SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

I've laid some groundwork for a remake of the overtly ambitious but deeply flawed 1995 SFC gem Granhistoria, and piece by piece it's coming together - I'm pushing myself to see how much I can accomplish with this project. For the moment it's chugging along well, even if still in very early stages, and I'll put up a gamepage later. (Sorry for the big images!)

The game centers around religious conflict between two gods Zad and Geo.

modern algebra's fantastic quest log script worked well in recreating the Chronicle, through which you can see what's happening in the world all up to year 825 - at which point the end of the world happens, unless you've been able to prevent it by then...

@Sevens:
Your screens are looking pretty good! I know you're going for a single-colour grass tile, but in that house screen it's a little too much of empty, single-colour field for its own good. I'm not saying add another set of trees or anything, but something needs to break up that solid a little bit. There's also a bit of wonkiness going on with the thickness of your black highlights. Try to stay more consistent with that! Like... the house bricks and the pillars have either super-thin outlines or no outlines, but the trees and plants have thick black outlines.

@orange:
I am too spooked, help

@Pancake:
Oh dang, those are nice. Everything would look right at home in the original game, very well done. Some of those sprites have different coloured outlines, though, which is weird. Are you making in Ace?
@Kaempfer
Yea that grass tile, I have experimented with adding to it. I was surprised how much even a little editing can change the feel to every screen. I agree that it looks really plain at times. As for the bricks, I attempted a lighter outline but its totally invisible in the nighttime scene. I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the advice!

@Pancake
Nice screens and good dialogue. I have never heard of that classic somehow but it reminds me alot of a title called Illusion of Gaia.

Level 1 Mid Boss, pretty simple design

Level 2 - The Glass Tower of Thantasia
@Kaempfer, SevensAce
Thanks! The game's sorta mix between Chrono Trigger/Game of Thrones, and it had a troubled production which led to cut story content etc. This remake will be focused to expand its dungeons, add story scenes and flesh out underused characters first and foremost. As those screens above are from the beginning sections - before the problems in development had started to affect its quality - the graphics are pretty much straight rips - I just wanted to show a quick overview of the game's nice aesthetic style.

Made in Ace, yeah. I didn't even notice, but one sprite palette does happen to have fainter outlines for some reason, you've sharp eyes to catch that haha.
author=Blindmind
More progress on the cave/forest hybrid dungeon.

Awesome concept and execution, but you might wanna tone down the light effects a little bit. Also the light source at the top of the image (daylight from outside?) clashes pretty hard with the torches. Maybe remove the two torches on top? Or remove the light they give off.
Reworking an old tileset, it looked a bit too similar to the other areas. So trying to give it a bit more of it's own identity.

author=Cazic
author=Blindmind
More progress on the cave/forest hybrid dungeon.

Awesome concept and execution, but you might wanna tone down the light effects a little bit. Also the light source at the top of the image (daylight from outside?) clashes pretty hard with the torches. Maybe remove the two torches on top? Or remove the light they give off.
Thanks for the comments!

Not all of those tiles are rips from the same source, so I heightened the lighting effects, just so the dungeon would feel more "coherent" in its atmosphere. I can see why you think they may be a bit excessive, though.

Edit: Eh, here's another screen for the hell of it. XD This is the exterior part of that same dungeon.

@Pancake Nice screenshots. Can't say I'm a fan of your name, though.
Looks interesting, Pancake. I want to play it...

Nice lanterns, SevensAce

Momeka, nice stuff as usual

Pretty screens, Blindmind
Looking good, Blindmind! My only gripe is that it's a bit hard to tell where you can walk and where you can't - the top of the trees barely look different than the tree "walls". The tree stumps look much better in the interior part of the dungeon (which overall looks great), whereas in the exterior shot you posted it's sort of a mess. It's hard to tell what's a wall/tree-trunk and what's walkable ground. I hope that I properly articulated what I'm thinking.

Arcmagik - Looks great! I'd suggest putting a fountain or something in the very middle of the courtyard. It's a tad empty there at the moment.

Here's the bottom floor of a dungeon that I just finished today:

@Blindmind:
Very pretty, but as dethmetal pointed out it's hard to tell where you can actually walk. I'd go so far as to say it's downright impossible, glancing at that screenshot. I'm sure it's easier in game, though.

@dethmetal:
As noted elsewhere, I like that a lot. I've noticed a lot of your screens are bridges over magical looking water, is there a thematic/narrative reason for that, or do you just like bridges a lot (also fine!)?
Both. I tend to use bridges in all of my dungeons whether it be a mountain, forest, cavern, or whatever else, and I like to include some sort of water in my dungeons (I find pure caves to be a bit boring).

Not as many dungeons of mine fit this theme as it probably seems, though. I think I'm just more likely to take screenshots of these ones because look nice. I tried to vary my dungeons and make them all feel distinct and take place in different types of settings.

Thank you!
Arcmagik, nice. If the castle walls or roof were a slightly different tone, the contrast could increase visual interest.

dethmetal, I like it.
Sorry it's kind of a large image (developing in 1024x576 for widescreen deployment), but here's my latest...

Just missing NPCs now.
@Blindmind, that latest image reminds me of the country road between Dali & Treno in FFIX. Really pretty.

@PineBox cool style. The concrete pillar looks a little out of whack though. The pillar looks like it should be slanted slightly to the back/right
author=suzy_cheesedreams
The pillar looks like it should be slanted slightly to the back/right

Does, doesn't it? Geometrically speaking, it's spot on, but the perspective of the room makes it look wrong. I'll have a play with it. Thanks!
@dethmetal Thanks for the suggestion!

@Caladium I can probably do that!
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
@PineBox: How much research did you have to do to go into detail of that screenshot? Your custom art is so well done in a realistic sense. Is it a process of finding a image of a terminal airport and then making the scene?

(p.s I nominated the screenshot for Pic of the Moment before you posted it here :) )