FUTURE CONTEST IDEA

Pages: first prev 12 last
Uh, small eventing check thing before-hand. Or a quiz of some kind. Have it more about experience vs inexperience. Sometimes time in a community != ability in an engine~
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'd say three or more finished games makes you an oldbie, and zero finished games makes you a newbie, regardless of whether those games are on RMN or not.

People with one or two finished games are DISQUALIFIED!
unity
You're magical to me.
That's probably a good rule of thumb, though I also find Liberty's quiz idea to be interesting!

Honestly, I was more going to let people decide which group they were in, which would mean that they either want to teach if they choose Experienced or feel they need to learn if they choose Newbie. As it's been pointed out, though, I suppose that could be exploited...
author=Ratty524
How exactly would we be able to distinguish newbies from oldbies?
post count.

<10,000 is newbie.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=kentona
author=Ratty524
How exactly would we be able to distinguish newbies from oldbies?
post count.

<10,000 is newbie.

POST COUNT
1 kentona: 25072
2 Craze: 9488
3 Liberty: 9447
4 LockeZ: 8944
5 Feldschlacht IV: 8481

So you're the only veteran, eh? Sounds like you're volunteering to take us all under your wing :D Teach us, sensei!
lesson #1: all comments and posts from me are facetious (except for when they are not)
lesson #2: only I may purposefully double-post for comedic effect.
Sounds more like a conspiracy of the oldbiesie to keep the newbietariat post count down! Unite comrades!
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=kentona
lesson #1: all comments and posts from me are facetious (except for when they are not)
lesson #2: only I may purposefully double-post for comedic effect.

So double-posting is the key to becoming an oldbie... *jots notes furiously*
The secret third lesson is to start secret games with hidden profiles and posting lots in them. All posts count, even if nobody can see them! Requires two people minimum. If anybody calls you out say you're doing hard core game making!
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Let me suggest an actual rubric that might work.

If you have been making games for less than one year, you are a newbie.

If you have been making games for more than five years, you are a mentor.

If you are somewhere in between, you are whatever you feel like you are.

And if you are like me or Liberty and have been making games for a time best measured in ACTUAL DECADES, then you are the old man and the RM sea.
i've been making games for MORE THAN ONE ACTUAL DECADE and yet i've only released my first one in 2014. (actually in 2012. but that was shitty. wait carolyne is shitty too and was made in 2 days. dam i haven't actually released a game yet)

I guess i'm an old newbie? A mewbie? Newtor? Ahahahah~

Pages: first prev 12 last