SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

On this page: Jo tries to help and it flies over heads(- s)

Edit: DAMMIT
It didn't fly over my head. Again, this issue is only on this website and it's also on game pages and such too. You have to right click image and press "view image" to see it as intended.

How does the characters select screen look with 4th character? I am still trying to find a good distance they should be from each other, so that they're not too close or too far.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
They spin around like a dial, I assume?

The distance seems okay, but I feel like there should be some kind of frame or border around the small circular portraits.

There's also definitely way more than enough room to write out full stat names there. And HP and MP should be capitalized.
author=LockeZ
They spin around like a dial, I assume?

The distance seems okay, but I feel like there should be some kind of frame or border around the small circular portraits.

There's also definitely way more than enough room to write out full stat names there. And HP and MP should be capitalized.

Yes, the pentagram is the cursor and it spins too. The pentagram moves to the character you want to select. I'll capitalize MP and HP, that's a good idea. I'm not sure what I should do with borders, though I agree they could use something else especially the vampire girl's pic.

I'm not honestly sure if there's enough space to write Spirit and Defense, it may be very tight fit and moving numbers more right could make them get too close to the blonde girl's portrait.

EDIT: I tried putting the whole stat names but it needed to move the numbers so much that it no longer looked good.
you should avoid using the Cardcaptor Sakura magic circle, as it's CLAMP's intellectual property hah
Also you should also probably try to edit the graphics that came within moghunter's plugin a bit so it looks like your game
and you also seem to have a strangely detrimental habit of neglecting things that are clearly bothersome to others for no reason at all, like forcing users to load a huge ass image on their desktops (or worst even, mobile phones) and making people see only 1/3rd of your screen at any given time for.... once again, pretty much no reason

really, it's opening up the editor and formatting your image so it fits where you're putting it. saves stress, people's bandwidth and your game looks prettier and people can actually see and evaluate it. (regardless of whether it's this site's fault or not)

also, this script looks a lot better when there's a good number of characters because it actually becomes a circle instead of a square of far apart faces

(hey look! moghunter's screenshot on his website isn't in 4K)

anyway I'm pretty sure you can make a neat party select system with events that looks a bit better than this one currently does for you (because of the party size thing and whatnot)

it's really not hard = ) but editing the plugin further might yield nice results too!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Oh yeah, I assumed there would be more characters in the real game. Obviously it looks idiotic with only 4 party members, but nobody would let you choose your party in a game with only 4 party members, that would be pointless. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt on that one that it'll look fine in-game.

Also you definitely have a shit-ton of room to add three extra fucking letters to your text. The entire top half of the screen above those numbers is unused even if you don't change the layout of anything else except the text. And it would be trivial to just reduce the size of the portrait, which is STUPIDLY MASSIVE, and I assume you only made that big because there was nothing else to put there.

But yeah if you're actually showing off your screenshots, it'd be fuckin' great if you could resize them to the size that fits on RMN. It doesn't matter a ton in this topic since you're just asking people to look for problems with them, but your game page has the same problem, and that's very serious as it makes your game look unprofessional to players.
author=JosephSeraph
you should avoid using the Cardcaptor Sakura magic circle, as it's CLAMP's intellectual property hah

That's not CardCaptor Sakura, it's by Yanfly. I'm fairly sure that's based off a real magical circle that's actually open source, I mean you can't exactly copyright old wiccan magical circles.

Like, I will change it if I must but does something like magical circle really even fall under IP's protection?? It's not exactly like Magic Circles are so easily distinguishable and recognizable like Batman symbols or such.

really, it's opening up the editor and formatting your image so it fits where you're putting it. saves stress, people's bandwidth and your game looks prettier and people can actually see and evaluate it. (regardless of whether it's this site's fault or not)

Yeah, but if I share it on RPG Maker Web, Facebook, IndieDB, My website, Steam or any other platform the autofit works properly. The problem is on RPG Maker net site only.

author=LockeZ
Oh yeah, I assumed there would be more characters in the real game. Obviously it looks idiotic with only 4 party members, but nobody would let you choose your party in a game with only 4 party members, that would be pointless. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt on that one that it'll look fine in-game.

You're not actually choosing party, you're choosing who to play as. You only select one character and then each character gets their own storyline and own unique followers for each. The game changes based on the character you select hence they are rated by difficulty not by their names at bottom such as beginner, average, advanced and very advanced in that how hard their gimmicks are and how involved the process of learning their tricks and trades are.

That's kinda the problem of making assumptions that I am making players select whole party, because like you said Locke, it'd be really reduntant to select party of 4 from 4 choices. At the moment, there's 3 playable characters but this is the 4th character I'm currently working on, the vampire will be completely different from the rest of the girls.
@Tuomo_L

I don't know what the biggest size you can use for RMN is, but 640w fits nicely.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I try to scale all my images down in Gimp if they are too big for RMN.
I usually go for 544 because that's Ace's default size (even if I make something in a different engine.)
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=Tuomo_L
author=JosephSeraph
That's not CardCaptor Sakura, it's by Yanfly. I'm fairly sure that's based off a real magical circle that's actually open source, I mean you can't exactly copyright old wiccan magical circles.

Like, I will change it if I must but does something like magical circle really even fall under IP's protection?? It's not exactly like Magic Circles are so easily distinguishable and recognizable like Batman symbols or such.

That magic circle is most certainly not made by Yanfly. Maybe he just used it as a placeholder?

Anyway, a quick Google search tells me that the magic circle in question does, in fact, appear in Cardcaptor Sakura. However, the circle is based on the Astrology wisdom of Hermetic Qabalah, which seems to me that the imagery can be used in copyright material.

I didn't find any images of that exact magic circle in Hermeticism imagery, which makes me think the creators of Cardcaptor Sakura designed it on their own, drawing inspiration from Hermetic Qabalah. Since I've seen elements of Hermeticism used in different media, I think it's okay to use the imagery from Hermeticism, but not that particular circle.

Tuomo_L, I highly suggest you research more into Hermeticism to see for yourself if the magic circle is okay to use or not. My money's on no. If you have any doubts, just swipe a magic circle image from MV's animations and use that.

Yeah, but if I share it on RPG Maker Web, Facebook, IndieDB, My website, Steam or any other platform the autofit works properly. The problem is on RPG Maker net site only.

Yeah, we get it. You've said this numerous times now. The lack of autosizing isn't the issue people are pointing out. I'll echo LockeZ in that the resolution is fine in this topic since you're just trying to get feedback, and opening up the image in a new tab isn't that big of a deal.

On your gamepage, however, such a massive resolution is very sloppy. Yeah, autosizing isn't a thing yet, so you'll need to meet the site halfway if you want to look professional on it. Seeing as how you're trying to sell this game, I think looking professional is something you want to do.

Tuomo_L, this is a 640 x 480 screenshot. It's a nice resolution that'll fit the forums nicely. It'll also look way better for screenshots on your gamepage.

Incidentally, how does my screen look to everyone?

figuring out the battle screen
author=Red_Nova
Anyway, a quick Google search tells me that the magic circle in question does, in fact, appear in Cardcaptor Sakura. However, the circle is based on the Astrology wisdom of Hermetic Qabalah, which seems to me that the imagery can be used in copyright material.

I'm a huge Cardcaptor Sakura nerd so I immediately spotted it lol, CLAMP creates all of their designs in-house and you'll see lots of magic circles and stuff they created on CCS, Tokyo Babylon et cetera : )

also that look real neat Nova! Love the vibe you're going for! My only gripe is that those clouds look kind of too colorful, maybe if you did some palette indexing before exporting them to RM they'd look more pixely!

example: (before/after)

on photoshop it's Image > Mode > Indexed Color... > play around with settings : )
You can do it on GraphicsGale and Irfanview too (Irfanview for this is better, for everything else it's worse imo) both are freeware!
Photoshop's color indexing is by far the best though.

Also nice work @Farfin, totally my cup of tea~
Joey S taking off the gloves

@Momeka:
Your animations are always so spicy

@Red_Nova:
edit: I didn't say this but I like it!
Right now, I have three critiques:
1) Everything looks a little bit detached. Like, it's pretty obvious those flowers are on the upper tile layer, same with that small rock. I think if you made the borders on the bottom of those tiles less bold they'd look a little less floaty. Those big rocks are pretty bad about that, but I lack the knowledge to advise.
2) The walls (tree walls?) look very 90-degree-angled. The water autotile has a much more natural curve to it; try to emulate that on the walls. Right now they look particular square and unnnatural.
3) That overlay is TOO POWERFUL.

Otherwise, I think the shot conveys a good atmosphere, if that atmosphere was spooky puzzle swamp.

p.s. those three boulders on the right form a line which is no good unless it's intentional

@Farfin:
I like that a very much a lot. I feel bad for mummy's friend, though.

Here's a new screenshot from me. I hope it is the right size for this web site
author=Kaempfer

enhance!!
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
author=Kaempfer

Beautiful
Do GIFs work here? Never tried it.

I'm not the best artist but rolling around at the speed of sound is pretty fun.

Made it so you have some false gravity on ramps. You go slow uphill and fast down. There's also a tiny bit of shrink/stretch when landing.

Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Looks rad. Is it for IGMC?
author=Frogge
Looks rad. Is it for IGMC?

Thanks! And nah, been working on this for a few months. A standalone game where you're a sort of magic blacksmith who sells swords to aliens on their pilgrimage.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=JosephSeraph
Palette indexing

Jo, I could hug you right now. I had no idea such a thing existed, and it's exactly what I need to make the fog consistent in style with the rest of the pixels. Lucky for me GIMP has palette indexing, too, so I'll try it out on that first before learning GraphicsGale.

Here's my attempt. If it looks good, I'll apply these settings to the other fog graphics:

author=Kaempfer
@Red_Nova:
edit: I didn't say this but I like it!
Right now, I have three critiques:
1) Everything looks a little bit detached. Like, it's pretty obvious those flowers are on the upper tile layer, same with that small rock. I think if you made the borders on the bottom of those tiles less bold they'd look a little less floaty. Those big rocks are pretty bad about that, but I lack the knowledge to advise.
2) The walls (tree walls?) look very 90-degree-angled. The water autotile has a much more natural curve to it; try to emulate that on the walls. Right now they look particular square and unnnatural.

I put a little work on these suggestions. I was so excited at learning about palette indexing that I've been messing around with that instead of much else.

The boulders are going to need some work, though, so I couldn't get to that for this screen. I'm using the same boulder sprite as one that players can interact with, so it's supposed to stick out. In hindsight, that was a bad idea.

3) That overlay is TOO POWERFUL.

Which part of the overlay, specifically? The fog? The visibility limiter? Both? Fog is a major theme for the game's world, so it's intended to be at least a little intrusive in order to contrast strongly with maps without fog.

Anyway, here's the new screen taking in as many suggestions as I could right now.