SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

Example of Rise of the Third Power's shadows and lighting "effects" (which is just erasing a mask around lights).

For this to look right, I'm stuck using events for all the shadows. As you can imagine, I'd very much like to kill myself at the moment. I'm pretty pissed that it came out looking as nice as it does, because now I really ought to follow through.

R3P is going on 1000 maps at this point. Shadowing them all is going to be rough...

Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Who says you have to use light effects in EVERY map? I'm sure most of them look good enough without needing them.

That does look nice though.
Well, shadows are one thing and light effects are another. I want the interiors of every room (particularly large rooms) to be dark, but to get the brightness of the lights and panorama right, you really are stuck with darkening all the tiles and characters, and making all the light-sources bright by hand.

Shadows are the bad part, because they really have to be events, and I'm a stickler for visual consistency... I may be able to do it with pictures, but I wouldn't want every shadow to show above the hero.
Sorry for the double post. I see the RMN servers are a little slow today...
Frogge
Ohhh you meant the shadows to the sides, my bad, I thought you were talking about light effects and the shadows as in the darkness.

Yeah the shadows do look nice
Working on a mini dungeon. It's intended to be a vertical, sinkhole style cavern where you descend deeper by finding gears to fix a janky elevator.

The second pic is meant to be a layer below the first, which is why the structures are so similar.
Frogge
Looks awesome, ram!

I wanna start working on dungeons but I gotta plan them out on paper first and I'm too busy watching Orange is the New Black so I'm just waiting for school to start so I can plan out in class when I get bored ^^;

Meanwhile I've been working on interiors. You're supposed to be able to swim upwards in most houses and dungeons to reach higher spots, though I plan not to use it in the open sea since it's mostly unnecessary.

It took me 2 weeks, but I finally finished coding a shop system with limited item buyback for my RPG. The amount of code and logic that went into this was a lot more than I anticipated, especially when it came to stackable items.
I animated a boulder being crushed and I like it! ~_~

-context-
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
@Ramshaking That looks very cool! I like the way the water feels.

@narcodis That is some sweet boulder bashing action alright.
Frogge
Mysterious!
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games

slowly iterating
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I get the 0s show tile placement, but do they represent anything else? They don't look like they contain unit or terrain info.

If it's not custom, what engine is this built on? I've been interested in dabbling into tactics, but I've heard too many horror stories about GTBS to really take the time to learn it.
Frogge
Good feedback, Sat. I was afraid it was too slow indeed, I'll probably speed it up a tad. Also I can't tell if by ''amusing'' you mean you actually like how it remains constant or would like to see the character sprite get darker. That would be easy enough to add in.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
She really should get darker when she steps into the shadows. As for the speed, I think it'd "pop" pretty well if the fade took the same amount of time as moving one tile.