SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Fairly sure you couldn't have transcluent flames if you did that sadly, but I also think it would be the best solution since logically the character should cover the fire when going upwards.

Edit: Actually, what you're trying to do should be possible, you just have to do it with pictures instead.
author=JustRob
Or if that doesn't work, you could try combining the character sprite and the fire sprite together in a charset. Then you could simply change the hero graphic to the fire thing whenever you need.

The fire is animated so a combined charset doesn't work when the player is not moving. (Or I would have to do a weird switcharoo, which I'm not even sure would work smoothly).

author=Frogge
Fairly sure you couldn't have transcluent flames if you did that sadly, but I also think it would be the best solution since logically the character should cover the fire when going upwards.

Edit: Actually, what you're trying to do should be possible, you just have to do it with pictures instead.

Nope, no translucent fire that way. Pictures are an option, but I'm found them hard to work with; if you take a close look, you see the torch light is an image. Originally I had it with a ripple effect, but the Move Picture command is unreliable and I have not found a way to consistently have the picture move and be centered properly.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
You don't have to move the picture. It can actually be done really easily.

1) Make two variables. Call one of them "Player X" and the other "Player Y". For the Player X variable, click the bullet point that says "events," set the first dropdown box to "player" and the second to "screen X". Do the same for the "Player Y" variable except set "screen X" to "screen Y" instead.

2) Make a conditional branch that checks if the player is facing up. Turn on "set handling when conditions do not apply". Under "else", make another conditional branch under that that checks if the player is facing right. Make sure you do check "set handling when conditions do not apply" for this one too.

3) Under the "else" branch for the conditional branch that checks if the player is facing right, add in a show picture command. Your picture should be the flame. Under "Display position" on the left, click the bullet point that says "variable" instead of "constant." Set X to the "Player X" variable and Y to the "Player Y" variable.

4) Do the same for the branch that checks if the player is facing right or up, except under "Display settings," set the dropdown menu to 2 so that the picture appears below the player if they are facing up or right.

In the end, you should have a parallel process that looks like this:

You could probably also animate it in the show picture command under "spritesheet" but I'll leave that to you.

That's how I'm doing something else. But I keep forgetting that the official 2k3 now has spritesheet animation. I'll try it like that.

Screenshot from Herba. Not sure about the lighting. I'm not going crazy with light effects and stuff but it's a big cave so I kinda want it to be a little darker in some areas than others, but there's also the whole "I mapped this fucking cave pretty yo, admire my efforts" aspect so I'm not gonna be a doofus and black out all the edges like some people do.
Could I get the general opinion on which way I should put in the kitchens in my game. There seems to be a general rule about the way you should put them in but I don't know what that is.

The image on the left appears to have it built in to the wall, while the one on the right has it on the floor, just in front of the wall (but it looks like there's a sizable gap between the stove and the bench, etc)

I want to know now, rather than having put one in each house in the game, and then get told it looks awkward and I should redo all of them.
Thanks. I'll do them all this way.
The left one has them floating off the floor and on the wall. Keep in mind the width of the items in question - since you can see the top of them you can see that they have width, and thus they need at least that much room on the floor tile itself to be properly mapped.
I actually made this video awhile back, but I figured I'd show it off here, in case anyone's interested.

I'm open to feedback, but, for now everything is probably going to stay as is, until I get better with Blender.

(Link in case the video embed didn't work)

author=Liberty
That actually looks really nice. I've never been able to do mono-colour dungeons properly myself, but you pulled it off perfectly,.
@Sidewinder: That's really impressive, did you custom make all the models/scenes/videos? didn't expect anyone to do anything like that with 2k(3).

@Topic:
Edit:New version
old version
Not cutting any corners on my remake, so I made some custom text scroller and also an animated faction selection.
author=Sidewinder
I actually made this video awhile back, but I figured I'd show it off here, in case anyone's interested.

I'm open to feedback, but, for now everything is probably going to stay as is, until I get better with Blender.

(Link in case the video embed didn't work)

Game is actually a lot more lively with sound now, esp the jazz bar. I love how unique it is for an rm2k3 game to have freakin FMVs. Also don't worry about your 3D skills, I think it adds to the charm that some things may come off a bit primitive (to sell that early Blizzard nostalgia). I'd just worry about getting the tone right and getting as many cool vibe and locations.
author=Darken
Game is actually a lot more lively with sound now, esp the jazz bar. I love how unique it is for an rm2k3 game to have freakin FMVs. Also don't worry about your 3D skills, I think it adds to the charm that some things may come off a bit primitive (to sell that early Blizzard nostalgia). I'd just worry about getting the tone right and getting as many cool vibe and locations.

I agree! 100% I tried this out just to see how the FMV's would look like fullscreen and I got this error:

But the game plays fine in DirectDraw Window Mode and GDI rendering:

...So you might wanna add a disclaimer to those who play this with avi's enabled:
(keep it in GDI mode or DirectDraw Window Mode - DirectDraw FullScreen will crash the game.
)

the video looks great and the file size is even better; 4mbs for 17 seconds, is where you want to be with this, cause then, you can really start experimenting with FMVs. (you should have like, a scene where you get space soda from a space vending machine!) I love it - I think this will probably be the future of video playback in rpgmaker2000/2003, because going forward...I really don't see anyone using the methods I outlined in that video tutorial I did awhile back to convert videos - unless you're still using RPGAdvocate's rpgmaker and wanna go old school and play these games on Windows 98 and Windows Me or something - it's just too much work for something that doesn't look that great fullscreen anyways - But yeah, this is where you want to be with this, the video files are at a reasonable file size and they look great!

Kudos SideWinder. Darken told me about Dirge of Doningoth and that one Seasonal Dungeon blew me away. Really excited to see where you take this.
author=Lihinel
@Sidewinder: That's really impressive, did you custom make all the models/scenes/videos? didn't expect anyone to do anything like that with 2k(3).

The textures came from either NASA, textures.com, or pixabay, the audio I got from Kevin MaCleod, and the hyperspace animation is just my take on a tutorial from the excellent Space VFX Elements series, but everything else is more or less my work.

author=Lihinel
Not cutting any corners on my remake, so I made some custom text scroller and also an animated faction selection.

I am completely down with everything I saw in this video. The flags especially looked great, and animated really smoothly.

author=Darken

It's not so much I'm worried about not being very good at 3D per se (I am though, every time I go onto the Blender subreddit, part of me dies inside), it's more just that if I'm going spend hours re-rendering everything, I'd like to be able to do more than just one or two minor tweaks. Compare the original bar screen from Bounty Angel, to the updated version I made a few months later once I managed to grasp what UV Mapping was, and learned how to set up the materials properly.

Anyway, thanks! I know FMV games are more or less a dead genre so I don't think this is ever going to become popular, but I'm pretty happy with how it looks. Plus it's a fun way to actually motivate myself to learn new skills.

author=LordBlueRouge
...So you might wanna add a disclaimer to those who play this:
(keep it in GDI mode or DirectDraw Window Mode - DirectDraw FullScreen will crash the game.
)

I can add that disclaimer to Bounty Angel easily enough, though for Psi Dogs, all the "FMVs" are really just sprite-sheets I'm playing at either 30 or 20 FPS. As far as I know, there shouldn't be any issue with crashes, and I can transition from animations to regular backgrounds more or less seamlessly.

author=LordBlueRouge
the video looks great and the file size is even better; 4mbs for 17 seconds, is where you want to be with this, cause then, you can really start experimenting with FMVs. (you should have like, a scene where you get space soda from a space vending machine!)

You know, I could do that for the intro. I had a generic "Star Wars" scene where the ship just approaches Vulkan, but I think that might be a bit more interesting. This is going in my notes.

author=LordBlueRouge
I love it - I think this will probably be the future of video playback in rpgmaker2000/2003, because going forward...I really don't see anyone using the methods I outlined in that video tutorial I did awhile back to convert videos - unless you're still using RPGAdvocate's rpgmaker and wanna go old school and play these games on Windows 98 and Windows Me or something - it's just too much work for something that doesn't look that great fullscreen anyways - But yeah, this is where you want to be with this, the video files are at a reasonable file size and they look great!

Well, it's completely ideal. I know in your thread you were able to actually record the game when it played video files? I recorded a playthrough of Bounty Angel, but all I got was a black screen and I had to splice in all the .AVIs in post. Liberty ran into the same issue during the Theme Roulette which was kind of embarrassing.

author=LordBlueRouge
Kudos SideWinder.Darken told me about Dirge of Doningoth and that one Seasonal Dungeon blew me away. Really excited to see where you take this.

Oh, thanks! Though don't get too excited. The Sylph Woods was lightning in a bottle, and I'm not sure much of what I make will live up to that.
Found the old code for this. Made the movement tile-based and added some code for the ui. Thinking of turning it into a small dungeon crawler rpg thing:

author=Momeka
Found the old code for this. Made the movement tile-based and added some code for the ui. Thinking of turning it into a small dungeon crawler rpg thing:

What was this made in?
For some reason I REALLY love the colors.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I'd be interested, Momeka!
@ Sidewinder:
I love this! There's not much else I could say. But I love this.

@ Momeka:
Pretty nice work. Like what I see. Is this made with VXA Marta?

@ My progress:
I'm just about to translate an older game of mine that I still like very much. The work is progressing well and I hope you will like it. I'll probably be looking for proofreaders in the near future. I will keep you up to date.

Greetings,
Tw0Face
Thanks guys. And it's not rpgmaker, it's written in C# with the Monogame framework

@Twoface: I really like that world map art. Is it a city management game?
author=Momeka
@Twoface: I really like that world map art. Is it a city management game?

Thanks. :) Yeah, kind of. It's a strategy game with economic and war elements.

Greetings,
Tw0Face