SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

author=tarma
It's been a while since I don't share pics on this thread so, let's go!

I'm working on a short JRPG that I'm using to learn how to make a game and also testing a lot of stuff. So far, I'm really happy with the results. Mapping is almost done and now I'm focused on eventing.

I like this a lot! The mapping looks really nice, and the softer palette that you opted for breathes new life into the familiar graphics.
author=tarma
It's been a while since I don't share pics on this thread so, let's go!

I don't usually comment here, but I just have to say that this is really impressive. I suddendly had one of these "I-want-to-play-RIGHT-NOW!"-moments when I first saw this.
yeah, same, I'm itching to play that game! RTP used with style and charm like that always gets me. I love seeing the different qualities and moods people manage to extract from this shared universe within the RTP. <3

working on a menu
unity
You're magical to me.
That looks amazing, Jo! :DDD

Lydia's animation looks a bit uncanny, though. That kind of animation would be okay at sprite size, but at that size it looks a little off
author=JosephSeraph
yeah, same, I'm itching to play that game! RTP used with style and charm like that always gets me. I love seeing the different qualities and moods people manage to extract from this shared universe within the RTP. <3

working on a menu

I’m in awe.

Gotta agree with Unity though, something looks a bit off with Lydia’s animation. I’m a big fan of everything else though.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
That's some crazy ui, Jo
@josephseraph, I'll join in on the praises. Everything looks gorgeous! The character portrait reminds me of Chrono Cross. Intentional or not, I love that.

@MarkusT, the genesis vibes are real. I think it's the stark contrast of shading combined with the very western style characters. In any case, looks like an authentic genesis game, which is a really cool thing.
The thing is, a SEGA Genesis could usually only display 61 colors on screen.
My game has even more on screen than the SNES could do.
Actually, if anything, i'd say it looks like a SEGA Saturn game.
Ever seen keio flying squadron 2? .. to quote tophat gaming man on youtube "Yyyyyeahhhhhhh". lol >_<

Finally got another demo out! Please try it out people!
author=MarkusT
The thing is, a SEGA Genesis could usually only display 61 colors on screen.
My game has even more on screen than the SNES could do.
Actually, if anything, i'd say it looks like a SEGA Saturn game.
Ever seen keio flying squadron 2? .. to quote tophat gaming man on youtube "Yyyyyeahhhhhhh". lol >_<

I can understand wanting to emulate older game systems' constraints, because it's a lot of fun to work around the limits. (Currently doing a Master System RPG myself.) But it might be too much to try to emulate the hardware constraints.

Beyond keeping yourself limited to a certain palette and resolution, there's not much that you can do. It's difficult to even track a situation that would have triggered a real hardware problem like sprite overflow or illegal palettes.

So, keep within the limits that you want, but don't go crazy trying for accuracy. That's been my mantra.
I never said i was emulating any sort of constraints.. people just said it looked like i was.
I don't like constraining anything..
I despised the constraints that RPG Maker 2000 and 2003 had color wise.
I'm not trying to limit myself at all.
In fact, i despise mesh/dithering pasterns people keep using in pixel art with todays technology.
But someone said my game looked like a SEGA Genesis game, and I was just trying to compare it to something that makes more sense.. considering all the colors i use.
When I first started the game I'm working on now, I wanted to make it in an 8-bit/NES style and do all the graphics myself. This was way harder than I thought and I gave up. However, I do like limiting myself to a certain color palette. Just not THAT limited.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
just have somebody else make the graphics, dethmetal!

thought this was a nice spot to sit and think
Sprite work is my most favorite part of game development.. it's what I spend about 85% of my time doing..
I've offered help to folks before.. but there's too much head butting.. i'm giving my all, making beautiful graphics.. and they nit pick stupid sh*t like "why so many frames of animation, i only want TWO" and sh*t like that..
At that point, i just can not keep going.. and i throw my hands up and back out of what's being made..
Craze, I'm already planning on shelling out more money than I can ever possibly make back on character portraits and monster graphics, so for tilesets I'm going to go with a mixture of custom, premade and edited tiles! Although, yeah, your aesthetic there is pretty close to what I had in mind originally (although more GBC or NES inspired than classic GB). Are those graphics yours? They look great along with the mapping!

Markus, it's absurd that someone would ever object to have MORE frames of animation than they asked for. Animating sprites, at least to me, is the hardest part...

I'll be spriting a lot for my current game. There are basically 16 characters to choose from (eight races and two genders). I've already created each of them. However, I'm also planning to make it so that your armor choices show in game, so I've also been hard at work creating each armor piece.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Are these from the Ocean's pack or custom, Craze?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Cap_H
Are these from the Ocean's pack or custom, Craze?

Ocean! I've added some custom stuff but none of it's in this shot

over those green hills ~
(i made the hills. they are not amazing but they do the job lol)

tried some icons too, with help from friends lol
author=Craze
just have somebody else make the graphics, dethmetal!

thought this was a nice spot to sit and think
Looking real nice. The low-color count really suits your mapping style, IMO.

author=dethmetal
Craze, I'm already planning on shelling out more money than I can ever possibly make back on character portraits and monster graphics, so for tilesets I'm going to go with a mixture of custom, premade and edited tiles! Although, yeah, your aesthetic there is pretty close to what I had in mind originally (although more GBC or NES inspired than classic GB). Are those graphics yours? They look great along with the mapping!

Depending on the scope of your game, check who's available for work on Twitter or PixelJoint etc. You may ultimately find an artist who wants to collaborate for the whole project! You have enough experience now where you could definitely sell your next game to make back the costs, even if it's mostly for fun.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
@Ocean, it still looks really good. I'd also recommend to make the screen a wee bit smaller to make it look even more like a gba game.

The thing with custom resources is to have talented co-creators. Exploiting friends is bad but I think that many would love to work with you for lower wages if they're personally interested in your project.