SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

All the more reason to fix it.
Surely there are way more important things to address in JRPGs than tile principles???? Uh also new page so:

My upcoming video gamf is on steam btw Wishlist On Steam plz and ty
Made a mini boss! With this, the first phase of my game (the engine)is done, so now I am finally able to start polishing and refactoring some stuff, while I get ready to add in the rest of the content to the game.

@PhantasmaX, looking great! Really intense! Your battle system in general is really intense :D

@Darken, Loving the artstyle once again! Now that I've seen more screens, I started to make connections to the Blame! manga. Dunno if it really is any influence for your game, but there is something similar there I think.

Anyways, I released this little teaser trailer for my new game:
@orange Thanks! For boss fights, the idea is that they are intense and somewhat challenging, but if you're skilled enough to read and evade the attacks, you wont even take damage at all. Also, that teaser looks amazing! Did you do all the art yourself?
author=Garbamesh

Not trying to overly advertise here, but really wanted to share this with you guys.

Kingdoms of the Dump Kickstarter is up. Without RMN this game would never exist. Thanks to all of you for keeping this place alive, I wish I did more to contribute to the disourse here.

...There's only 6 days left, but I just wanted to say congrats on getting funded! Very exciting news!
One of the many heroes I look up to here on RMN. Looking forward to whats in store.
Congrats dude, seriously! I got chills! This is fantastic!
@PhantasmaX, Sounds good. I just read an interview by the developers of Bloodstained and they had the principle that the devs should be able to defeat all the bosses with the weakest weapon without taking any damage. That way the game never became about grinding or getting levels. Seems like you got something similar going on. And yeah the art is all done by me. I also make the soundtrack (although heavily relying on samples to mix together) so the development isn't exactly super fast.

And cograts on getting funded Garbamesh! It was a no-brainer really. The game looks too good!
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Man it feels good to be working on something again.
I'm doing a remake of an old game that was already a remake of an old game.
(For anyone wondering the difference between the original and the new is 4 years)

author=Frogge
Man it feels good to be working on something again.
I'm doing a remake of an old game that was already a remake of an old game.
(For anyone wondering the difference between the original and the new is 4 years)

I'm digging that rework Frogge, lookin' crisp!

Bob is back, now on MV (Or not, its more of a fallback project, for times I am not otherwise occupied)
Also tried to draw some monster girls (Slimes and Monstergirls, what could possibly go wrong?), but that didn't work out too well.
So I'll stick to normal monster sprites for now, and might replace them later on if I can.
Remaking Centuria, my cancelled VX Ace game from a few years ago, in MV and with original graphics instead of rips. I've got a video instead of a screenshot which shows a few different maps I've been working on.

To reference what Centuria used to be, here's the old VX Ace version that NicoB tried once:

Working on my town mapping. Any feedback is welcome as I'm considering redoing the main town in my game, and this map here is the trail run.

author=roden
It's a nice shot, but on further viewing I notice the shingles/cone on the castle top there in the corner don't match the perspective. Shit doesn't have to be perfect but that's REALLY far off 3/4. Looks more like a flat 2D perspective than anything.

im very late to the party but roden gave very constructive and important criticism which can help improve the artist's ability to portray elements within the context of the game world (the sorta stuff we do struggle often) and y'all shrugged it off defensively before Blind even had a chance to comment :T

Blind's screens are gorgeous, but this could benefit from a single line of pixels to improve the sensation of perspective but, more importantly, the awareness that comes with fixing that very small thing means that futurely, the artist's understanding of that will have improved and that is invaluable :P

you should try to... not be defensive... for other people, that's a really good thing to do

also congrats on all the rest of awesome screenshots yall
People are allowed to voice whether or not something is that crucial to fix. Constructive criticism is nice but it's also good to question priorities. This is one of the biggest flaws of the screenshot topic mind you. I don't wanna go into how RPGs do top-down projection is largely inconsistent anyway (and probably just over-correcting based on someones interpretation or preference rather than something fundamental to art) but like eh, ultimately I don't think all criticism is valid for criticisms sake. Not everyone's in the experimental art phase either.
author=JosephSeraph
author=roden
It's a nice shot, but on further viewing I notice the shingles/cone on the castle top there in the corner don't match the perspective. Shit doesn't have to be perfect but that's REALLY far off 3/4. Looks more like a flat 2D perspective than anything.
im very late to the party but roden gave very constructive and important criticism which can help improve the artist's ability to portray elements within the context of the game world (the sorta stuff we do struggle often) and y'all shrugged it off defensively before Blind even had a chance to comment :T

Blind's screens are gorgeous, but this could benefit from a single line of pixels to improve the sensation of perspective but, more importantly, the awareness that comes with fixing that very small thing means that futurely, the artist's understanding of that will have improved and that is invaluable :P

you should try to... not be defensive... for other people, that's a really good thing to do

also congrats on all the rest of awesome screenshots yall

I stopped caring once it was clear that nobody else did, but hey, thanks for the backup bud.

I will keep such opinions to myself and fix my own art, and leave BR alone. (Good luck on the kickstarter btw). I'm not here to argue with the stubborn brick fortress that RMN can be, not anymore.

People can have janky or weird or bad looking shit in their games. It's their stuff. I feel compelled to at least say something though. Other devs might be more responsive to it.

Darken
I don't wanna go into how RPGs do top-down projection is largely inconsistent anyway (and probably just over-correcting based on someones interpretation or preference rather than something fundamental to art) but like eh, ultimately I don't think all criticism is valid for criticisms sake.

I don't appreciate the idea that I only offered advice to be a contrarian. But you do you. Perhaps it's only my own fatally perfectionist mind that would notice or care about something like that, but it feels wrong to not mention it if I notice it.
author=roden
I don't appreciate the idea that I only offered advice to be a contrarian. But you do you. Perhaps it's only my own fatally perfectionist mind that would notice or care about something like that, but it feels wrong to not mention it if I notice it.

????? I didn't say that? The only real point I'm making is that critique can be discussed or disagreed with. You can say what you want to say dude lol.
unity
You're magical to me.
The problem isn't that the dev (in this case, Blind) and someone giving criticism (in this case, Roden) disagree (so far, at least), it's that orange- dismissed Roden's criticism.

Which, I mean, fair enough, everyone's entitled to their opinions. But I would like it if people who have an eye for art and perspective keep offering good criticism here as that's part of the point of this thread.

But yeah, of course, any dev is free to embrace or dismiss any criticisms they get here. Because lord knows I've made a lot of perspective errors and I appreciate when they are pointed out, but as I grow older I'm coming more to terms with my limited time and that perfection isn't always possible for aspects of projects.
author=Darken
author=roden
????? I didn't say that? The only real point I'm making is that critique can be discussed or disagreed with. You can say what you want to say dude lol.

I apologize. I misunderstood what you meant when talking about criticism for the sake of criticism.
I'd need to see the Castle Roof part connected to a castle piece to see how they line up on a perspective level. The minor nitpick that really bugs me when I look back at the picture is the perspective of the two banisters on the first set of stairs going up to the first landing. Since they are suppose to be running diagonal with the stairs the banisters should have different shading then the two that are running flat in the picture. However since it is the same tile being used for all four of them it throws it off a bit.
My bad for not checking back here!

author=Arcmagik
I'd need to see the Castle Roof part connected to a castle piece to see how they line up on a perspective level. The minor nitpick that really bugs me when I look back at the picture is the perspective of the two banisters on the first set of stairs going up to the first landing. Since they are suppose to be running diagonal with the stairs the banisters should have different shading then the two that are running flat in the picture. However since it is the same tile being used for all four of them it throws it off a bit.

Here’s a shot of the tower/roof from another setting (the screen tint is different but you get the idea). I personally think it looks fine, but I can absolutely see why it seems disjointed with the other screenshot! It might be worth tweaking or replacing.

Roden
will keep such opinions to myself and fix my own art, and leave BR alone. (Good luck on the kickstarter btw). I'm not here to argue with the stubborn brick fortress that RMN can be, not anymore.

People can have janky or weird or bad looking shit in their games. It's their stuff. I feel compelled to at least say something though. Other devs might be more responsive to it.

Nah, I hope you don’t feel that way! I say to people all the time how valuable criticism is for my work, even the harshest comments. I wouldn’t have come so far from my amateurish early years if not for the constant hurling of feedback (in this case, feedback I can pass along to my tile artist), so everything helps.

@Frogge: Lighting looks fantastic! Maybe just desaturate the Refmap tiles a bit more if you’re trying to go for that ominous mood.