MCBACON JAM

I'll just mention that I'm mainly looking to event stuff. I can do CBS(not too complex) and CMS and just about anything you can think of. I can do some of the CMS graphics. I would prefer to be on a team where I don't have to work on chip/tilesets or story.
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Something I think I need to clear up; you can only be on one team per event.
Honestly, I think you should exchange some PMs with kentona and liberty maybe, and put this on the freezer for an official release. A new thread and stuff. Have people undo their teams and wait for the clear and definite new thread, possibly released together with the banner or stuff or even as an official event using our event system xD
Well I've got the impression that this event will repeat further in the year, so there'll be other chances to work with different people.
author=Max McGee
There's also the basic human fact that I think all people WANT to be popular and desired. It's only natural. So when I see lots of people saying that they really want to work with 'X, Y, or Z' in this thread and neither X, nor Y, nor Z is me, it makes me feel bad like I am the kid getting "picked last" in dodgeball. I'm sure I'm not the only grown-ass adult person having grade school flashbacks over this.

But as I mentioned in my last post it's chaotically nebulous to what degree the "picking" has even started so yeah that feeling of being unwanted isn't necessarily fully justified.

Well now, if it would make you feel better, i was about to put your name in my list but two things stopped me
1. I'd have put Eldrich II there but at that moment the joke (all my list is titled "x II") is getting a bit old so i didn't edit the list
2. I put you above my league! Your stories are pretty technical-heavy and while i do enjoyed them (eldrich in fact made me start reading lovecraft), sometimes i got lost in the details. Worried if i can't keep up. I work in simpler settings.
So uh, be more confident i guess. You have GOOD ideas (if any, you have a professional team i think, that should make you like... Qualified in teamwork)
I figured I could be slotted into a team that was lacking a member if one was needed. I've some time on my hands but not as much as I would like, but I'm down to make.

This has gotten *really* tangled up...

Zeigfried I think you should start finalizing and setting things to stone soon enough, before it collapses on its own weight (like what JosephSeraph suggested).
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm starting to think that I'm coming at this with the wrong perspective. Like, maybe I came into this with illusions of grandeur, and ambitious projects that would probably take years to actually make. Except that there's only two weeks of actual dev-time!

So, my train-of-thought has gone to making something short and silly. Outside of that, I want to stay away from attempting Okiku, Star Sequel, as that would probably require the Wand of Blasting mechanics to be more complex whist specifically saying "no" to puzzle-games. There was a thought of doing a game with some kind of pick-up-and-deliver mechanic, but I'm not sure where that train is going.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=Marrend
I'm starting to think that I'm coming at this with the wrong perspective. Like, maybe I came into this with illusions of grandeur, and ambitious projects that would probably take years to actually make. Except that there's only two weeks of actual dev-time!

Honestly, a silly game that "maybe" has a little fun bit is what you should expect from this. It may be two weeks, but unlike most weekend jams, I doubt people will be able to devote their entire day to this project, and I expect the amount of total workhours put into the game won't be more than a weekend jam. I still have to go to my job and everything, right?

The most I've ever gotten done during a full 48 hours of jamming - with five teammates working together IRL, mind you - is a really goofy arcade game about lasers and Scientology. That's the level of excellency I'd expect from this :P The real opportunity here is for all of us to make a cute, dumb game, practice some of our skills, and to maybe make some new friends! Or rivals, if that's what you're into.
unity
You're magical to me.
Are we back on stable ground again for the contest? Ever since this post I've been hesitant to do anything in fear that the parameters of the contest might change. Is it safe to go back to team-recruiting or should I hold off a little longer?

author=slashphoenix
author=Marrend
Honestly, a silly game that "maybe" has a little fun bit is what you should expect from this. It may be two weeks, but unlike most weekend jams, I doubt people will be able to devote their entire day to this project, and I expect the amount of total workhours put into the game won't be more than a weekend jam. I still have to go to my job and everything, right?

The most I've ever gotten done during a full 48 hours of jamming - with five teammates working together IRL, mind you - is a really goofy arcade game about lasers and Scientology. That's the level of excellency I'd expect from this :P The real opportunity here is for all of us to make a cute, dumb game, practice some of our skills, and to maybe make some new friends! Or rivals, if that's what you're into.

Yeah, this! I totally expect a lot of short (and many silly) games from this. I wouldn't go making a sequel or anything, either, as a pre-established universe would mean that the rest of your team would have to fit their ideas into your universe (unless they're all really cool with it :D )
Zeigfried_McBacon
It's fine unity. I think people got the message, and soon here, Ill probably be PMing some people if they don't speak up.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
So, do I understand that we don't have to be afraid of teams being forcibly rearranged or anything? That would be a great relief.

Zeigfried, is there anything any of us can do to help you with the organization and realization of this event?
I'd be really interested in being a part of this but I'm kind of confused as to where to begin and how the whole team picking thing works. Do I post my "application" and then hope someone picks me? Do I have to PM you first? I'M SO CONFUSED!
unity
You're magical to me.
author=blueperiod
I'd be really interested in being a part of this but I'm kind of confused as to where to begin and how the whole team picking thing works. Do I post my "application" and then hope someone picks me? Do I have to PM you first? I'M SO CONFUSED!

From how it's been going, you just post your application to begin. You don't have to just wait to get picked, you can ask others and propose possible teams :D
I would like to see a way, before I commit more will.
I think in the past it was something like:

1. Delegate project leaders (perhaps "representative" would fit better)
2. Show some general project idea/direction
3. Participants choose which team they are interested in

Not saying this would be efficient/good idea for this event, but might help to get it rolling; and perhaps, help the "mercenaries" to find their place.

Also, for point no. 1, I didn't mean they have to be chosen by the organizer, they can come out on their own and pitch their ideas.

Although I just realized that the theme hasn't even been given out.
unity
You're magical to me.
That's a good idea! :D

author=Aethers

Good point. Could we get the theme revealed early, so we can plan our game pitches?
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
author=unity
Good point. Could we get the theme revealed early, so we can plan our game pitches?

That would kind of defeat the point of a jam, wouldn't it? Perhaps it would be better to just say which engine(s) they want to use, and what type/genre of game they would like to make?
Zeigfried_McBacon
author=blueperiod

There's no application. the whole "profile" thing is voluntary and simply serves to give people an idea about you at more or less a glance. If you want in, you can post one of those, or just say "count me in" I guess.
People are picking their own teams. you can ask people if they want to join up or just mention in this thread you wish to join.
PM me if you're having some issue or you want to muck up the thread as little as possible.

author=NeverSilent
So, do I understand that we don't have to be afraid of teams being forcibly rearranged or anything? That would be a great relief.

Zeigfried, is there anything any of us can do to help you with the organization and realization of this event?

At this rate, I don't see it going random. I'll have to send out a mass PM so I know if people are still interested, need a team or would even be willing to be on reserve, should they have apathy in regard to who they team up with.

Wanna help? Join a team, invite someone who hasn't been mentioned much to join,consider being in reserve if you aren't picky and make it well known as I have an idea of whos accounted for and who's not! don't forget the team spreadsheet I have setup: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1opR7ERU-n8F-z5yPHoEtYqnFSh_0zI8NO7g2IJFgRzA/edit#gid=0 (temporary until I sort things out with Kentona).

author=unity
That's a good idea! :D

author=Aethers

Sorry unity, but that would defeat the purpose of a gamejam.