SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

My issue is that, some things I make are easier for me to make in one way, than it is in another way.
I can't draw pixel art version of trees to save my life.
I can't draw grass to save my life.
I can draw some things pixel style, and some things I can draw painted style.
So my visuals end up being a mixed bag.
Sorry, I think it might always end up being a mixed bag..
@Kaempfer: I know what you mean! Thank you for the detailed explanation! I'll keep experimenting with the tiles and lightning to see what I can come up with.

@MarkusT: That's definitely a valid point and I hear you on that. It's definitely not THAT distracting to me. The main reason why I'm bringing it up is because this is a critique/feedback thread. Your game looks far from bad!

Here's a little thing I improvised last night.

I'm mostly just messing around with some different ideas, seeing what kind of patterns and textures I'm able to come up with. Lately, I've been getting more and more inspired by the pixel art of Romancing Saga 3.

The way this game handles colors is truly inspiring.

It's a bit hard for me to settle on a style since I'm so new to the whole pixel art (art in general) thing. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe that the style I want to go for is a bit similar to Professor Layton: London Life and Mother 3, with color choices similar to Romancing Saga 3.
@Markus: It looks alright now, just go with it. And keep making stuff and you'll improve along the way.

@Luii: Looks great! If I'm going to nitpick a bit the top guys clothes kinda blends into the wall a bit.

author=Luiishu535
@Momeka: Thank you! I literally know nothing about animation. xD Although, after looking at it again, I think it makes for a good "Hey, over here!" type of animation. xD Would it work better if I gave the arms an inward movement (moving closer to the body)? I can't move the arms more to the sides because I'm sadly out of grid space. Dx

Ideally I would move the arms outward, but if you're out of space you're out of space. But maybe move the shoulders a bit, since the arms moves backwards consider to slump the shoulders down a bit.

author=Luiishu535
I admire your attention to detail! If your project's going to have a more medium/biggish scope (30-75+ hours of gameplay), then I suggest you to just stick with general pictures of a level/area instead of having a picture for every map.

Thanks! The game will be pretty short, aiming for max an hours gameplay. So probably going to stick with one for every map. They are pretty quick to make.

Edit:
Almost done with the menus. Just got some stuff for the inventory left.

I took another wack at the tree situation.

I feel like i'm getting closer if i'm not already there.
I was just not happy.. still not totally happy with it.
These are ones I sorta made.
The trunk is not mine, but the leaves and so forth are.
Gives me an idea of where to go moving forward.
Good work on the new trees. They fit stylistically with the rest of the graphics a lot more than the previous trees.
@Momeka: Yeah, readability is one of the things that's been on my mind a lot lately. I'm not sure how I should tackle this ATM, but I've been thinking about using a tweaked palette for the sprites so that they stand out more against the tiles. Another potential solution might be to just lower the saturation of the palette that's used for the tiles.

Your menu has a nice and simple design. I like it.
@Luiishu, I really like the palette you've chosen for your graphics, and the sheen you've applied to the things like those columns and the details in the wall. Like a pearlescent sheen, and it looks really nice.
Hi, this is the storyboard animation intro I created in Adobe After Effects for a project called Soulwake. These are the ideas and vision for the storyline I want to develop. It is a Action Rpg that plays in the top down perspective with a strong emphasis on nightmarish medieval horror and hi tech alien machinery. Hope you like it and please comment!

https://youtu.be/o9O70SqLW_k

@suzy: Thank you! I love to add highlights here and there to give the visuals that extra oomph!

@SevensAce: Looks pretty dank, mate!
@luiishu535

Thanks, you have a very impressive art style. Especially the desert scene you created, awesome use of color that really catches the eye. I'll be sure to check your games out.

@Momeka
Nice menu system and graphics. I see that changing through the menus sets the menu window in a different location. Maybe setting an anchor point in the top right corner for them to expand would be easier on the eyes, just a option I wanted to bring up.
The screenshot in the spoiler tag is actually from Romancing Saga 3. xD I just included it to show where my latest inspirations come from.

I'm pretty sure that I'm able to create stuff in RS3's style, but it's not something that I'm going for entirely for my current project.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!
@SevensAce = I found the intro to be a little long. There's a lot of abstract images being shown and the text is flowing pretty slowly. I think if you found a way to cut 15-30 seconds off the runt time of it it might flow better.

I have been trying out a new tile set I got my hands on. Trying for a more retro style game perhaps.

Trying out battle system too
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Jesus christ tory, fix all those 1x1 pixels you madman (blurry background, make it 50% smaller and then make it 200% bigger, faces look blurred, font looks out of place, monster's shadow is blurry, the windowskin is very out of place etc...)

If you gonna use pixel graphics you gotta do it right.
SunflowerGames

author=Frogge
Jesus christ tory, fix all those 1x1 pixels you madman (blurry background, make it 50% smaller and then make it 200% bigger, faces look blurred, font looks out of place, monster's shadow is blurry, the windowskin is very out of place etc...)

It's not easy.
The resources here only include characters and Tile Sets.
So I gotta find battle backs, faces, etc that fit...
(Battle backs currently from FF 5 / FF 6 and faces from Shining Force.)

Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
author=kory_toombs
author=Frogge

It's not easy.
The resources here only include characters and Tile Sets.
So I gotta find battle backs, faces, etc that fit...

I'm not saying the battlebacks/faces don't fit, you just have to resize them to be 50% the size and then resize them back (200% the size in this case). That way you can be sure all the pixels are the same size.
SunflowerGames

I personally can't see that sort of stuff, but I tried to resize as you suggested.
I scaled the image in gimp by half the rescaled back. Is this better?

(The blurriness could be caused by the fact that the images were originally very small. I got them from Spriters Resource. Do you know of a better place to get images?)

Kory, I suggest putting together "maps" in gimp that will serve as battle backs. I am using these same graphics for my Legion Saga remake... and Asylum: Secret of Calderia is the game that used TF that also gave me the idea for the battlebacks. You can see a first impressions video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6SDEeefpZM
SunflowerGames

That idea might work to replace the battle backs. I will try mapping out some battle backs. The scaling won't be so drastic from 544x416 to 580x444.