SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

Would love to see some other people's attempts. I tried googling RPG Maker RTP castle, but it seems Rm2k3 isn't so popular these days...
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Actually, it's kinda realistically sized, but that doesn't look good in games and especially in rm. You need to min-max. Minimize the size of the castle, maximize impact every tile has on the player. Make characters stand out in its space, they would end up lost here.
Also, it's very rectangular. Here's an example from Ara Fell, which has some stunning mapping. See the size of individual spaces.
Sometimes we call it the rule of three tiles. It means that you shouldn't have more than three same tiles in a row. You need to break it up. Ofc, having more same tiles next to each other is sometimes ok as a map with too many details would look busy.

Edit: Some examples of rtp castles: Corf's, Kentona's and my use of tiles (it's not really a castle, tho)
How did I forget about Badluck's mapping... but that is refmap for you.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Yeah, I added some rtp examples. Here are some more:
Deckiller
Sidewinder (no castles, but his use of rtp is very impressive)
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Rob, you could probably cut down the size of that to like 10% and it would look better. There's so much empty space. Always make sure to start small when mapping and then make it bigger only if you don't have enough space.
Damn, those look awesome. I thought I was pretty decent at this, but I could learn a thing or two from these guys. Thanks for those examples.
author=JosephSeraph
I'm always impressed by momeka pushing 2k3 so hard, looking forward to this
as for the balance, i'd just say for you to drag its right foot a little more to the left and it'll be good to go

edit: though even if you leave it as is, it feels like it's a photo taken mid-step so it doesn't really feel off

Thanks, Seraph! I tweaked it's leg a bit, I think it turned out better!

author=Cap_H
Yeah, I added some rtp examples. Here are some more:
Deckiller
Sidewinder (no castles, but his use of rtp is very impressive)

As I said... Deckiller using RTP. HA!

And the Sidewinder link leads to Dirge of Doningoth.
Frogge
author=Arcmagik
And the Sidewinter link leads to Dirge of Doningoth.

I believe that was the point.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Oh god, I've improved so much since Denadel :sweat_smile: What was I smoking when I made that.
author=Deckiller
Oh god, I've improved so much since Denadel :sweat_smile: What was I smoking when I made that.

I only hate you for your long years of practiced and sharpened skills a little bit right now.
author=Deckiller

Looks pretty decent to me.

(Hope one day I can be at the level where I've made maps like that and shit on them compared to my current level)
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
"Long years" is probably an overstatement :P I was basically awol for like long periods of time. But I've spent way too much time on things like blocky VXA stuff XD
Something strange happened in 2019. I actually did some work.

@Ramshackin

That looks great. I really like the little bits of machinery here and there.
Frogge
Ramshackin is getting extremely creative with the rtp again i see

My only miner (hehe) complaint is that some of the bridge supports have water at the bottom.
OldPat
OrudoPatto, kisama!
Two random screens from me games:

The first screenshot is from a complete game of mine, PSYCHE Locke, while the second one is from a game I'm currently making, Karma Flow 2 - Steel Skin.

I would like to start being more active in these kind of topics, as a way to push myself to develop more stuff!
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Wow, I haven't posted a screenshot here since summer 2016. And I haven't made anything worth posting in a while either.
That's a shame, this thread used to be quite motivational for me.