SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
I do the same with battlebacks. I think your battleback is fine though. If you can somehow find a version that actually isn't blurred I think that would look better, but if the pixels are all 2x2 it should be fine.
a pixel is a clear, sharp square. if you multiply it by any uneven number, it will be broken, and that is why resizing low resolution assets such as pixel art must be done on whole numbers, such as scaling 2x.

If even scaling 2x is not enough, remember SNES final fantasy battlebacks ARE made up of tiles and you can easily open it up in an image editor and expand it.
Still, they do nothing with the time fantasy aesthetic, time fantasy fits with nothing but itself~ truly an unusual palette, it has
@Joeseraph:
Thank goodness you're here

From what I remember, doesn't Time Fantasy use some absolutely insane resolution? I've never seen the tiles themselves, just screenshots made with them, but it seems like the entire thing came scaled wrong from the factory.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I tried again using the Time Fantasy assets to create a battle back and use the sprites for faces. Changed window screen and font to Times New Roman.

Frogge
The font is better, but I still think a pixel font and a pixel windowskin would look better.

Kinda like this
SunflowerGames

I'm not sure if I like how that small g letter looks in that font though.
I spent a long time looking for window screens. You could be out there forever, in google doing that, trying to find the one you like the most.
Frogge
It doesn't have to be the exact same font, just something pixellated. There's tons of them. (8x8 fonts work best though since you'll have to make the size 16x16 to match with everything else)

In the case of the windowskin, you'll want to make it 50% smaller and then 200% bigger. That's like the case with, everything. Thing is, you'll want all your pixels to be the same size. This image might explain it a tad better.

As you can see the circles on the sprite are bigger. I circled a few example pixels. Keep in mind these are all just ''one'' pixel. In the case of the windowskin, the ''one pixel'' is 1x1 whereas on the sprite the ''one pixel'' is 2x2. Time Fantasy uses 2x2, hence you'll want everything to be 2x2.
Please tell me that the grass/background is a JPEG file, Frogge. Dx I'm definitely not a fan of how the Time Fantasy style uses different sizes in pixels. It looks clunky, less retro and just "meh" IMO. Otherwise, I think it's a pretty nifty set!

Your game looks very promising, Kory! With a few touch ups to the pixels, like the others have mentioned, and a more consistent art style, I'm sure it'll turn out most excellent.
Frogge
Yes, I think it's a JPEG, or Kory blurred it. It's why I circled part of it.
Hope it's a JPEG. By the way, there's a mapping error at the top right of your battle screen.
Frogge
Yeah, that's been fixed a while ago, just haven't updated the image.
SunflowerGames

author=Frogge
Yes, I think it's a JPEG, or Kory blurred it. It's why I circled part of it.

Might be caused by scaling the image.
I mapped the area and launched the game to full screen.
Took screen shot.
That only gives me 544x416 though.
I need to scale to 580x444.
(I guess I could up the screen resolution take take screen shots and cut the image to fit that dimension. 580 and 444 are unfortunately not divisible by 32.)

Edit: (I changed to 640x480 and just cut off instead of scaling. Is this better?)

That looks a lot better!

I recently made an attempt to tackle the infamous side-way stairs.

This is just a test map I made to try them out. I'll start making more stairs with different textures and colors later once I've got the basic shape and all that down.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Yeah, kory, that's better. The pixel blur you had before was definitely caused by scaling the image. More specifically, it was matter of setting the interpolation before changing the resolution. I deal with this all the time in my own game.

Before you work with that tileset for any reason, disable all interpolation and cut the resolution in half. This will let you easily make edits without worrying about pixel size. Once you've made your background, blow up the image to it's original resolution (again, disable all interpolation), and you'll see every pixel is expanded evenly.
avoid scaling by anything other than whole numbers (200%, 300%) and if the image is still somehow too short, just open it up in an image editor and super easily copy the tiles as if you were mapping on rpg maker.
This should make you never have any headaches with scaling anymore.

And I like Frogge's pixel font mockup, but I don't mind "resolution clash" as long as it's consistent i.e. the game elements are completely uniformly 2x scaled and the UI is uniformly HD.

Tactics Ogre on the PSP does it really well!
Love it @luiishu :)

Also Time Fantasy uses the default 16x16 rm2k3 resolution if I'm not mistaken, and is scaled and works properly. BUT it has a very unusual palette that is very hard to match with anything but itself.
Yeah @Luii it still looks great! Good work on the stairs, I always find them challenging to do.
SunflowerGames

"Don't worry I don't bite... I peck!"
Goes great with the laughing animation there.
Looks like it could be an interesting character.
Frogge
That laugh is so adorable