SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

I hope this looks better.

If not, I will have to draw my own tree.
I have an idea of how to draw it but it would literally be painted in Photoshop and rasterized.
In other words, painted big and resized to the needed size.
Either way, it won't totally match the houses and so forth.
The way I drew them was pretty basic.. simple outlines and then shading...
I dunno, I'm just running out of ideas..
Just focusing on my camera at the moment.
@Frogge:
Oh yeaaaahhhhhhssssss
More turtle shell jumping puzzles please
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
author=Kaempfer
@Frogge:
Oh yeaaaahhhhhhssssss
More turtle shell jumping puzzles please

The new sections I'm designing myself will have plenty more of each mechanic. The first room after that miniboss will be based on the bone gates and you'll come across tons of em'. And then there will be a room based on quicksand followed by jumping, concluding in a mashup of everything and the main boss room.

Here's a wip room that's about half done. It's quite big, about 50x60 but might increase.

I wasn't fond off having the empty space be black because it stood out to much, so now I have a scrolling sand parallax instead.
@Frogge: Looks great, I love the idea of the scrolling sand instead of blackness.
@Frogge: Lots of pillow shading, going for a Gameboy look? And contrast from the character and tiles doesn't look good, I'm sorry :( but over all it does look good! Just needs a few tweaks mainly in shading and contrast.
... they're rips from Mystic Quest. XDDD
@Frogge: Some of those tiles don't loop that well. Otherwise, it looks pretty nifty, buddy!

@MarkusT: Looks pretty good, but I'm not a fan of how some things seem to be a mix of digital and pixel art. I'd personally pick one style and stick with it for consistency.

@Rukiri: Making a LoZ fan game? It looks promising!

Here's my first animation!

Also, here are some dumb tiles I just made (not done yet).

I'm trying to go for a more painterly look.
Rukiri
@Frogge: Lots of pillow shading, going for a Gameboy look?
As noted, these are rips from Mystic Quest, which itself used a very basic art style which was much closer to NES-era graphics than SNES graphics (despite being released in 1992, come on, Square).
Liberty
Except the sprite, which is not something I recognize, and is of a noticeably higher quality than the tiles. It's definitely causing a bit of clashing.

@Frogge:
There're so many cool mechanics that barely saw any use in FFMQ. I'm looking forward to all the new stuff you come up with.

@Luuuuiiushshsiu:
Those tiles look great. I'm not so sure about the central lighting band (what's the light source supposed to be?) but the dithering is great.
@ Luiishu535: Actually no, I'm building up my battle system and starting with Zelda 1 was just a fund way to start, it'll evolve into A Link to The Past and 4 Swords, once I get to a point where I need projectiles, beams and stuff I'll eventually start using LOG gfx to prototype the final system.

The Project did start in MV but got to the point I was fighting MVs limitations (yea...an abs at least a complex one isnt worth attempting in MV, would also be cool to see a proper Rpg Maker also...) I was going to use Game Maker but I really liked Unities collision and detection system, also if I wanted heck there's pretty much a perfect RPG Maker Map Editor (it's based on Ace but allows for custom tiles and possibly layers, also most of it's features are based from RPG Maker) I bought it but using spores Super Tile Editor "has polygon collisions, so awesome for slopes/half tile collisions!"

author=Kaempfer
Rukiri
@Frogge: Lots of pillow shading, going for a Gameboy look?
As noted, these are rips from Mystic Quest, which itself used a very basic art style which was much closer to NES-era graphics than SNES graphics (despite being released in 1992, come on, Square).

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (NTSC) was literally built off of a game boy game—Final Fantasy Legend III. The same team worked on both. I think those were the only two that they made.
@Luii:
The tiles are superb! The animation is great too, specially for your first. I love the little bounce. I'd try to get a little bit more movement into the whole arms and not just the bottom parts. Maybeee less shrinking on the legs too.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
author=Momeka
@Frogge: Looks great, I love the idea of the scrolling sand instead of blackness.

Thank you! I thought the blackness looked bad and it was the only thing I could come up with.

author=Rukiri
@Frogge: Lots of pillow shading, going for a Gameboy look? And contrast from the character and tiles doesn't look good, I'm sorry :( but over all it does look good! Just needs a few tweaks mainly in shading and contrast.

Good idea, I'll definetly look into lowering the contrast a bit.

author=Liberty

author=Kaempfer
Except the sprite, which is not something I recognize, and is of a noticeably higher quality than the tiles. It's definitely causing a bit of clashing.

Indeed, the sprite is actually from Final Fantasy 4 Advance. I thought they looked fancier ^^ You guys are right about the contrast issue, however, and I will definetly get to fixing it.

author=Kaempfer
There're so many cool mechanics that barely saw any use in FFMQ. I'm looking forward to all the new stuff you come up with.

Thank you! I have yet to finish the game but it seems the dungeon design gets progressively better, but still, I would love to remake this game just to fix the amount of wasted potential with the bone dungeon.

author=Luiishu535
Some of those tiles don't loop that well. Otherwise, it looks pretty nifty, buddy!

I should look into making them loop a little better aswell, I suppose. They were directy ripped from mystic quest and the tiles don't loop very well in that either. But then again, one of the main purposes of my remaster is improving on the graphical aspect of it.

author=suzy_cheesedreams
They're far from "dumb" dude. Looks great.

Seconded. Those tiles are beautiful, Luu.
Apparently I hate myself because I decided to make a faceset for each map in the game. All so I can do this with the save files:

Frogge
I would love to remake this game just to fix the amount of wasted potential with the bone dungeon.

The dungeons definitely get better, but there's a lot of wasted potential in all of them owing to how incredibly short they are. A game with no random battles could have been a lot longer without it growing tired even for us lazy, stupid non-Japanese gamers.

Zachary_Braun
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (NTSC) was literally built off of a game boy game—Final Fantasy Legend III. The same team worked on both. I think those were the only two that they made.

Yeah! Hilariously, FFL3 was a gorgeous game by Game Boy standards (and a pretty solid entry, although not without its faults). Then they went on to make FFMQ, which was... less boundary pushing.
@Suzy: Thank you! I guess it's the resolution of the screenshot that makes it look like meh IMO.

@Kaempfer: Thank you! My main inspiration for the wall tile and its lightning comes from Clock Tower (the SNES game). Here's a pic for reference:

I haven't decided on a light source yet, but I'm thinking about adding candles/chandeliers to the wall.

@Rukiri: That sounds really cool! Best of luck with the project, mang!

@Momeka: Thank you! I literally know nothing about animation. xD Although, after looking at it again, I think it makes for a good "Hey, over here!" type of animation. xD Would it work better if I gave the arms an inward movement (moving closer to the body)? I can't move the arms more to the sides because I'm sadly out of grid space. Dx

I admire your attention to detail! If your project's going to have a more medium/biggish scope (30-75+ hours of gameplay), then I suggest you to just stick with general pictures of a level/area instead of having a picture for every map.

@Frogge: Thanks, buddy!
author=Frogge

Good ol' Mystic Quest and its delicious chocolate vase treasure chests.
Luiishu535
I haven't decided on a light source yet, but I'm thinking about adding candles/chandeliers to the wall.

I didn't mean the light source for the map, I meant the light source for the tiles. Like, if you look at that clock tower map (I can definitely see the resemblance in tones!) the light source on the back wall means it's bright in the middle and it gets darker as it heads toward the ceiling and especially so toward the corners. Even though it's hand-drawn image and not tiles, the same idea applies to tiles. Your tiles have a band of lighter shading along the middle and then they get darker both up and down. It looks fine here, but it can lead to wonkiness and readability problems as you draw different areas. Try moving the lightest shade up and down as an experiment (as if the light source were moving up and down) and see what you get. Through the magic of video games, the light source doesn't actually have to correspond to any actual lights; most SNES games just drew darkest at the bottom and then gradually lightened the tiles as they moved upward for readability between the floor and the wall.