SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

author=Sevens_Ace
I've been working on my game's animated intro for the last couple weeks in windows movie maker 2.6 lol. Eventually I'd like to use Adobe After Effects to move still images and make it more professional. All images and audio were made by me.

...This is just my personal opinion, but if I started playing a game with an intro like this, I'd close it after 30 seconds. If you're going to make me do a lot of reading at the beginning of the game before you've given me any reason to care about what I'm reading, at least make the text go by at a pace that matches how fast the average person can read. I'm not a big fan of the 15 second wait time before another line of dialogue shows up. The music is nice though.

Sorry if I seem a bit harsh, but honestly I really dislike exposition dumps. I'm a strong believer in the "show-don't-tell" principle. If you must have a dialog based intro, at least try to make it go by as quick as possible, with as few words as possible. The player is taking away some of their own time to play your game, so try not to waist it for them.

Hope this wasn't too brutal, and good luck with your game!
you guys have this thing about posting your own stuff without commenting on the ones previously posted, i'd be pulling my hair if i were grindalf
@Pancaek You cant please everyone. I believe a good intro dialogue is crucial for a game. Yes the text in some scenes are going by slowly because like I said, I want to use Adobe After Effects later to add still images to the backgrounds I have shown... Characters, Scenes, etc. that fade in and out with the dialogue. So the player won't actually be waiting if those are added in.
@Grindalf I love the angled roof tiles. Do you plan on doing a lot of complex shapes like that?
Vandriette
"The purpose of life is to end." -Agent Smith
author=JosephSeraph
you guys have this thing about posting your own stuff without commenting on the ones previously posted, i'd be pulling my hair if i were grindalf

I tend to just say "Meh" if my map is scrolled over tbh @_@
I figure it should be ok to ask this here... beats making a new thread for it anyway. Anyone know what these letters mean?
@zeello It looks a lot like sanskrit to me. Might be a good place to start looking; could be a derivative of sorts?

Edit:

@zeello: Actually, looking at it further, it very well could be Siddham script, which is a parent language of sanskrit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siddhaṃ_script

The second letter looks like a 'u':

The third letter looks a lot like 'ah'.

author=Necrile
@Grindalf I love the angled roof tiles. Do you plan on doing a lot of complex shapes like that?

Not really just a few specific tiles. That one is specific to being a roof tile I will do a few like that.
@JosephSeraph I still get more love from this site than any other so its all good. Plus I don't often comment on other peoples pics so its my own fault :P
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
A vastly better way to figure out what it means would be find out where the animation came from. Do you remember where you got it? If not, upload the actual animation file to your locker instead of a screenshot of it, and do a reverse image search on google.

Though, even without being able to read the text, it almost certainly spells out the name of a special attack. I'd bet a hundred makerscore that it means something to the effect of "Shining Disaster Blade" or "Perfect Iron Slash" or whatever.
@Sevens_Ace

A good general rule is to only tell the player what they absolutely need to know at the beginning of anything with a narrative.

And if you insist on telling more than that, you can't take three and half minutes to barely say anything.

If you're just looking to improve your movie-making skills, by all means continue, but I don't think that works at all as an intro to a game.
@Badluck, Yes this is what they need to know at the beginning. Basically the entire dialogue is a message from a man who has placed it in a seal that is binding the gates of that fortress.

I'm more than sure that a warning message of an attack on the world, is worth 3 and a half minutes to describe, in the best way you can. lol.

Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats

Experimenting with various designs.
author=Sevens_Ace
@Badluck, Yes this is what they need to know at the beginning. Basically the entire dialogue is a message from a man who has placed it in a seal that is binding the gates of that fortress.

I'm more than sure that a warning message of an attack on the world, is worth 3 and a half minutes to describe, in the best way you can. lol.

There are plenty of other ways to give that information bar text dump in the introduction. Have the player find a book that tells of it, which they can read through, or have it told to them when they actually visit the seal, or they can hear it from a descendant of his.

Like, how does your game play out? Typical 'teen hero wakes up and goes off to do mundane task and oops, adventure through accidentally finding out about something special'? If so, then leave the explanation until they find the thing or try to find out more about the something special.

The only way this could be played well is if the hero wakes up in bed after this and goes all "What a weird-ass dream" or if they start the game actually at whereever and talking to this dude who is telling them all the details. And even the dream sequence could take place another time or be cut really short (give them the last 10 seconds, have them go "wow, what a weird dream... I don't remember much though?" and then have them unlock the rest of it over the course of the game instead of being info-dumped.)

The reason we're telling you this isn't to criticise but to help - we've all done the slowly timed text dump starters before and we all cringe a bit at them looking back. They're slow and bland and instead of getting you interested in the world and it's history, they force you to break away from the character and their story and instead think about other things and - worst of all - guess how the game will play out. If someone feels like the know where the plot is going in the first 10 minutes, unless it's super interesting, they will be less likely to want to play the game because they know where it's going.

Give the player a chance to get to know the character and -care- about them before you go shoving them into the cooking pot, OR go all in and have the game start with them already in the middle of the cooking pot and being melted.

There's a reason Final Fantasy games stopped doing the slow text scroll intro-dump, and it's because it wasn't very good. Maybe look at how some other games do their introductions instead.

For example, Chrono Trigger has you wake up in bed and rush off to a fair, where a princess gets sucked through a time hole and you follow after. Breath of Fire II had your father tell you to go look for your sister, only to come back to your home town after finding her to realise everyone there has forgotten you and both father and sister are missing. Suikoden had you turn up for your first day of work at the palace and having to deal with jerks and collect taxes from a nearby town (and fighting bandits). Suikoden II had your youth brigade attacked by your own country and Prince, in order to make it seem like a peace treaty had been broken, and to escape you and your best friend jump from a cliff into a river.

There's a lot of ways to introduce a world and conflict without dumping a bunch of text at the beginning.
If you're gonna do the text dump, set it up so that it can either be skipped, or sped through like any other dialogue so that quick readers can get through it at their own pace. It generally shouldn't be more than a minute long.

It should also be visually stimulating; have scripted events play alongside it, animation, colorful slides; Anything that keeps players mentally engaged in it instead of long pauses between lines against a dark background.

The first five minutes of your game are gonna make or break it for most players. And that's your opportunity to really sell it.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Liberty
go all in and have the game start with them already in the middle of the cooking pot and being melted.

Do this and kill off your main character within the first few minutes. It really pays off in the end. You can then follow it up with all the listless bullshit you want to show how dull the rest of the world really is when you're not out making a difference.

Lesson learned: be a hero because life sucks otherwise.
author=Sevens_Ace

The problem is it's a warning message of an attack on a world that the player doesn't care about yet. Pulling off a sense of urgency before the player has even started playing is near if not impossible. Your player's attention is earned, not deserved. That's why intros should be kept to a minimum. Unless your into is like Hyper Light Drifter's in that case just have it go on for a few hours and everyone will be happy

People are trying to give you advice to help your game. Please, don't just shrug it off.

author=Corfaisus
Experimenting with various designs.

Wow, looks pretty look. Wish I could give some better feedback than that, but I can't really find anything wrong with your maps.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
There's no excuse for making the player wait three and a half minutes to start playing. There's even less excuse for doing so with nothing but boring, enigmatic text drawn absurdly slowly on top of an inspirational photo that you got from your mom's facebook page.

Show, don't tell. If you think this text is important, then keep it. Definitely keep the music, because it's fucking awesome. But overlay it on top of the gameplay as the player is playing through the first five minutes of the game. And if at all possible, make that gameplay be the player discovering of this declaration of war in the tower you're describing.
author=LockeZ
There's even less excuse for doing so with nothing but boring, enigmatic text drawn absurdly slowly on top of an inspirational photo that you got from your mom's facebook page.

so much lol
Corfaisus
"A romance old as time." I immediately flashed back to Beauty and the Beast. Is there any way to reword that to make it sound more high stakes fantasy and less Disney?

Experimental map for a possible new area in my game.