FUTURE CONTEST IDEA

Pages: first 12 next last
unity
You're magical to me.
I remember Liberty talking about taking a newbie under your wing. That plus the upcoming McBacon jam got me thinking: What about a future contest where seasoned game developers are paired with newbies for a short period of time for some game-making? Then, for like a week or two, the two of them could work together and the newbie would probably learn a ton about making games!

If this becomes an event, I think there should be separate badges for newbies and seasoned developers, as I think maybe the seasoned developers should get more makerscore as they'd be taking up a teacher-like role. What does everyone think? Good idea, bad idea?
That way newbies could see how jaded, detached, and flaky I've become!! Great idea!
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Well, the more seasoned developers could just use the McBacon Jam to pair up with less seasoned developers. If they want. I'm sure that'll happen in later McBacon Jam rounds.
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
I wouldn't mind doing something along these lines for a future jam, maybe as a possible special set of rules for a future McBacon Jam. Assuming McBacon Jam goes well enough and you'd like someone to help run or take care of stuff, let me know.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
It's a cool idea, but a potential problem is how to determine who is a "newbie" and who isn't. People sometimes under- or overestimate their own abilities, which could lead to very uncomfortable situations.

Likewise, it would be frustrating for a "mentor" to invest lots of time and energy into helping their "pupil" only to have them disappear and never come back. How would we be able to determine which "newbies" can be trusted to really take the opportunity seriously and which can't?

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea. I just have to admit I have no idea how it could be made to actually work.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
You could probably just make it simple and designate the highest makerscore to the lowest makerscore.
I don't think it would be an issue, honestly. If you're new to the engine (and there are a lot of people that are) then it's quite easy to tell. Hell, we could do a small quiz to check your general knowledge about certain aspects, as well as a small eventing check beforehand (a demonstration of some sort... make a cms or something simple like that).

As for the games to be made, maybe a genre/theme combination. People can stray a bit from it but the main reason for being in the event is to learn about game creation, to teach game creation and to make a small game for experience.

Hell, we could make it so that any stories have to get vetted by the judges. That way something huge wouldn't be put on the table and be unable to be finished and both parties would have to work together to create the story - there wouldn't be unfairness (or as much).

At the end each person writes up what they learned and only after submitting that and the games, gets their MS and badge.

I know, I'm mean. ;p

Sometimes you just have to trust people - it's what I've learned about holding events.

That said, allow an out for anyone who is being taken advantage of.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
A cool event would be if someone wrote a game script, and a team put together a basic engine, then people get to download the basic game, and can map the areas assigned to them. As well as input the script section paired to them.
Then you'd get this cohesive story, varied mapping styles, and judging could be based entirely on execution.

Edit: *game script = dialogue etc.
I'd like to see an event where all users/teams get the same set of resources/music/graphics and have to make a game with that.
I'd like to see an event where all users/teams get the same set of resources/music/graphics and have to make a game with that.
You know, I would love one day to see a return of the Release Something Day events that we used to have on here back then, that or a return of the Game Name Game Event that I actually enjoyed participating in some time back. (That event was pretty fun.)

Hmmm…I guess another idea would be to maybe have an event to get people to make a Gameboy styled game using greystyled-like graphics, music and sound. Whether it be an RPG or not, it doesn’t matter, as long as it looks, feels and plays just like an old Gameboy game. We can call the event, “Game Grey”. :)

@ Link_2112 - You mean like the RTP?
(Damn you, double post. >_>)
I guess the RTP counts. I wouldn't participate in that one haha It would be more interesting to have a really cool looking tileset and charsets
Maybe something like Celianna and Lunarea's Steampunk set or the like. There are assets out there that are for free but the real issue is that more often than not, they aren't complete sets. Thus why the RTP is used so extensively.

I mean, there's the High Fantasy and DS sets but you need to purchase those to use them and I can't see a lot of people deliberately buying sets just to take part in an event.

I was thinking about all the resources from 2k3 era as well. Converted to whatever engine. All engines. By me. Maybe. You know, if it happens.
OR... all Mack~<3
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=Link_2112
I was thinking about all the resources from 2k3 era as well. Converted to whatever engine. All engines. By me. Maybe. You know, if it happens.

If you can actually convert "all of the resources from the 2k3 era" (i.e. various popular rips, theodore, etcetera not the 2k3 fuck that we've already got it) to VX which is also Ace format I mean if that is something you can actually do I am prepared to pay you MONEY DOLLARS for that right now.
Well, I meant that all 2k3 era resources could be potential event resources. In which case I would convert those few. I'm not looking to convert them all heh I don't think even money dollars would convince me to do that.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
How exactly would we be able to distinguish newbies from oldbies?
Pages: first 12 next last