SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

@Xenomic:
Rooms don't always need to be square. Experiment with shapes a little. Here's an edit I did in paint.net of that one room.

The primary function of the edit is just cutting out a huge deal of empty space, which is a big problem in your mapping. Remember that a character is 2x1 tiles. If a character on average is 6 feet/1.8m, that means each tile represents about 2-3 feet/0.5m-0.9m. A normal sized bedroom usually ranges between 10-15 feet in diameter, which is only 2-3 tiles. Obviously, that doesn't work out quite right, so you'll want to scale up a LITTLE, but... that blank space in the original map has a 10x10 empty area in in front of the door. That's 40-60 feet wide. And that's just that one empty area, not the whole room. Obviously it'll never be a perfect comparison given the aesthetic style of SNES-era graphics, but keep that in mind when you're deciding on room sizes.

@Punkitt:
I like the effect a lot, but I think the arrows are SLIGHTLY too pointy (minor!) and a little too close to the center of the action. Like, they should take up less room on screen. They're actually behind the hands, which is sort of like a weird bit of clipping; my guess is they're supposed to frame the action, not distract from it, right?

author=Xenomic
I've never done a split room in confines this small. Hmmm.
That room is colossal. It is important that you realize how huge that room is. Even in my edit, there's a tonne of dead, empty space. I could have cut it down even more, but I wanted to show you what a small change could do.
Oh. Huh. Reason most of my rooms are square is due to how often I've been yelled at about the shapes of my previous rooms I've tried to make not completely square/rectangle. >___> But yeah, I like that a lot. I'll give it a try and try to size down the room (blaaaah...) and see how it turns out from there, I suppose. Or I may try it like Lib's got it (though I may have to do it horizontally instead of vertically for this room maybe. Hmm...)
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
It's good to make use of black space too, Xeno. you don't have to fill up even the standard smallest size of a map, use the black space to make rooms smaller.
Oh, I know about that. I've done that on a few occasions before in the past. I just never feel like I can fit in things that I want to fit in whenever it gets too small is all. I believe I've mentioned this before in the past too. ^^;
Is there a way to have both A and B?

Of course the camera must move in for more intimate things. As should it move out when there's things too see. I think by default it would be B.

Deltree
doesn't live here anymore
Oh, haha, y'all are still talking about the A/B thing when I already committed to B a few days ago!

The camera automatically zooms in slightly for cutscenes and when interacting with/speaking to characters to make it more intimate, so, that's all good.

Since Unity is a totally 3D engine, getting sprites to look "right" is a monumental task in and of itself. For instance, all the sprites in the game are actually imported at 400% resolution, then scaled down to 25% with a bilinear filter, so it "looks" pixel-perfect. Trying to bring in sprites 1:1 makes for a jittery, broken mess - believe me, I tried! So, there's not an easy way to make the pixels a consistent size, but this method gets things close enough, and lets me do camera zoom tricks close to losslessly.

Anyway, enough words! Thanks again for the responses!

Been working on Love in Blue (the full version of the game from the Birthday event). It's getting there. Yeah, I decided to do a 7x7 window.
ESBY
extreme disappointment
why are the treasure chests transparent?

make interiors small, then make them smaller
Top right one is transparent because it becomes 'real' after the puzzle is solved.
The gold one... because cool, magic chests.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
author=ESBY
make interiors small, then make them smaller

Your dedication to small maps is great and those tiles are very nice it looks very real but I think there should not be a painting on the bookshelves so this map sucks 11/10
T-The smallness! I am mortified by the smallness! I much prefer them big than small!

(Lewdness abound now, I am sure. But in all seriousness, that is pretty nifty mapping. Wish I could do it like that but...yeeeeeeeah)
That looks brilliant, Esby! I don't have much to say beyond that. The sprite and tileset look great!

It's been a while since I posted screenshots, so here we go!

Ice cavern! And yes, there will be slippery ice puzzles. As well, since I believe that every dungeon should have at least two distinct types of areas, there is also an Palace of Ice located deep inside the cavern.

Here's a screenshot of the dungeon's first floor in the maker, for those interested:

These screenshots are for my game Exile's Journey. Check out it's page if you're intrigued. :-)
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
More screenshots please and thank you, dethmetal

Here's a couple of screenshots for a small thing I'm working on that was originally meant for the RMN anniversary event. It's a spooky game about trying to fall asleep.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Liberty, it turned out really well. I like the simplicity and the chosen reso.
Esby's interior as lovely. It's Esby's interior.
I prefer smaller maps. I think that examples on this page show it purfectly. You don't have to add so many details in 3x3 room.
It may get harder when adding puzzles. Puzzles should be only big interiors. Even a big dungeon map is better when divided to smaller parts.

For a side project I'm doing to get back into the groove of gam mak. It's intended to be text-based if anyone asks.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
@dethmetal- Wow! I really like the dungeon design and detail! Great job!

@esby- Wait people DO put paintings on bookshelves? But that makes no sense how are you gonna reach the books
@dethmetal: I really, really like that ice dungeon. Like, a lot. There's two things that bug me: 1) that tint. It's already icy enough without it. 2) the lack of contrast. I get that it's ice-based, but everything is blue. In the palace bit, even the torches are blue. Add some splashes of colour!

@esby: I'd hang out in that curio shop(pe).
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
@Blue: Argh! The mood is right! It looks very creepy and interesting. I like it!