SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

Punkitt
notorious rpgmaker 2k3 shill
author=Frogge
That looks adorable, SpicedMocha. However I'm personally not a fan of having the oily tiles with the pixel ground :P
Do you mean the thick lines/thin lines thing he's got going?
Those screenies look great, Erave! I especially love the battle background. Very nicely painted!

Here's a thing:

I usually don't like soft lighting effects with pixel art, but I can't resist the moody atmosphere that it brings.
The tiles are from Dragon Warrior Monsters and the charsprites are edits from Ys 2 (NES), but that's the sort of graphical style I'll be going for.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
The atmosphere that i feel from that screen is that they cut off their light unexpectedly. I mean, i can see some sort of pub or tavern at the upper right corner, you'd think a place like that would be usually very lit, what with client comforts and all that, but in this case it seems pretty dark. Interesting choice.
author=Mirak
The atmosphere that i feel from that screen is that they cut off their light unexpectedly. I mean, i can see some sort of pub or tavern at the upper right corner, you'd think a place like that would be usually very lit, what with client comforts and all that, but in this case it seems pretty dark. Interesting choice.
Yeah, kinda close to what I want. It's meant to be very gloomy, since it's basically a camp inside a dungeon (it's a safe place, but not happy and very makeshift. The tavern is the only semi-permanent thing there.), but I need to make some candle or lantern props so the lighting makes sense.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Normally pubs and bars are dimly lit, at least a lot of hole in the wall places are. I like it!

Made the interior of Summer's house for Songs from Aelsea. Learned some good workflows for making non-generic interiors. Lots of work, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run, even if it does kill me to do every house in the game like this.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Looks fab, Pizz. I hope that you can speed up by reusing elements in the future.
Looks killer , Pizza. Totally clean, like always. The only nitpick I have is the entrance vestibule overhang archthingy needs a thicker black top, it's just so thin and a little busy with that thin overlap. I also think your stairs could be a little better.

Looks really cute though : )
CashmereCat
Looks fab, Pizz. I hope that you can speed up by reusing elements in the future.

Yeah, there's some stuff I could reuse later on like sinks/toilets/ovens etc, so as I build more houses I'll end up getting more pieces, and so on.

Dookie
Looks killer , Pizza. Totally clean, like always. The only nitpick I have is the entrance vestibule overhang archthingy needs a thicker black top, it's just so thin and a little busy with that thin overlap. I also think your stairs could be a little better.

Looks really cute though : )

Thanks. Yeah, the entrance was a bit of a fuck around. The overlap is there to force the depth some more, but it's causing some issues that I'll definitely need to look into. The stairs, too, could be way, WAY better. Probably things I'll come back to once I make more houses.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats

Replacing a still image for an intro with this. The water is a panorama that scrolls down while everything else is a picture. The spots in the background create the illusion that the water on the horizon is moving and sparkling (and hopefully a sense of depth which it lacked with a flat horizon) before turning to blood via a screen tint that only affects the panorama due to how RPG Maker 2003 works.

Original resources

Replacements (Background text will return)
So, I was playing around with tiles for my game, Dusk of Renica, and I made this little test map out of boredom and for the reasons of using new tiles for the game. Unfortunately, I'm not too sure if the tiles clash too much or they are fine for the maps that'll use them, so I'm getting an opinion from the artists of the community.

Here's the screenshot of the test map:

Tell me what you think: okay or no way?
It's not bad. I'd expect that the sign would have pathing leading up to the front of it since that's where people would read it from, meaning they'd walk in front of it, meaning they'd tread down the grass and a path would form. Try to make the dirt less sporadic and more like where people actually walk.

Around trees would be more grassy, especially in such a green-heavy area like this. Mushrooms would be under trees in the shadow, too. There's a few tiles that don't work together that well - the RTP trees are a bit too unsaturated to work with the rest.

Try to give a little more white space - not every spot needs sudden detail. Use emptiness to lead the player's eyes in the path they should be taking, making use of both ground tiles and decoration tiles.

Try not to have too much of the same type of decoration tile near each other (for example, red mushrooms are right next to a red flower. Or the line of flower, plant, stone. Or the right-most middle part with yellow flower tree tree, and under them pebbles, weeds weeds, weeds. It's a little excessive). It makes it look too busy.

You've got a good frame to work with, though. Just try to pull back the details a little bit.
I count 8 different types of trees. Try sticking to 2 or 3. One primary, a secondary to break up the clumps, and maybe a centerpiece tree.
@Liberty and Ramshackin: Thanks for the advice! I usually have a bit of detail OCD when it comes to mapping because I usually see maps that are super detailed. But then again, a game is more game-play over art most of the time.

With that, I feel a little more confident in mapping out the other maps for Dusk of Renica. I might be back later for more screenshots, I don't know. We'll see if I need any more tips from the mapping experts/advisers.
Punkitt
@Corfaisus
Hey, that seems like a really cool effect! I'd love to see it in action.

@Zephire
I think your tree tiles and stuff could turn out pretty decently, but you'd need to make the paths obvious so the player doesn't get lost!

Working on a thing:
Here's some shots of our airship. What happens is the code tells the game to take a screenshot of the land you are flying over when you access the ship deck and it uses it as the shot underneath the clouds. 1st shot is sailing over Dradora and the other is over the Haunted Swamp. It's those small things we are polishing as we get ready for our (hopefully) late Q3 or early Q4 release this year. What do you think?

I imagine eventually we'll add propellers to the ship as this is a palette swap of the water ship.

www.somethingclassic.net
Punkitt
Wow! That's an awesome little touch. Makes the world feel more real. Nice work, Erave!

Also, here's the other test. I still need to work on my cave tiles and my up animations. Any advice?

Very cool, do the clouds move a little?

I just checked out the game page and I'm curious, what libraries do you guys use for your engine?
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH Punkitt, that looks beautiful.
Pizza, I also love your style and characters! :)

I thought I would share some screenshots, too: