SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=bulmabriefs144
Given that houses used to be one-room buildings with maybe a loft, this is okay I guess.
Be fine if it was just one floor, but having it two or three stories tall just sets off a red flag.

Edit: Shit I thought someone had posted blarr whatever! I'll make use of the page topper.

Let's just pretend because we're on separate pages that there was no double post, it never happened, yes? RIP double post 2015

Tristy's ascension wheeeeee...
Mana conservation and restoration is the only thing that sometimes makes this boss hard.

Also, I promise you guys won't see anything from me on this thread until well into next week if that.
Fixed up my interior map.

Old.

New.
The carpet design still has that resolution problem someone else already mentioned. That design would work at snes resolution but definitely looks out place here. Maybe reapproach it and adapt a similar design using the proper pixel ratio.
author=BowelMovement
author=bulmabriefs144
Given that houses used to be one-room buildings with maybe a loft, this is okay I guess.
Be fine if it was just one floor, but having it two or three stories tall just sets off a red flag.

Edit: Shit I thought someone had posted blarr whatever! I'll make use of the page topper.

Let's just pretend because we're on separate pages that there was no double post, it never happened, yes? RIP double post 2015

Tristy's ascension wheeeeee...
Mana conservation and restoration is the only thing that sometimes makes this boss hard.

Also, I promise you guys won't see anything from me on this thread until well into next week if that.

My houses are usually single story (maybe an attic or a basement but this doesn't add to size. Double post? What double post. I only see the post on this page.

So wait, your game has both battle types?
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"

Still a wip, don're really know how I feel about it.
ESBY
extreme disappointment

Still a couple of issues but I think I've got my travel system working. Unsure how to make the map a little more visually appealing, any suggestions?
author=Sated
author=bulmabriefs144
You can make all the excuses you want, but those maps are awful.

The interior map is far too big relative to the amount of furniture that's there. Even if you were to add more furniture, it would still be too big for what you're using it for. It could be a lot smaller and still fill the same purpose, and it would look a lot more organised as a result.

The houses are too flat on the outside. I know that "bigger on the inside" is a common trope, but that's not the problem. The problem is that the height/width/depth of the outside of the houses should be proportional to one another (even if they're not proportional to the inside) and that simply isn't the case in this example. The houses aren't the only problem because there aren't enough houses; the houses that do exist are too far apart; that is a ridiculously small amount of "farm-land" even for a small town (unless that "farm-land" is only for the house it's next to, in which case it should be fenced in!); since when is "farm-land" in the middle of a bloody town anyway?; the paths don't make sense since who the fuck walks around in squiggly lines?; the "destroyed" buildings don't look destroyed at all etc.

The house is the width provided by the roof. I don't have to explain myself to you. But I will anyway, to humor you.

American towns are built on a grid system. But traditional European towns didn't have this nonsense. They were built to skirt around obstacles rather than plow throw like jerks. They favored meandering roads based on natural landmarks. As in, we have paths based around where people walk, not cutting down trees just to make a perfectly straight path.

It's a small farm. It is not necessary to fence in a farm in a small town where everyone trusts each other. For all I know this is a series of families living in the same town, intermarrying/inbreeding, and giving to the community. We have a huge commercial farm outside our doorstep, no fence, no nothing. Several farms in fact, from the typical soy/wheat/corn rotation to a guy growing sunflowers, to people with sorghum. In all cases, if I so desired, I can walk into the field. There is such a thing as urban agriculture, and it's trendy now.

The point is, I don't need to answer to your sensibilities. There are plenty of farms. Plenty of houses. Plenty of types of communities. I did improve my rubble.

Almost identical to my town, only 11 houses vs 4, but identical scattered build plan. Shush, you're wrong. So, yes, maybe everything's outta scale, but I'm just gonna shake shake shake.

What I do want to know what I could add to is the inside of this inn to give it more of the right feel. I do think it's empty but I'm not sure what to fill with.
ESBY
extreme disappointment
While it may be "realistic", it's still not a good map. It doesn't matter how good your reasoning is if you fail to execute it.
masterofmayhem
I can defiantly see where you’re coming from
Also notice how those homes are lower than the ground and wider than the ones in your map.

If you drop the height of the buildings 1 tile and extend the back of them 1 or 2 tiles it should be fine. Like this.

See the difference?
unity
You're magical to me.
author=bulmabriefs144
Shush, you're wrong. So, yes, maybe everything's outta scale, but I'm just gonna shake shake shake.

You're certainly entitled to do whatever you want with your maps, but I thought the whole point of posting works-in-progress in this thread was to get feedback on them.

You're getting some good pointers from people with a lot of mapping experience. They aren't being "haters" that you need to "shake off." Flat out telling them that they're wrong is defeating the entire purpose of posting here.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=masterofmayhem
So I just drop down a screenshot from my project and people tell me what they think of it?

Because that's what I'm doing if that's how thing work.

Do your worst internet.

Oh, I intend to. Events (E) are edits.

• If you're going to use part of the pillars and turrets (the thick tower chips), you might as well use them all. I'd also recommend cutting into the lower chip of the pillar so that it doesn't extend all the way to the end of the tile. This frees you up the tile at the base of the pillar and also makes the passability look better.
• It's not necessary to cut a wall off if it leads into a support column. Use the middle tiles in this case.
• I forgot to include it, but increase the height of the staircase to four tiles. Each vertical tile accounts for half of the height increase.
• Use shift-mapping to remove the borders around the lava (or in my case, water).
• One of your ramparts was using an incorrect tile (outer northeast instead of inner northeast). There is a subtle line leading diagonally down the side of the chip that tells which side of the wall it's meant to be used on.
• Carpet in a lava chamber doesn't seem like a smart choice.

• Invest in a ceiling autotile that blacks out everything inside the border. This brings the player's eye back to the important parts of your map. In my case I used the RM2k castle ceiling tile and decreased its brightness in Irfanview to closer match the Rm2k3 palette.
• Remove the black around the pillars and move them to the upper layer of your chipset. This makes the tiles actually usable instead of ugly and unnatural like the tree autotile in VX Ace.
• At the second floor of the building, return to using the darker base chips to match the first floor.
• Remove the top layer of the stairs on the bottom-left hand corner of the map. This prevents the player from walking into it sideways while under the ceiling autotile (default passability settings).
• I would strongly recommend doing something about the carpet layout in this room.
• The circular tables should be used if people will be sitting on all sides of it instead of the desk table for obvious reasons (leg room).
• Not mentioned with an (E) but remove one of the cabinets from in front of the liquor shelf and move the pub sign to the side of the wall (also make sure that the pub sign is set to be above hero). Move the painting from behind where the pub sign now sits and place it on another wall so as to not be obscured from NPC view.
author=ESBY
Still a couple of issues but I think I've got my travel system working. Unsure how to make the map a little more visually appealing, any suggestions?
How about adding some depth, also rivers and mountains? Maybe some of the bigger landmarks as small thingies.

@bulmabrief
Realism should only be enforced if it makes the map look good.
charblar
author=ESBY

I think it's really cute so far tbh. Maybe adding a compass rose? I don't think you need to to much to make it that much better!
masterofmayhem
I can defiantly see where you’re coming from
Thank you Corfaisus . That's advice I can actually use.

Fun fact, the reason I didn't use a ceiling autotile at first was because I'm using the 2003 chipsets, and they for some reason don't have one. I have discovered however that the 2000 chipsets do have them. Go figure.

Anyway, updates!

charblar
Oh yeah additionally @bulma
This is coming from the user who had their sprites at 2x the resolution of their tiles (and I had a problem with depth of buildings too but I fixed that) I'd really suggest to follow some options on here people know what they're doing and when I finally made that jump to actually fix the pit I dug I really saw what people were talking about and your not going to get feedback on a lot else on your maps then what sticks out.
author=SnowOwl
@bulmabrief
Realism should only be enforced if it makes the map look good.

Fair enough.

author=][img
http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/games/7980/screenshots/Image_4.jpg

This room has so many problems. Too many entrances and exits. It has a prison style gate, but a pub setting. The red carpets scattered about. The staircase needs to be even with the wall nearby (that double L thing looks weird). The crystal in the middle of the room... nothing works about this scene.