SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Some igmc stuffs. In spoiler tags because judges shouldn't see and all.

The cliff edge at the top right part of the first map looks a bit weird, but otherwise, things are looking pretty lit!
@Merlandese:
I've never been a big fan of the stick-figure pixel style (personal pref, is all), but there's no denying that's one sexy gif. Those little details are magic, and the premise sounds really cool.

@Red_Nova:
I think my problem with the overlay is at least majorly fixed by it being reduced to a more pixellated look. I still think it's a bit oppressive (might be the visibility limiter). Like, I get the theme, but I think maybe reducing it 10& might be good? Maybe not, I'm not a wizard, I don't know the future.

Those square edges are next, right?

@Frogge:
I've never seen those tiles before, but they're really nice. The cliff map is really good; I like how the player's movement is guided without it looking unnatural. Except for those cliff stairs (natural) ending on flagstone (man-made). That looks a bit wonky to me.

The second screen is good, but I think the area is way too large. It's a castle, sure, but if you squished everything together it'd have a really cute, cluttered feel to it. Right now it still looks empty despite how much stuff is lying around.

Here are two screenshots from the same area in my game:

They still feel very empty to me, but I don't want to overdetail it to keep with my general style. Suggestions?
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=Kaempfer
@Red_Nova:
I think my problem with the overlay is at least majorly fixed by it being reduced to a more pixellated look. I still think it's a bit oppressive (might be the visibility limiter). Like, I get the theme, but I think maybe reducing it 10& might be good? Maybe not, I'm not a wizard, I don't know the future.

Those square edges are next, right?

I'll play around with it for a little bit and see what comes up.

And yeah, I'll try to soften those edges a bit.
Frogge
author=Luiishu535
The cliff edge at the top right part of the first map looks a bit weird, but otherwise, things are looking pretty lit!

It's the tiles. I reckon I should probably make an edit, but it has to wait for now considering I have a shit ton of other work to do on it.

author=Kaempfer
@Frogge:
I've never seen those tiles before, but they're really nice. The cliff map is really good; I like how the player's movement is guided without it looking unnatural. Except for those cliff stairs (natural) ending on flagstone (man-made). That looks a bit wonky to me.

The second screen is good, but I think the area is way too large. It's a castle, sure, but if you squished everything together it'd have a really cute, cluttered feel to it. Right now it still looks empty despite how much stuff is lying around.

Thank you! You're right about the stair thing, I'll definetly add some grass under it instead. I can't say I agree with the second statement, however - I'm leaving some space empty so that the player can run around without running into every single enemy. It's the three tile rule, not the one tile rule :P
@Kaempfer: Why don't you put a bench or two into your settlement? People like to rest, it gives you some good positions for NPCs and it could make everything seem much more lively. A small pond could add a nice calm atmosphere, too.

When you don't have anything consistant to show yet but feel the desperate need to show off the few tiles and the still detail lacking character sprite that you have worked so hard on.

This is nothing but a bunch of tiles that I have worked on thrown together to test out the character sprite in relation to the trees and other objects. Objects will get shadows in the future, as will the character. Since I will work with parallaxing a ton of detail will only be added once said parallaxing comes into play, so of course right now there are no lighting effects nor any eye catching areas; this isn't even a map, after all, just a bunch of things that I made thrown onto a background so I can gain some insight from you guys.

What about the muted colour scheme, is that okay? Does the sprite clash with the tiles, or does it look like it goes together well? Are the trees fine, size-wise? Aside from his noodly legs and undetailed robe, does good ol' Merikh look like a character you could stare at for a long time? (That's a skull mask btw, not a mustache.)
it's a neat direction having a muted palette, but I miss some sort of color cast or actual deliberate color choices, here
realistically, there's very little that can make ALL colors muted -- when one color is muted it generally means the opposite colour will be more pronounced, such as red looking like off-grey under blue light (while blue things will look glaringly, eye-poppingly blue)

i'd advise reading up a bit on color theory and trying to build a deliberate palette out of the things in your scenery -- with games this is a bit trickier since it isn't a static image, but you cna always find a nice way to use colours for narrative advantage

also, the tiling of the grass is bugged out, but i really like the trees!

some very simple ideas, with a warmer colour cast to the left (like sunset, red light) and a colder color cast to the right. think of colour casts as the color that "binds" the scene together!

Updated Tengu Village, compared to the original which was a travesty. I don't have a screenshot of the original, but if you know how my ancient maps were, then you'll know it wasn't very good. Map updated courtesy of LockeZ. I'll...have to make sure this is put into the most recent version, things MAY still be a bit wonky here and there with teleports and the like.

BONUS EDIT - Also, a reminder to people that when you change tilesets, remember to always ALWAYS make sure that maps that uses them use the right one...

Back to working on this cutscene

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
There's something beautiful and poetic about saying "LockeZ made this town for me" and posting a glitchy tilebarf screenshot where the rooftops have been replaced with REEEEEEEEEEEE
@Cloud man:
There is a pond hidden just off screen to the bottom left, I'll see if I can get some outdoor seating to work!
Like JS said, your grass tile is looking pretty rough right now, but otherwise lookin' good.

@Xenomic:
normies get out of that town

@Momeka:
I can never think of anything helpful to say because all your stuff looks so dang good!

Messing with the picture features from the new cherry patch, most notably the tint isolating.
@Momeka & Darken: Gouda! Keep up the good work!

I am remaking Chrono Trigger in RPG Maker 9000.
Updated my intro and ready to start spriting again!

@Darken, that looks really neat. I like everything that's suggested by that clip.

@Luiishu, I remember you doubting your pixel art ability during the monster drawing event just last year (I think it was last year...?) & your designs were cool then. But I mean, these tiles are lovely. You have a good eye for colour; that palette is unusual and it works well.
@Darken: Looks really cool. I love the animation for when you plug in.

@Luii: That looks so good! Keep it up
author=Darken

I'm loving everything about the color design in this. Nice work.
Frogge
author=Blindmind
author=Darken
I'm loving everything about the color design in this. Nice work.

I'm loving everything about the everything in this. Really fucking gorgeous work.
@Suzy: Thank you! I'm trying to not be too generic when I use colors.

Yeah, the event ran sometime near the end of 2016. I'm still having lots of doubts about the whole pixel art thing, but at least I've gotten a bit better compared to when I started.

@Momeka: Thank you! I will.

Playing around with a field of vision thing. Ignore the ghost image thing, it didn't turn out as good as I thought it would.

Edit:
Made it real time and extended the players sight radius