SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

Keep in mind that my encounter rates are set to 80 by default, and there's coding to disable encounters for the first 10 steps after battles, so encounters don't happen all the time. I'm sure there's people that can attest to the encounter rate in the game. That's really the only reason I keep the maps as big as they are. ^^;;

It does take me ages to get the stupid maps done though. Forest maps (which I WAS going to do next) take me far longer than these types of maps (the Hokkai maps I did are similar to this one, but the layouts are different to a degree? Maybe??).
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=slimeborgi
pics

If you're going by Dragon Quest standards, they usually had very open maps, so no need to fill in more. Unless of course you have ice sheets or ice bergs you can add in the frozen latitudes

Here's a room from the main hero's castle, a sorta storage room. The bottom left is empty because playing a tune on piano makes a secret staircase appear that leads to treasure room.

Continuing with the adventures of the wasteland, trying to make it seem more desolate the further in you go! I actually like how this map turned out, there's actually a few places to put treasures too. And yes, I'm aware that the left side looks like you can walk to the left, but you can't. There's quite a few maps in the game where it looks like that, but you can't go that way. Locke knows allllll about it right now (and I'm sure Marrend does too?).

And how it looks with everything together!

On that note, how do you guys manage to get your screenshots with the entire area? Do you just do it piece by piece or something? Because after this, I can't really show the entire area in a Gyazo, and the main image is going to make things look too small due to 25% viewing mode...
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Xenomic
And yes, I'm aware that the left side looks like you can walk to the left, but you can't. There's quite a few maps in the game where it looks like that, but you can't go that way. Locke knows allllll about it right now (and I'm sure Marrend does too?).
One rock would solve this problem.
There is one thing I would suggest (bar something to break up the brown monotomy) - giving edges to the slopes that lead up/down. Just straight ground tile looks so awkward. What I usually do (when I use slopes, which I don't because they usually look pretty meh) is use the cliff edges instead. I also edit a one-tile-wide version for, well, one-tile-wide slopes.

Example time~
Ah, I see. Yeah, that would definitely help. Following these FF4 maps a little TOO hard with the slopes. >_<
@Harmonic & Doc Saturn
I pretty much did that, added small details to the snow

@Kaempfer
I'm doing this on RPG VX Ace I wish it used a similar tileset lay out to RPG 2003.

Finally I'm now implementing monster recruiting into the game.

I also added a additional box that shows if a monster can be recruited.

I may also add a box that shows the monsters rarity.

I can't get the name input processing to show up after a battle. So I think preset names will be given then they can be changed afterwards.

For the next demo I'll have 20 recruitable monsters and 10 slots at the monster farm. (Testers will get to try this feature out with less monsters just to make sure everything works)
@slimeborgi:
Ah, my mistake. I thought you were working with Rm2k3 for some reason! RMVX can be a pain. Can you use a special autotile/set of tiles to mimic new coastline, maybe with the help of shift mapping? I know it most likely wouldn't be animated, but it is snow after all... ice?

The monster capturing stuff looks good. I'd suggest having a special character who renames monsters for you, similar to Namingway from FF4 (but for monsters!).
author=Kaempfer
@slimeborgi:
Ah, my mistake. I thought you were working with Rm2k3 for some reason! RMVX can be a pain. Can you use a special autotile/set of tiles to mimic new coastline, maybe with the help of shift mapping? I know it most likely wouldn't be animated, but it is snow after all... ice?

The monster capturing stuff looks good. I'd suggest having a special character who renames monsters for you, similar to Namingway from FF4 (but for monsters!).

That's what I had planned on doing. Also since the monster farm is so small i think I'll have monsters leave behind a Heart when they are released back into the wild.
These hearts can be used to fuse into other monsters and get newer ones.

Could a Parallax background work for the ice boarders? I don't think a special tileset specifically for Ice boarders will work with the ship/boats. Maybe I'll be able to make the boarders events that lie under the player and change with the times of day.
@slimeborgi:
Use a set of upper layer tiles. Like, map the water as usual and then place the ice borders (half ice border, half transparent) over top of them. Set the tiles to have full passability and there shouldn't be an issue.
author=Kaempfer
@slimeborgi:
Use a set of upper layer tiles. Like, map the water as usual and then place the ice borders (half ice border, half transparent) over top of them. Set the tiles to have full passability and there shouldn't be an issue.

But If it's upper tile won't it the player pass under it? Or I'm I confusing that with Star marked tiles. I'll test that out.

Edit:

So I can make a bunch of events that act as a boarder. Which is good. The upper method lets the player walk on the boarder the ship can't pass it. Doing it sort of how you said(half transparent/half Ice), but making them events and below the player is what I'm going to do.

I must question how this took me all day to do...in any case, this is the last BIG map I have to do. There's 2 more maps, one of which is going to be a small room that has the save point, and then the final room which contains the entrance to The Void as well as the boss fight with Yukari (whom I still need to properly test, yay). After that? Not much left here except putting in treasures and sprucing up maps (like this one. Though the big problem with this tileset is I don't think it's actually suited for wastelands at all, since it's a FOREST tileset. But I did what I could with it!).

With this dungeon almost done, that leaves: Hakurei Shrine Forest, The Void, and Heart of Pandora. 3 dungeons in total for the main story. So close...yet still so far because I don't know what tileset to use for final dungeon, The Void is going to be a tough one to map since I want it to be fully explorable (i.e. have to get to specific areas via other areas of the Void), and the Forest is...well, it's a forest. That one shouldn't take long at all.

Once all the mapping's done, I just have to set up treasures, events, and fix up monsters, and game is pretty much done right there! Outside of ending of course which is going to be a pain in the ass to do...
@xenomic: some of the shadows around the edges in the above look wrong, look along the top edges of some of the cliffs.

Here's a little gif showing that my combat system is starting to take shape, in case it's not obvious, the map is a placeholder:

(note the graphics used are not my own, the sprites are open source made with a sprite generator that's GPL licensed, see http://gaurav.munjal.us/, the tiles which I note I have not even tried to use correctly are from http://www.lorestrome.com/pixel_archive/forest.htm and copyright with a "you can use if you credit and don't make a profit" clause)
A step closer to finishing the beta monster recruitment processing!
In case player forget what name corresponds to a monster an image of the stored monster appears!
Some screenshots of my cyberpunk RPG that has been in development since the dawn of mankind.

More here:

It looks a lot better in motion, but I'm too lazy right now to make gifs.

Gif of my empath monster talk system. Demo available on rpg maker.net.
@Nerdboy: Nice effects but I think the wave in the text may be a bit too much, is there a way to reduce that effect? It may make the text really hard to read.

Getting close to Kickstarter/Greenlight, it'll happen probably today or such. In meantime, have at thee Gameplay trailer I whipped up.

@Tuomo_L Jessie looks an awful lot like Injection fairy lilly.