SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

ESBY
extreme disappointment
author=Darken
because apparently everything has to do with the extremely limited ring menu bulma made
author=bulmabriefs144
This is my ring menu code.
just perfect

edit: new page better post something

here's a cowboy skeleton
You see? The next page, something was posted. Exactly as planned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt4329_W_s0

I have no words for this black and white cowboy skeleton.
Trying to make a UI for action rpg:

Got LVL, HP, MP, SP (stamina), EXP, and a skill bar. Am I missing anything else? What else can be improved? Ignore the thing at the top right, that's just stats display for testing purposes.
@PhantasmaX It's hard to know what more you need without knowing your systems, but it looks like the right amount. In general I think UI is about finding what's neccessary and sometimes asking what to taking away before asking what to add.

I do think the font for the health/magic/stamina numbers is way too small. No idea if it's a placeholder, but I'm straining to read it.

author=bulmabriefs144
I figured you were under the impression that I meant the blue next to Theas and <Shift. So it's some sort of transparency thing? Yeah, I didn't know because your last post before this seems to be a few pages back. It just kinda looked like what I get in paint projects when I copy and paste. You can probably fix that by tweaking transparency some more?

You're talking about this right?

That's the player character. When the menu goes away, he appears the same color as the blue box by Thea on the menu. You can see how it looks with Thea's sprite here:

Thea's not the main character, I just had her sprite done first since I made it by retooling a character sprite I made five-ish years ago when I last tried pixel art.

What do you mean by fix it? I can easily change the transparency by just punching in a different alpha value. Do you think it should be more or less transparent? I was trying to get to look close to the menus in the DS remakes of the Dragon Quests 4-6:

I did stretched a blank transparent black sheet across the screen on a layer inbetween the gameworld and the menu (which is why all the grass appears dark). So the actual menu is darker sitting on two layers of transparency. In the Dragon Quest IV screen here, they just have the bare game world beneath the menues. Does that look better to you? I thought the extra layer of transparency made things easier to read, but if it's really ugly I'll axe it.

I also changed the font, it's clean now.

@Sidewinder: I definitely meant funky in a good way lol. It's just a word I use with my friends. I think your thing's really cool, also the music is a perfect fit.
@PhantomX: Only thing I'd say is that the Red and Blue colors of the HP/MP bar look a bit garish, like you picked the first default color range. I think it would help to play around with the saturation/light/hue values more. Some examples. It would help with blending with your premade assets a bit better.
Ahhh, now I see what you mean.

Okay, my recommend would be if there legit is a character gap, try to color match to the menu or otherwise prevent from showing up. That's what I mean by transparent, not necessarily menu transparency.

I actually would like it less transparent (solid in fact), but that's personal taste. It does look okay transparent though.

Also, is there a reason (such as only one leader or something) why all four members can't display? I mean, if were me I'd keep all four then kinda pointer to the currently selected one.

---------------------

Phantasma, maybe try stretching the letters to fill the box given? Unless something's gonna be there. It's super tiny.

Ditto for the HP and MP numbers. Can you make them taller and about 75% wider? The SP looks okay though. Also, is that the date next to 100%?

I mean, can you do anything about this stuff or is it automated?

@EtherPenguin
Thanks for the suggestion! I changed out the font. I think it looked really bad before because I resized the game window so everything got squished. Also, love the simple design of your menu, it's like all the pieces snap together perfectly!

Here is what it looks like normally, after I made some changes.

@Darken
Used the site and got me some real colors for the health and mana. Before, it was generic blue/red. Thanks!

@Bulma
The font was pixel font before, it's a normal font now, made it bigger now, but hopefully it is still not too small. I resized the stamina / exp bars to increase their height a bit to fit in the font. The number under the level is the %exp to level up, I removed the 100, now its just the %. Thanks for the suggestions. Nothing is automated, and I can make changes anywhere (using GMS2).

Suuppper nice suggestions, thank you all again. Been about 2 weeks since I started coding this project, hoping to finish this within 2 weeks, there are still a couple big systems I need to code, which I am fine with, but things like art, UI are where I'll run into trouble.

As for the game itself, action RPG / dungeon crawler? I haven't really decided on any plot or anything yet either.

Character selection screen, if anyone has any suggestions, that would be nice.

Combat?:

Yup, that's better. I was wondering cuz sometimes I write stuff that gets kinda hard coded.

Combat is too zoomed out yeah, but I like how the combat itself is designed. As long as it's workable.

I really like this character select screen. So it goes up and down, but also subclasses left and right?
@Bulma
Up and down to select the classes, left and right to select unique bonuses. Not sure what to call it exactly, so I called it "blessings" for now.
I'm not sure how I feel about this tileset. It's not bad, and the fact is it's all I have to work with. But something just feels meh to me.
As a sucker for nes style graphics. I'd say that looks pretty awesome, and you managed to work with what you had to make something simplistic, yet interesting.
author=Pyramid_Head
As a sucker for nes style graphics. I'd say that looks pretty awesome, and you managed to work with what you had to make something simplistic, yet interesting.

Thanks PH! :D
author=nemojbatkastle
I'm not sure how I feel about this tileset. It's not bad, and the fact is it's all I have to work with. But something just feels meh to me.

Actually, it is very bad. But it's forgivable. I've done bad maps too.

The short version, is that it looks like floor tiles for the... (hotel?) are climbing up the walls. The satellite toweres have inconsistent flooring.

To similate a building's vertical lift, suddenly switch from its "floor" to another floor about 1/3 of the way up. Like this.
author=bulmabriefs144
Actually, it is very bad. But it's forgivable. I've done bad maps too.

The short version, is that it looks like floor tiles for the... (hotel?) are climbing up the walls. The satellite toweres have inconsistent flooring.

To similate a building's vertical lift, suddenly switch from its "floor" to another floor about 1/3 of the way up. Like this.

I'm having a hard time parsing the phrasing here.
I like the chipset. It's pretty cool.

I'd recommend this fix instead:

I'm assuming that bulma doesn't like the fact that the ground surrounds the building. I think using it as a base for the building to be on is fine though. I just think it should be even out the front and that it should be as thick as the building.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
These aren't actually for a game BUUUUT

I'm working on combining parts of MV and Ace RTP with FSM tiles to create new tilesets and I think it's been going really well so far. Not sure what I'll do next, but considering more caves. (Please excuse the maps themselves not being that good, they're just to test tilesets ^^)
author=Liberty
I like the chipset. It's pretty cool.

I'd recommend this fix instead:
(Picture here)

I'm assuming that bulma doesn't like the fact that the ground surrounds the building. I think using it as a base for the building to be on is fine though. I just think it should be even out the front and that it should be as thick as the building.

Liberty, you get me. That's fine too. I just kinda didn't like the weird cornering effect. Having done several buildings like that, this sorta thing makes me cringe now.

author=Frogge
These aren't actually for a game BUUUUT

The Kombuncha Mushroom People?

Sorry, that's exactly what this reminded me of. That song.

That, or this song.

They're cute mushroom houses though, and I like the lesser mushrooms nearby (nice touch). The only critique I can think of offhand is that from a logistical standpoint, nobody would build a cemetary near a cliff. It's too easy to fall to your doom, and add to those buried. And erosion is a bit of a horrible problem. Maybe extend it out?
@Frogge: I really love the green fog cave. It's very atmospheric.

I'm back to working on this thing after a couple of weeks break. Added item pick ups and some mummified corpses.

@Sidewinder: Surprised that video you posted didn't get more comments! I love the grungy appeal of it. Completely lacks gloss in the best way. It's got that sort of late-80s "yeah, this is how the future will look" vibe, and I dig it.

@Esby: We don't see too many 8x8 grids 'round these parts, but that's mighty fine work. A skeleton'd be real hard to hit in a duel, I bet.

@PhantasmaX: Some pretty cool stuff, although I think I'd shrink the bezels a bit in the HUD (it's good in the non-combat menus). It's a pretty minor complaint given how high the resolution is, but I am biased against thick borders.

@Frogge: That green tileset is dope as hell. FSM caves are usually pretty boring, but not that one! I'm not entirely sold on the big mushroom's stalks (they just look too wide to me) but the smaller (still huge, but smaller) mushrooms look GREAT.

@Momeka: You're a powerful wizard and I hope you continue to use your powers for good.

@Nemo: I think that's a pretty cool area, and I like the contrast between the green and the turquoise, and those orange plants really tie it together nicely. If you use those checkered tiles like a base, you need to take into account the height of the building. I'd bring the balcony to the left and the right of the tower down one (maybe two?) to sell the idea that the tower is taller by having more of it "hang" over the edge. Personally I'd split the different between bulma's (who has one checkered tile on the side of the steel part of the building) and Liberty's (who has three) edits and go with two to try and get the perspective just right. The balcony (balcony is not the right term, but... hopefully you get what I mean) is the big thing for me, though.
@Kaempfer
Thanks for the suggestion! Now I cant unsee the bezels. Did a quick trim of the sprite and it does look a lot better:

Also working on an inventory system at the moment: