UNITY'S IDEA DEPOT

Pages: first 12 next last
unity
You're magical to me.
These are ideas I have for future game projects. I figured I'd write them down both for myself and for possible future collaborations so I can point to this thread and say "Any of this look interesting?" :D I made a status with some of these but wanted to expand on it.

Vague Placeholder Name: Space Adventure Mecha Game

Setting/Genre: Sci-Fi RPG

This game will center around the crew of a spaceship in a Xenosaga-esce adventure (but with less plot XD) and would be episodic, with each episode featuring a different crew-member as the protagonist. While originally planned to be another romance-heavy game, I may tone down or eliminate that aspect to focus on a game that everyone can enjoy.

Vague Placeholder Name: Choose Your Party!

Setting/Genre: Fantasy RPG

A boiling-down of an idea I had to "remake of Final Fantasy 1 where you can assign personalities to your party members and they now respond to everything in the game and maybe argue with each other," this is a game where you choose a party of three characters, from a pool of five available characters. You choose which character is the leader as well, and this all alters how dialog and interaction goes. The leader also gets a few additional benefits in combat that the character wouldn't get if they were just a normal party member.

(I have started gathering resources and such for this XD as it seems like a short and fun project I can do in the future)

Vague Placeholder Name: Weird Horrific Urban Exploration Game

Setting/Genre: Modern-Day RPG

While this won't be a horror game, this is going to have some horror themes to it, but is going to be more quirky than scary. It's set in the modern day, and is about some higher beings fighting over a town that they've somehow separated from the rest of the world. The higher beings can't do things without a human host, however, and your characters will have to make pacts with some of them to have the power to save the town.

A lot of the town will have been abandoned or destroyed, so a lot of the game will be exploring the urban wasteland, finding pockets of people, and perhaps entering otherworldly dungeons created by the hostile higher beings in order to stop them. I think an Earthbound-ish aesthetic might be fun to contrast the warped and strange way I envision the higher-beings looking like. In that vein, I kinda really want to make the protag a lady with a baseball bat XD

Vague Placeholder Name: Alien World Exploration Game

Growing up, I found the Metroid games for the Nintendo, Game Boy, and Super Nintendo to be really awesome, and the sense of exploration has fascinated me ever since. I've wanted to attempt a game that captures that, but in an RPG format rather than a platforming one.

A portal is found that leads to a vast alien landscape. A team of five is sent in to explore, when a robot probe sent in is destroyed. With a three-party team of a weapons expert, a gadgeteer, and a (maybe psychic) biologist, (with the other two characters being support-NPCs) and a vehicle base where you can return to rest, upgrade equipment, do research, etc, and must find out the truth of the weird alien landscape and the hostile creatures hidden within.

(I've already started some character-building and looking for character art for this idea XD)

Vague Placeholder Name: Magical Girl Game Yay!

I've always loved Sailor Moon and magical girls in general, and making a game based on a team of them seems like it'd be really fun. A team of four would probably be ideal, and I'm thinking their theme would be the seasons, and they'd each get super-powered versions of their costumes, but maintaining that superpowered form would drain MP or otherwise cost them, so it would be a limited power-up.

The story would center around a small town, the girl's daily lives, and how everything gets flipped upside-down when evil arrives and they must become heroes. Hopefully I'll think of something to make all that a little more unique XD

Vague Placeholder Name: Breath of Dragonbreath!

I SO want to make a Breath of Fire game or, more likely, a game that's spiritually a Breath of Fire game, with a diverse set of characters and a really cool story. It's all pretty vague so far in my mind, but it's totally something I want to do. I'd probably also beg Liberty to help me if I ever started this XD

Vague Placeholder Name: Uni Over-focuses on Somewhat Romantic Yuri Again Angel Devil Game

This would center around a realm where angels and demons live, and they only stop all-out war by sending one of each of their warriors to an ancient protected battledome to solve issues by duking it out.

We have an angel lady protagonist and a devil lady protagonist, each growing up learning to hate the other's culture. They must fight in the battledome but during their fight, a catastrophe occurs, orchestrated by a mysterious third power that wipes out both of their civilizations.

They must team up to survive, and must solve the mystery of their world's demise. And maybe they get a little close to each other, despite their differences, over the course of the game :333333

And there you have it. I hope that wasn't too self-indulgent >.<;;

tldr; unity has too many ideas XD;;
Wooo, those ideas are all cool! I'd especially like to work in the
Choose Your Party!, Alien World Exploration Game and in a spiritual sucessor to my beloved BoF! <3

(I'd love to work on a mahou shoujo too but after the trainwreck that is PGSM:Another Story I find it hard to picture just how to create a Mahou Shoujo RPG. I do have a mahou shoujo manga I write like once upon a million years and we could collab on that!!! >.<')

Awesome thread! I think I'll make one inspired by this. I love how collabful this community is becoming. ~ <3
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
The choose your party one would be interesting to work with or even just see in action.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
What about the one where you didn't want to die? I seem to recall that one having an interesting design philosophy. Was not wanting to die just too complex a mechanic to implement?

Seriously though, I like all of them! Are these listen in order of preference? Or were they just put together with no real connection?
unity
You're magical to me.
author=JosephSeraph
Wooo, those ideas are all cool! I'd especially like to work in the
Choose Your Party!, Alien World Exploration Game and in a spiritual sucessor to my beloved BoF! <3

(I'd love to work on a mahou shoujo too but after the trainwreck that is PGSM:Another Story I find it hard to picture just how to create a Mahou Shoujo RPG. I do have a mahou shoujo manga I write like once upon a million years and we could collab on that!!! >.<')

Awesome thread! I think I'll make one inspired by this. I love how collabful this community is becoming. ~ <3

Thanks, Joseph! :DDDD I look forward to seeing yours! ^_^

I'm not familiar with PGSM:Another Story, but I think a mahou shoujo RPG wouldn't be that hard to create. Though to be honest, a manga would be awesome, too XD

author=Zeigfried_McBacon
The choose your party one would be interesting to work with or even just see in action.

I've been putting some resources, maps, and pictures together for it. I may do it as a side project sometime soon ^_^

author=Red_Nova
What about the one where you didn't want to die? I seem to recall that one having an interesting design philosophy. Was not wanting to die just too complex a mechanic to implement?

I got a lot of my arcade-style fun out with Last Minute Gift, so Cute Arcade Game Where You Don't Want to Die almost seems redundant, especially if I'm going to make LMG sequels in the future. XD

author=Red_Nova
Seriously though, I like all of them! Are these listen in order of preference? Or were they just put together with no real connection?

Yay! There not listed in any particular order, I just put them all up there ^_^
RM needs more yuri. I heartily approve of the angel-demon one. >:D
unity
You're magical to me.
author=yuna21
RM needs more yuri. I heartily approve of the angel-demon one. >:D

Hehe, thanks! :D (And I completely agree! MORE YURI! XD) I've also got an RPG Maker XP yuri game in the works called Lilies of Vanigale. ...I should probably put up a gamepage for that sometime :P
Needz moar yuri and moar yaoi too >:^V (we could mix that dogether with a game of our own HAHAHAHAH RMN's rainbowest game)
EDIT: I.
FUCKING.
HATE.
BRAZIL.

unity
You're magical to me.
I made a topic about a game with both yuri and yaoi in it a while back. I think the consensus was that it didn't seem like a popular idea? XD But yaoi is fun too :DDDD
Who cares about popularity though? And guess what, we could make a game that looked perfectly heterosexual at first glance only to wait and deliver an unexpected PUNCH IN DA DICK LOL :D

DON'T ASSOCIATE BRAZIL WITH SOCCER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLS THANKS <3
I'm with the Angel/Devil idea. It's been far too long since I've seen something like that.

author=TungerManU
I like Brazil. They're pretty good at soccer.

author=TungerManU
soccer

author=TungerManU
soccer

*blows up internally*
unity
You're magical to me.
Wow, my most self-indulgent idea, the Angel/Devil one, is getting a lot of support! :DDD That makes me really happy!
For the yuri/yaoi idea - RMN: The Dating Game. The world needs more dating games that let you choose your gender and go after guys or girls if you so desire. :/

That said, Did someone say Breath of Fire~?
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Liberty
For the yuri/yaoi idea - RMN: The Dating Game. The world needs more dating games that let you choose your gender and go after guys or girls if you so desire. :/

I've been thinking on something like that. I'm not certain that I have the writing chops to have a game that consists of just the dating aspect alone, so I was tossing around the idea of a Harvest Moon-like game with a heavy focus on romance in a town of monster boys and girls. You could choose your gender and date anyone you like! :D

author=Liberty
That said, Did someone say Breath of Fire~?

I saw that, and it looks awesome! :D Is it still in production?
...I was actually considering something of the same - a monster Suikoden-type game with sort-of dating aspects. Find and recruit people to your town, build up your relationships with some of them (maybe allow you to pick up to 10, or randomise which ones you can date each playthrough) set in the backdrop of a war between humans and monsters.

As for the Suikoden game... I had a lot of issues ripping the resources. The animations for different parts are all kinds of crazy. Some water has 3 frames, some has 5, some has 7. It's kinda crazy. Then there's the shoreline of the world map which is crazy in and of itself. And flame animations... orz Madness, I don't know what they were thinking!
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Today I Learned: Unity has lots of cool ideas.

I gotta say I'm a fan of threads like this in general. I think RMN needs more "take a penny, leave a penny" trays of game ideas. Quite often I want to mak a gam but don't have a strong idea , or I have an idea I like but know I can't gamify it so I want to gift it to someone who can. Either like everyone should do one of these threads or there should be a big central repository 'island of broken toys' idea thread.

This game will center around the crew of a spaceship in a Xenosaga-esce adventure (but with less plot XD) and would be episodic, with each episode featuring a different crew-member as the protagonist. While originally planned to be another romance-heavy game, I may tone down or eliminate that aspect to focus on a game that everyone can enjoy.

This seems really cool tell me more about it. Less plot than Xenosaga still leaves room for more plot than like ANYTHING ELSE. Do you know anything about the universe it is set in or the technology level? Is there are going to be an overarching story of some kind around the crew's mission (yaaay!) or is it going to be disconnected "planet of the week" episodes a la Star Trek (booo!).

You say Mecha game, will all of the combat in the game be on board mechs? Or are you planning on including personal or (:DDD) starship combat too? I know that broadening it out from mechs is difficult to program but making sure that all combats take place in mech-appropriate arenas and that characters have time to get into and board their mechs seems like it would be tough to write.

Had you thought at all about the resources you wanted to use for this?

A boiling-down of an idea I had to "remake of Final Fantasy 1 where you can assign personalities to your party members and they now respond to everything in the game and maybe argue with each other," this is a game where you choose a party of three characters, from a pool of five available characters. You choose which character is the leader as well, and this all alters how dialog and interaction goes. The leader also gets a few additional benefits in combat that the character wouldn't get if they were just a normal party member.

(I have started gathering resources and such for this XD as it seems like a short and fun project I can do in the future)

The branching options for dialogue based on the characters' personalities and combinations and who's the leader and the glaven and the OY VEY sounds like a fucking nightmare to event/program to me, but if you were handling that I'd love to tackle the mechanical character creation/customization/battle balance side of things. Games where you can choose all of the characters' classes at the beginning are kind of an ongoing obsession of mine (both versions of Mage Duel, Everything Turns Gray, etcetera).

While this won't be a horror game, this is going to have some horror themes to it, but is going to be more quirky than scary. It's set in the modern day, and is about some higher beings fighting over a town that they've somehow separated from the rest of the world. The higher beings can't do things without a human host, however, and your characters will have to make pacts with some of them to have the power to save the town.

A lot of the town will have been abandoned or destroyed, so a lot of the game will be exploring the urban wasteland, finding pockets of people, and perhaps entering otherworldly dungeons created by the hostile higher beings in order to stop them. I think an Earthbound-ish aesthetic might be fun to contrast the warped and strange way I envision the higher-beings looking like. In that vein, I kinda really want to make the protag a lady with a baseball bat XD

This is freaking awesome. It reminds me a little bit of Persona but I've never actually PLAYED a Persona/SMS game so take that with a grain of salt. The higher beings sound like Lovecraft's old ones/outer gods and that fills me with <3s.

I would really like to see it skew more horrific rather than less. Not to the point of being putatively 'in the horror genre', just you know...not soft! Not soft by a mile.

The graphics for this would be REALLY challenging but you know like the one person who could totally do it? SnowOwl. Let's do this. Let's you me and SnowOwl make this game.

Growing up, I found the Metroid games for the Nintendo, Game Boy, and Super Nintendo to be really awesome, and the sense of exploration has fascinated me ever since. I've wanted to attempt a game that captures that, but in an RPG format rather than a platforming one.

A portal is found that leads to a vast alien landscape. A team of five is sent in to explore, when a robot probe sent in is destroyed. With a three-party team of a weapons expert, a gadgeteer, and a (maybe psychic) biologist, (with the other two characters being support-NPCs) and a vehicle base where you can return to rest, upgrade equipment, do research, etc, and must find out the truth of the weird alien landscape and the hostile creatures hidden within.

(I've already started some character-building and looking for character art for this idea XD)

Man, this sounds super awesome too!!!!! I could really dig this. I would love to be on board with something like this just to tinker with the research/crafting system (because the weapons expert, gadgeteer and biologist could all have their own crafting to do and it could interlock in cool ways).

Here's something else cool. This idea could TOTALLY be combined with your first idea Space Adventure Mecha Game or, and this excites me even more, with your second idea Choose Your Party!. We could set up the science fiction equivalent of Final Fantasy I's core character classes from expanding on the concepts you listed and have the players choose their combination of classes--and gender and personality and names and who's the leader--whoa. Three playable characters seems like the right amount for that too.

But even without the combinating and the whatnot this idea is probably my favorite.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Max McGee
Today I Learned: Unity has lots of cool ideas.

Wow, thanks! :DDDDD

author=Max McGee
I gotta say I'm a fan of threads like this in general. I think RMN needs more "take a penny, leave a penny" trays of game ideas. Quite often I want to mak a gam but don't have a strong idea , or I have an idea I like but know I can't gamify it so I want to gift it to someone who can. Either like everyone should do one of these threads or there should be a big central repository 'island of broken toys' idea thread.

Yeah, I totally agree! I can't tell you how many times I've had an idea and needed some story feedback or mechanics feedback to get it to gel together. A thread like that would be great!

author=Max McGee

Setting/Genre: Sci-Fi RPG...
This seems really cool tell me more about it. Less plot than Xenosaga still leaves room for more plot than like ANYTHING ELSE. Do you know anything about the universe it is set in or the technology level? Is there are going to be an overarching story of some kind around the crew's mission (yaaay!) or is it going to be disconnected "planet of the week" episodes a la Star Trek (booo!).

Yeah, it's all meant to be interconnected. The episodic format is to make it into easier-to-release "chunks" but I want there to be a big overarching mission that ties it all together, with the completion of the mission happening on the last episode. Again, I'm not married to the episodic idea, I just haven't done a game like that yet :3

As for the universe, the technology level, etc, it's all pretty nebulous right now. I want the crew to be able to travel around pretty easily (assuming the ship hasn't been heavily damaged) and have space battles, and I'm open to really any tech-level that falls into that category, but I want to have cool stuff in both the mecha and person-to-person fights.

author=Max McGee
You say Mecha game, will all of the combat in the game be on board mechs? Or are you planning on including personal or (:DDD) starship combat too? I know that broadening it out from mechs is difficult to program but making sure that all combats take place in mech-appropriate arenas and that characters have time to get into and board their mechs seems like it would be tough to write.

No, I wanted personal-battles, too. You're docked somewhere and you get attacked while on foot, so you have to go person-to-person sometimes. That would allow characters to use different weapon-types on foot (because there are plenty of cool sci-fi handheld weapons too XD) The mechs don't necessarily have to be strictly mecha, either, as personal ships are a cool idea, too (and would probably be a hell of a lot easier to animate XD) I hadn't thought of starship combat, but it would certainly fit right in, if I could pull it off (maybe some sort of eventing thing?)

author=Max McGee
Had you thought at all about the resources you wanted to use for this?

Yeah, it would be a really big undertaking. I'm not sure if the RPG Maker Web resources for Science Fiction would cover everything I need, so I might need to make some tilesets myself (maybe all of them, but I'm not sure). I'd probably drop some money on getting sprites for the characters and mecha/ships... It's a lot to think about, and I'm just barely in the idea phase, so a lot's up in the air.

author=Max McGee

The branching options for dialogue based on the characters' personalities and combinations and who's the leader and the glaven and the OY VEY sounds like a fucking nightmare to event/program to me, but if you were handling that I'd love to tackle the mechanical character creation/customization/battle balance side of things. Games where you can choose all of the characters' classes at the beginning are kind of an ongoing obsession of mine (both versions of Mage Duel, Everything Turns Gray, etcetera).

I have a good idea about how I'll be handling the dialog, and yes it's not simple and yes it's going to involve a ton of written dialog (and a lot of testing to make sure different combinations are flowing right), but I think it's totally feasible. Having someone else taking on the balancing of the classes would be a godsend, though, and would be tremendously helpful. Though, having said that, I got to the part where you suggested combining this idea with other ideas and my mind got blown over the possibilities. More on that later.

author=Max McGee

This is freaking awesome. It reminds me a little bit of Persona but I've never actually PLAYED a Persona/SMS game so take that with a grain of salt. The higher beings sound like Lovecraft's old ones/outer gods and that fills me with <3s.

There very well could be Persona influence in there, though I'd imagined pacts with the creatures to be a bit more... permanent. Or at least costly. And yes, Lovecraft was a big inspiration for the higher beings, more in design than overall power, as they have to connect with humans to get power, else the game would be over before it starts XD

author=Max McGee
I would really like to see it skew more horrific rather than less. Not to the point of being putatively 'in the horror genre', just you know...not soft! Not soft by a mile.

Haha. I may not seem it, since I love fluffy stuff and cute things, but I have quite the appetite for the grotesque and twisted, especially when used right. (And Lovecraft has been a huge inspiration for me XD) Any 'soft' elements are meant only to contrast the horror. I mean 'non-horror genre' just in the sense that I'm not sure I can make it actively tense-scary, being an RPG.

author=Max McGee
The graphics for this would be REALLY challenging but you know like the one person who could totally do it? SnowOwl. Let's do this. Let's you me and SnowOwl make this game.

Holy shit, I would do this in a second. Totally!!! I think it'd probably take a little longer than a game jam, maybe? (Unless we stuck to a demo?) But that would be super awesome!

author=Max McGee

Setting/Genre: Sci-Fi RPG...
Man, this sounds super awesome too!!!!! I could really dig this. I would love to be on board with something like this just to tinker with the research/crafting system (because the weapons expert, gadgeteer and biologist could all have their own crafting to do and it could interlock in cool ways).

Here's something else cool. This idea could TOTALLY be combined with your first idea Space Adventure Mecha Game or, and this excites me even more, with your second idea Choose Your Party!. We could set up the science fiction equivalent of Final Fantasy I's core character classes from expanding on the concepts you listed and have the players choose their combination of classes--and gender and personality and names and who's the leader--whoa. Three playable characters seems like the right amount for that too.

But even without the combinating and the whatnot this idea is probably my favorite.

And here's where my mind get blown! Combining the Choose Your Party idea with this, having Sci-Fi equivalents to FF1's classes... that's just too awesome! Taking an exploration game and giving it the deep customization of class combinations and the research and tech upgrades... BLAM! AMAZING! :DDDDD OMG OMG OMG AMAZING!

Aaaaah, now I have waaaay too many thing I want to do! But less than before, I guess, because of combining? XD

And holy shit this post got huuuuge!
Pages: first 12 next last