MCBACON JAM

Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
author=Archeia_Nessiah
Oh, I see. Well then, I'm dropping out.

Info removed. If anyone else wants out, just clearly state such and I'll update stuff.
unity
You're magical to me.
Closer to the 22nd, you could always take those not solidified into teams and random them off with each other?
Zeigfried_McBacon
author=unity
Closer to the 22nd, you could always take those not solidified into teams and random them off with each other?

If people are having trouble and consent to that, I will certainly do so,

Also, its come to my attention that there may be some clique build up as a result of some of the (poor) choices I've made. I think its safe to say, as it stands, later events will be way more... random.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
All right! It's official:
Yellow Magic, TungerManU and NeverSilent have formed a team!

We're still looking for an artist to join us if possible. So if anyone of you talented people would be interested, please let us know.

I'm looking forward the start of the event!
Zeigfried_McBacon
author=NeverSilent
All right! It's official:
Yellow Magic, TungerManU and NeverSilent have formed a team!

We're still looking for an artist to join us if possible. So if anyone of you talented people would be interested, please let us know.

I'm looking forward the start of the event!

Nothing is "official" at this point, and Im having a very big issue I need to fix ASAP. Namely, I don't want people feeling like outcast in this, so much to the point that if I have to make some changes to how we do THIS event, it may come to that. I've already got people dropping out or talking of it because of this. I admit, I have made some errors, and it would seem I need to fix them.
Name: Link_2112
Main skill: Eventing
Other skills: Ideas, mapping, pixel art, crappy sound effects, shitty music
Engines/Languages/framework preference: 2k3, Ace, ...Smbx
Prefer to work on: Can't think of a preference on genre. I do like FFL graphics but whatever.
Prefer NOT to work on: Horror, just don't like it and would suck at making it. Not a fan of RTP.
Comment: Even if I don't like whatever the team decides on, I can still do some coding. I specialize in adding slightly complex code to regular gameplay areas to make it more interesting to play. And options, love to give the player options.

I haven't been around for just a few days and already people have formed teams. As far as I knew this was still in the planning stage. Seems a little unfair this time around, before everyone was made aware of event details, people already started pairing up. I expected that to happen when an event page was made, but maybe I'm not familiar enough with how these things actually work. Either way, it's not a big deal for me. I'll work with anybody. It just seems unorganized and unbalanced.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
I didn't mean to use the word "official" in the completely literal sense. But what's more important: Why exactly would anyone feel outcast? It seemed to me like most regulars here were very open to working with anyone.
I certainly don't want anyone to feel like they're being left behind, either, and the idea some have that feeling makes me pretty sad. (Especially considering I'm not really a veteran myself.) But there's always the possibility of simply asking or inquiring on this thread. Everyone can just try and talk a bit more, that might make it a lot easier for others to notice you. Many of those who signed up simply haven't said a lot yet, and there might be many who'd be happy to work with them without them even knowing.

In my opinion, you've been doing fine so far, Zeigfried.
Welp! I had already posted similar information in the previous thread, but to not feel left out...

Name: Guess. =B
Main skill: Anything to do with graphics. Also, presentation: atmosphere, pacing... stuff like that.
Other skills: Medium-level Eventing. Mapping. And menial database chores. I'm Ok with those.
Non-existent skills: Scripting, Good Writing, Music/Sound creation.
Engines/Languages/framework preference: rm2k3, Ace Lite. =(
Prefer to work on: Something serious... relatable? Set in a "realistic" setting. Could be Sci-Fi or even Horror.
Prefer NOT to work on: Text Adventures, Visual Novels, High Fantasy, Nothing too crazy, corny, or preachy...
Comment: Fine! Don't take me out to dance. Someday I'll be the boss of the lot of you anyway.
Zeigfried_McBacon
Just so we're clear here people, I have made some mistakes, and it basically boils down to this; there's a really good chance that some people are going to feel left out. If things don't sort themselves out and too many people get left behind. I'm gonna have to switch this up some. I know I said I'd allow people to choose their own teams, and that may have been a mistake on my part, and I apologize for any trouble of unwarranted raised hopes.
unity
You're magical to me.
New things like this are bound to be thorny. Take all the time you need to sort this out. I don't want people to be left out, either, and if that makes random teams needed or another method, then I'm cool with that.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Personally, I don't necessarily mind that people are teaming up, since that's half the point of this event. What I mind is the lack of details about the event itself. Is there a theme? What's the time-frame for the event, when it gets started? Are there judges? Stuff like that.

*Edit: Ummm, so, er, anybody wanna work with me?
Zeigfried_McBacon
author=Marrend
Personally, I don't necessarily mind that people are teaming up, since that's half the point of this event. What I mind is the lack of details about the event itself. Is there a theme? What's the time-frame for the event, when it gets started? Are there judges? Stuff like that.

I will announce a theme, and when I do is when it begins (as it stands, the 21st of this month)
Time frame is 2 weeks (I said this before, but I can understand if you dont feel like wading through post)
No judges, though I'll be managing it to make sure it goes smoothly. The idea is to get people to work with people they haven't really worked with and get a feel of what its like working with said people.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
One of the reasons why I liked the idea behind this event was that it actually did allow us to choose team partners more freely instead of teams being randomized. Especially since some of us prefer to work with different engines than others.
Really, if anyone feels left out, please just say so and I'm sure there will be plenty of people who would love to take you in.

author=Marrend

All of this has been said on previous pages. There will be a theme, and Zeigfried is going to tell us what it is once the event officially starts. The time frame is two weeks, and it will start on January 22nd. I'm not sure if there are any judges, since this is not a competition but a jam.

Edit: Ninja'ed, sorry.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I don't know - I really hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, but to me it seems like the majority of people who've signed up are now worried about forming teams...if they're so many not already in teams, maybe you guys should just bite the bullet and ask people you're interested in working with?

EDIT: Ninja'd myself!!

EDIT EDIT: Oh, one idea is to keep a spreadsheet of current teams and any vacancies in them.
I don't see why anyone would feel left out before we even started. There are maybe one or two teams at this point, with the majority of participants not in a team. I'm not in a team yet but I am not worried in the slightest. There are several weeks left to find partners.
Also, if you're so worried, why not at least try to ask the people that signed up before giving up without even trying. You're going to have to talk to your teammates eventually anyway. I dunno is there some kind of shame or fear in asking other people? It's not the end of the world to get rejected, you know.
If my own internal struggle is a microcosm for the community, then the issue is that we're all too goddamn shy just to ask each other to the prom. I've got a tentative team together (i.e. maybe one other person who hasn't even posted in the thread), but I'd be okay with switching to random or keeping it the way it is. I also would like there to actually BE judges and for the game jam to be a bit more official--like adding some badges or something. I don't really NEED this, but it might attract more of the user base since this whole thing feels a bit ramshackle at the moment.
To me, this being a loose analogy, it seems like we were talking about playing kickball. We were talking about when to play kickball and what the rules would be. And before everyone is on the field, standing in line to pick teams, some of the best players already picked their teams.

Again, I'm not personally bothered by it. But considering we're only playing kickball in like 2 weeks, maybe we should hold off on picking teams? To ensure everyone understands the rules and all that. Give people a chance to make those comments about who they'd like to team up with or raise any concerns they have about the event. We can't do anything for the event until the theme is released anyways. It's only been 5 days since the topic opened and it's mostly the active RMN memebers that have been following the whole thing.

As it stands, if someone says they want to work Unity(and who hasn't xD) the answer might be "sorry, team's full up".
Zeigfried_McBacon
I have to talk to Kentona, best rest assured, I intend for there to be badges and makerscore for participation.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Ziegfried McBacon: Don't sweat it so much, bro. It's alright. These things take some figuring out.

author=YellowMagic
I don't know - I really hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, but to me it seems like the majority of people who've signed up are now worried about forming teams...if they're so many not already in teams, maybe you guys should just bite the bullet and ask people you're interested in working with?

Honestly, you make a really good point on the otherhand my lifelong utterly crippling fear of rejection is covering his ears and yelling 'LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU'. : )

author=SnowOwl
I don't see why anyone would feel left out before we even started. There are maybe one or two teams at this point, with the majority of participants not in a team. I'm not in a team yet but I am not worried in the slightest. There are several weeks left to find partners.

I totally agree with you I mean you're factually speaking absolutely right.

author=SnowOwl
Also, if you're so worried, why not at least try to ask the people that signed up before giving up without even trying. You're going to have to talk to your teammates eventually anyway. I dunno is there some kind of shame or fear in asking other people? It's not the end of the world to get rejected, you know.

On the other hand to be honest...to certain types (ok, I'll just the bite and bullet and call it what is: to people who suffer from my brand of anxiety disorder) getting rejected is a thousand times worse than just never asking and not being on a team anyway, lol.

This is why I have asked out one girl in my entire life. She said yes, which was nice so technically I'm 1 for 1. Every other girl I dated (not that there have been that many) including my current girlfriend of a million years asked me while I was cowering (or should I say cowarding) in the corner, which was really nice and took the pressure off.

author=Link2112
To me, this being an analogy, it seems like we were talking about playing kickball. We were talking about when to play kickball and what the rules would be. And before everyone is on the field, standing in line to pick teams, some of the best players already picked their teams.

I feel like this is very, very true. Well I would hesitate to label anyone "best" here because what are we even basing that on. But quibbling aside yes I feel like some of us have been waiting for the starting gun and some of us heard it days ago and were off running and it's just generally created a sense of confusion.

So I guess what I feel more than like, nervous or fretful about being on a team is just kind of confused and antsy as to what step in the process we're even at.

But I'd like to reiterate that I don't like blame or resent Zeigfried for this at all. I think he's handled this very democratically and informally and when you are chill like that you'll get some people who aren't on the same exact page and that's fine.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Link_2112
To me, this being an analogy, it seems like we were talking about playing kickball. We were talking about when to play kickball and what the rules would be. And before everyone is on the field, standing in line to pick teams, some of the best players already picked their teams.

Again, I'm not personally bothered by it. But considering we're only playing kickball in like 2 weeks, maybe we should hold off on picking teams? To ensure everyone understands the rules and all that. Give people a chance to make those comments about who they'd like to team up with or raise any concerns they have about the event. We can't do anything for the event until the theme is released anyways. It's only been 5 days since the topic opened and it's mostly the active RMN memebers that have been following the whole thing.

As it stands, if someone says they want to work Unity(and who hasn't xD) the answer might be "sorry, team's full up".

Good point. I apologize if I jumped the gun. I just got a little over-excited about the event >.<;;