SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

Decided to scrap my side view cliff map after lots of trail and error and go with front view, but taking on board the stilts idea. Still looking for feedback as it looks a bit bland though!
author=LockeZ
Hmm, interesting solution for the portrait placement. The HP bar is a lot more readable too.

Do make sure you find a de-pixellated version of that flower graphic that's around the corners of the battle command window.

If at all possible, get rid of the giant black puddles under the heroes...

That's actually the original resolution of that flower. All I did was change the color.

I can remove the shadows, of course but wouldn't that make the characters seem like they're flying? (I'll make enemies have shadows too, naturally)
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Tuomo_L, you can open the flower up in an image editing program and apply an antialias filter in the time it took me to type this sentence. It'll blend in with your UI a lot better than the icon you have right now.

I don't have an opinion either way on the shadows so long as it's consistent one way or the other. One of the battlers in a shot on the last page didn't have a shadow in it.

Touching up a swamp zone with tints and flames. Here's one of the maps.
Done, I also increased the size of the bottom HUD panel to help keep it more consistent.

Also, while here, I may as well show the first boss.

ESBY
extreme disappointment
i remember clearly reading the writings of homer
wherein he describes the minotaur as "anime boob elf"
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Tuomo_L
I can remove the shadows, of course but wouldn't that make the characters seem like they're flying? (I'll make enemies have shadows too, naturally)
Those look absolutely nothing like shadows though. If they did then it'd be fine.
author=LockeZ
author=Tuomo_L
Those look absolutely nothing like shadows though. If they did then it'd be fine.

They are dynamic shadows in that if you'd jump they'd not jump with you and stuff like that, I did remove them though.
I added a turn order display to my game. Neat!!

So now there's the issue of style. I am considering putting a background or something on it. maybe have it appear on a card or other object. But I'm also considering instead making a fake window by hand and putting it in there. That's really hardcore though, like how would I pull off the semt-transparent texture inside the window? Or the color?

EDIT: Good enough I suppose?

p.s. yes, I actually changed the font to my game just now.

EDIT:
The window is animated now (slides in and out from offscreen) and has sound effects.
Hey, speaking of the Minotaur, I have an alternative option for her, if that isn't as good? This isn't technically a screenshot but I don't know where to post it.

@Zeello - how about a black gradient bar that's transparent?

Simple but effective.
whaaat... you inserted the black bar into my own screenshot. How did you even do that. :D

That DOES look good. I wasn't happy with the way mine looks.. before you posted I was considering using in-game tiles (such as for a carpet or a table) and writing text into them. As well as maybe changing what's written inside the message, because do I really need to show both arrows? It might be sufficient to just state who's going to attack first.

I really want to get this right. Until then I can't even work on my game because I keep thinking about this one thing.

edit:

when coupled with this: https://freesound.org/people/HonorHunter/sounds/271659/
SO GOOD
I just made a few layers, pulled out the text in your screenshot, put in a black bar on one layer and put the text back on another layer.

I do want to suggest getting some backgrounds that fit your window size, btw. Meant to mention that in my previous post. The black surrounds look really shoddy, sorry~ >.<;
Hello!

Looking at the bottom right, you'll find 7 icons to represent character "skills". I'd like to know which one you think is the best one or what I should add to make it the best one.

Thank you!
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
@zeello- I like what you did with the "X strikes next" really fits the theme
Okay, firstly, the map is pretty big and empty for the amount of houses and stuff on it. You're obviously struggling to fill in the space, hence why you're adding things like a beanstalk and wall-leaves and splotches of upper tiles.

- Make paths (dirt or otherwise) to the buildings.
- Add more houses, even if you can't enter them (using shift-mapping and/or path direction you can make it looks like the entrances of the buildings are on the other directions).
- Make the map area smaller - if it's supposed to be a tiny tiiiiiiny village then get rid of some of that room. That said, it's got a wall so it's probably big enough to warrant more than those four houses.
- Long grass. Use it more than one dot. Seriously. It looks dumb.
- Others might not recognise that some of those buildings are premade ones that you just dumped on the map. I do. Others will too. That's almost as bad as using unedited sample maps. Almost. Especially if this is a commercial game.

Check out this tutorial I did about towns:
Actually, more buildings get added when you get higher up in the tower. So, it looks empty now but more stuffs get added when you meet NPC's and progress high enough that changes happen.

I've paid money to be able to use those premade buildings, they didn't come as free but were part of the Essentials DLC. The Inn's not premade, the premade one has only one side but I wanted it to have on both sides so I edited the top part to it too.

I agree with you on the road, I was actually contemplating on doing that too.
author=Tuomo_L
I've paid money to be able to use those premade buildings, they didn't come as free but were part of the Essentials DLC. The Inn's not premade, the premade one has only one side but I wanted it to have on both sides so I edited the top part to it too.

I'm aware of the premade being part of a DLC, and thus costing something to have, but that doesn't mean they're not lazy or that people don't know they came like that. If you're making a commercial project you should stay away from premade buildings/map-based stuff that other games will be using because it takes away from the original identity of your own project.

You could probably put tree clumps around and have them removed when new buildings are added. As it stands, having a wall now, when the town is still so small, doesn't make much sense and they were added to built-up towns with lots of money coming in. It's telling a story with the map that doesn't add up according to other parts of the map, basically.
author=Liberty
author=Tuomo_L

I'm aware of the premade being part of a DLC, and thus costing something to have, but that doesn't mean they're not lazy or that people don't know they came like that. If you're making a commercial project you should stay away from premade buildings/map-based stuff that other games will be using because it takes away from the original identity of your own project.

You could probably put tree clumps around and have them removed when new buildings are added. As it stands, having a wall now, when the town is still so small, doesn't make much sense and they were added to built-up towns with lots of money coming in. It's telling a story with the map that doesn't add up according to other parts of the map, basically.

I kinda want to make use of the DLC, it has nothing to do with being lazy, my father bought it for me and I wanted to make use of it because of that, you know? Do you have any recommendations how to make use of it?

I did the changes you suggested and added small pond. The broken log at the down right of the map is bottom left corner of a tent that appears later.