SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
I've been feeling like doing an american road trip RPG lately. Knowing me I won't get it finished, of course, but I do like how North and South Dakota are turning out so far.

Still WIP as well. Probably could use some tints and the world map really needs some sort of border HUD overlay.

Big previews:

Edit: Man, I'm lucky with these page breaks aren't I?
I'm really digging the concept and that overworld map. Not sure about the chopped down trees on that map though.
author=Frogge

Wow, these are fantastic. I love the use of the tilesets!!!!
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
ACCIDENTAL DOUBLE POST
Gretgor
author=Frogge
I've been feeling like doing an american road trip RPG lately. Knowing me I won't get it finished, of course, but I do like how North and South Dakota are turning out so far.

Oh boy, this sounds so cool! Gonna do all states? If you don't trust that you're gonna finish the entire thing, why not release a new downloadable version everytime you finish a new state? This way, even if you never finish it all, at least we get to play a bit of it!
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
author=Jpratt
I'm really digging the concept and that overworld map. Not sure about the chopped down trees on that map though.

Thanks! Anything in particular wrong with the chopped down trees?

author=goji

Thank you, I'm really trying to do something new with the tilesets and so far I'm very happy with how it's turning out!

author=Gretgor
Oh boy, this sounds so cool! Gonna do all states? If you don't trust that you're gonna finish the entire thing, why not release a new downloadable version everytime you finish a new state? This way, even if you never finish it all, at least we get to play a bit of it!

I'm trying to do almost all states, but there's nine of them that I didn't plan anything for. Maybe further into development if I feel inspired to add to them, but I think all but nine states in america is still a ton to explore by itself (especially considering Alaska and Hawaii are also included).

I considered the different versions thing, but I guess we'll have to see when I get further into development. I don't really like releasing things if they are not 100% finished, but if I get far enough when I inevitably give up on it maybe I'll just release everything I have up until that point.
author=Frogge
author=Jpratt
Thanks! Anything in particular wrong with the chopped down trees?

author=goji

Thank you, I'm really trying to do something new with the tilesets and so far I'm very happy with how it's turning out!

author=Gretgor

I'm trying to do almost all states, but there's nine of them that I didn't plan anything for. Maybe further into development if I feel inspired to add to them, but I think all but nine states in america is still a ton to explore by itself (especially considering Alaska and Hawaii are also included).

I considered the different versions thing, but I guess we'll have to see when I get further into development. I don't really like releasing things if they are not 100% finished, but if I get far enough when I inevitably give up on it maybe I'll just release everything I have up until that point.

They just seem off to me for an overworld map, or maybe there's just so many thry really stand out. In any case, it is your game, your design! Also, I don't have the big picture.
Gretgor
@Frogge Starting a game and then never finishing it sounds like the story of my life to be honest. :( glad to know I'm not the only one.

Hopefully one day we will find out what is holding us back so we can finally start finishing what we started but didn't originally finish.
author=Gretgor
@Frogge Starting a game and then never finishing it sounds like the story of my life to be honest. :( glad to know I'm not the only one.

Hopefully one day we will find out what is holding us back so we can finally start finishing what we started and didn't finish.

I've learned to stop being overwhelmed by how much is left to be done, and to focus on how much has been accomplished so far. I find it helps to stay on a project for the long haul.
Recently finished the HUD. Next up is enemy graphics. I'm kinda ok with how my testmap currently looks. What do you think?

I've been tinkering around with the last map I posted here.
I've completely moved on from using the RM2K3 in-engine chipset builder and graduated to using panoramas, pictures, and charsets for mapping.

It's fully functional at this point, and now working on the inner areas.

Let me know what you guys think.
Are the pink "Action" indicators too much? I currently have it set to a variable that can switch them off and on.

Also, working on a radial menu. It's pretty bare atm.

author=Jpratt

Dude, this graphic work is rad! Is this all original?
Looks sick. Demo available?
@Giznads
Damnnn son, all of it is looking snazzy af. I love that grainy sand effect, adds so much flair to the environment. Hm, the pink indicators can be a little much since there's so many of them next to each other.

I can see them being necessary for entrances you can't normally see, but honestly, I don't think you should use them for the ladders at least!
Gretgor
@Giznads that looks sweet! Love the choice of style for the charsets, reminds me a bit of Kindred Saga but prettier.
@Giznads
The pink indicators are a bit much. It detracts from the map as your mostly reading the UI. Is it possible to make them only appear when the player is within a few tiles? Then the player has to actually explore the environment.

@Frogge
Every one of those screenshots is amazing. Especially the gold mine. The scene is so well framed and visually interesting.
@Frogge:
That looks very cool. What time period is it set in?

@Giznads:
Everything looks amazing. I'm a big fan of the post-apocalyptic stuff, and you've done it really well. It's chaotic and overgrown, just right.

I hate the pink arrows, though. I know you say the player can turn them off, but without them how would they possibly know about those side-facing doors? Maybe some other indicator would better, like a half-open door we can see, or a prompt based on proximity, like Ramshackin. It just seems like a shame to make this immersive looking world and then cover it up with flashing UI elements. Same goes for the "Z ACTION" prompt. It seems like... too big, too bold, for the desolate backdrop.

A cozy little town in Moonsong, which is now fully playable.
Here's a little video I recorded for a little more immersiveness.
Gameplay is a little rough around the edges, but I'm still working on it.

author=KoopaKush

author=Ramshackin

author=Kaempfer

Thank you guys for the feedback! It means so much to me.
I really like the idea of proximity triggering the indicators. I'm currently trying to figure that out now. I'm also definitely going to try and make the entrances to places stand out more.

Next up, I'm gonna upload a video of the battle system next as soon as I can. I've made some big changes.
author=Giznads
author=Jpratt
Dude, this graphic work is rad! Is this all original?
Looks sick. Demo available?

Thanks man, means a lot. Everything in the image is original except the tree and rock are adapted in from other resources. Same on the swamp, heavy edit to a zelda tree and the mushrooms from another tileset.

Won't be any demo's. This game will go from production to release as a full game. However, it's some way from completion still. It's... big.
author=Giznads

I really can't even begin to describe how enjoyable that was - I watched that whole clip! Very inspiring and I love all of the creativity in the environment. I adore the robot that follows the character and the little noises it makes throughout the video.
@Giznads
Damn, I love the video man. Seeing the maps and everything in action is surely something else! The insane amount of polish and detail is amazing :) keep it up!

I've been bouncing back and forth about the idea of giving bosses their name plate and health bar, and I'm thinking of keeping it somewhat like this. Feels like it adds more flair to the bosses and it'll help keep track of what environmental damage or weapons are the most effective to use.

EDIT: I'm also not done editing the boss sprite just yet!