn't think so >_<

Alright Kory your parallax tutor was really helpful. Thanks a lot!
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D

This is a trail from a major city, so it's supposed to look well-worn. I'm not sure how much, if any more, decoration to add before it looks unnatural. Players can jump across those one tile river gaps to explore the grassy area if they wish, so I don't want to widen the river.

I don't know. Maybe it's my desire to add more functionality, but this doesn't look good to me and I'm not sure how to make it look better. Any advice?
Shift mapping with the grass would help a little more. Add more trees in order to make pathing. Break up the path a little, too. Try making the river thicker and use the water properly (those current tiles are cliff tiles, not bottom of river. If you use the water tile next to it in conjunction with that tile, you can create depth in the water.)
Try using the 3-tile rule with both the water and canopy - that's what it was meant for (3-tile rule is basically 'don't use the same tile three tiles in a row. It adds more shape and gets rid of straight lines).
Try breaking up the tree line a bit more, too. Check out this video for more ideas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6-nCvLja2U
Here is a screen of one of the new maps in my game Mystic Knights. It's not in the current version, and I would like some feed back on to see what if I can improve the map.