SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

author=Sidewinder
author=grindalf
@sidewinder AWESOME Please tell me it plays like WingCommander
Well... kinda. But mostly no.

You'll be able to fly around space, get into fights and trade commodities but the actual piloting will just be pre-rendered cinematics, selected via a menu. As much as I'd love to make Wing Commander: Privateer in RPGmaker 2003, it's just way beyond my skill level.

Here's a video of it in action, if you're curious.

Well even with it being cinematics its pretty awesome. I would love to see how you are handling battles(I didn't see that in the video)
Ive always wanted to make a Wing commander style game. Maybe we should team up one day
author=Sidewinder
Here's a video of it in action, if you're curious.

That's awesome! I like everything about this video. If I were you I would change the default font to what you used for the computer displays.

Summary: 10/10, would play. (Don't even think about cancelling this!)
author=Bluefeathr42
THAT'S Rm2k3? Holy Schnikes!

Well, JosephSeraph gets most of the credit for it looking so nice, really.

Back in the Theme Roulette event, I made a game similar to this (my current project is a sort of loose remake/spiritual successor to it) but used .AVI files to handle the cutscenes instead. It technically worked, but had a lot of problems (colours were inconsistent, and the .AVIs played hell with recording software).

Then JosephSeraph told me that I could have just used the SpriteSheet feature to show the cutscenes instead, and I felt very silly.

author=grindalf
Well even with it being cinematics its pretty awesome. I would love to see how you are handling battles(I didn't see that in the video)

Battles aren't implemented yet and probably won't be for at least a month or two.

I can't really do dog fighting, so combat will probably be handled on an interface similar to the interception screen in the original X-Com. I'm thinking it'd revolve around managing your power reserves.

author=grindalf
Ive always wanted to make a Wing commander style game. Maybe we should team up one day

Nah, sorry. I usually prefer to work solo. Knowing other people are waiting on me stresses me out too much, and I'm still a complete novice when it comes to Blender. I wouldn't know the first thing about optimizing assets for game engines, and the less said about my UV mapping, the better.

author=Tw0Face
That's awesome! I like everything about this video. If I were you I would change the default font to what you used for the computer displays.

Summary: 10/10, would play. (Don't even think about cancelling this!)

From what I can tell, if I wanted to change the font, I'd need to somehow edit a .DLL file, then use a third party tool to mess around with something?

Anyway, even if I do wind up losing passion for this project, odds are I'll finish it regardless. It's been a good excuse to actually learn Blender, which was something I kept promising myself I'd do for years.

author=Darken
Looks sick!!! It felt like I never left the Starcraft menu interface and went on an adventure instead. Though I wouldn't mind if the ship animations were a little slower and had some sfx to go along with them. My fav part is the rain scene. Also love the paramount logo on the vhs tape.

Uh, when you say slower, do you mean they should be paced slower, as in the animation should be longer? Or do you mean I should run it at a slower frame rate? Doing both would be easy enough, but my big worry is that while it might be more visually interesting the first time around, watching the ship dock could start to get tedious later in the game, after you've already seen it a dozen times.

Sound effects are something I'll try to implement at some point, but I've never actually tried that before, so I'm not sure if I actually can pull it off or not.

author=Darken

my imgc entry is chugging along. the lighting effects are a little primitive for my tastes but its super easy to setup. I really need to learn more about drawing to surfaces and shaders. OTL (and yes I know of the ceiling tile error)

Primitive or not, I really like the contrast between the dull grey and the bright yellow.

That TV also looks pretty slick, too.
author=Sidewinder
From what I can tell, if I wanted to change the font, I'd need to somehow edit a .DLL file, then use a third party tool to mess around with something?

Yeah, it's pretty much what you said. I just found a tutorial here.
That seems a lot more doable than I thought it would be. I'll try and swap out the font either tomorrow on Sunday.
Sidewinder
Uh, when you say slower, do you mean they should be paced slower, as in the animation should be longer? Or do you mean I should run it at a slower frame rate? Doing both would be easy enough, but my big worry is that while it might be more visually interesting the first time around, watching the ship dock could start to get tedious later in the game, after you've already seen it a dozen times.

It would be great to have it mandatory on first-run and skippable by pressing a button afterwards.

@Darken:

Is that pixel movement? Looks sick. Veery nice.
author=Sidewinder
Nah, sorry. I usually prefer to work solo. Knowing other people are waiting on me stresses me out too much, and I'm still a complete novice when it comes to Blender. I wouldn't know the first thing about optimizing assets for game engines, and the less said about my UV mapping, the better.

I get that. Ive worked on a few teams myself and the extra pressure is not always nice.
My current project will probably keep me busy for at least another year anyway
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Darken is working on Nemoral 2 another horror game? Neat.

Added Forests and quite a whole host of other things(not posted here for a long time)
Testing out my first commissioned pixel portrait! How's it looking in-game?

I was worried it might clash with the background tiles, but I was pleasantly surprised that they meshed fairly well.

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
nah, that pops really well because of the slight style difference. also looks waaaay better than those shiny public assets... actually looks like john now!
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
That looks amazing, blind. Totally agree that I think it blends and fits well.
@grindalf

That looks pretty cool. Lots of nice variation in the trees. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work that goes into making a procedurally generated game like that.
Making a small game for a "one map game" event thing.

I spent way too much time getting those mushroom to sort against the player.
Frogge
Completely worth it
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=Momeka
Making a small game for a "one map game" event thing.

I spent way too much time getting those mushroom to sort against the player.
Sweet jesus, that's smooooth
Agreed, smooth as silk overall. Visuals are really on point too :)
Bought myself the Nostalgia Pack, in an effort to get back into game making. Still in the early days of figuring what all the tiles do. But smooth like butter, 14/10, would pet.

Plus NES fonts and my 'custom' menus look pretty sweet with it.
Frogge
Clearly the king of game design doesn't know that your font should be x3 size, not x2, since you're using mv

Also I would honestly remove those autoshadows. Autoshadows are bad. Otherwise a neat map.