WHAT HAPPENED TO GAMING WORLD?

Pages: first 12 next last
I don't mean to stir anything up (because from what I gather there are things to be stirred up), but I'm genuinely curious what happened.

The only thread I could find about this on these forums was this one: http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/1022/

Which gives me the impression that something bad happened and that a lot of crap was stirred up, but no one in the thread explains what happened. Why is gamingw.net now called Salt World? What happened to the old forums as I knew them back in the day? Is there an archive anywhere of the forum online or does anyone possess an archive personally?

I used to make RPG Maker games and was pretty active in the forums back in the day - but I haven't been active in the community at all for nearly a decade. There are tons of screenshots I've posted, or friends I made (whose old usernames I've mostly forgot), or tutorials I wrote, or threads I thought were interesting and would love to revisit. Is there no way to do so anymore?
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
It got rather... salty.

Also, Wayback machine might help you find SOME GW things, but nowhere near all of them.
IIRC it changed hands and then became Salt World... quite a while ago. About 2007-ish? Yeah, ages ago. It stopped being about games but a few years ago allowed talk of games back on. Or something. I stopped going when it turned to salt.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
As I understand it, by the time it changed into salt world, all the mods and all the active members were people who didn't care about gaming at all any more. It was just a social community, comprised mostly of people who used to enjoy making games.

People would occasionally still show up to talk about games, of course, not realizing that the site hadn't been showcasing any RPG Maker games for years. The regulars were sick of explaining it over and over and telling the newbies to stop posting topics about their games. So they changed the site's name to expel the game-makers once and for all.
Do you know why they decided to blow away all the past posts, and if anyone might have retained a backup (a server admin maybe, I forget who that might have been at the time)?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I dunno for sure, but I would assume they just wanted to distance themselves from all of it?

They're not gonna track down the person who ran the server ten years ago, call him and tell him to hunt down a backup tape, and set up an alternate archive server just because some random guy on the internet (you) shows up and says he feels nostalgic. In fact, they went to a lot of trouble to try to keep you from being able to see those topics. They are actively hostile to the game dev community, and the name change was them going far out of their way to get rid of people like you and discussions like the ones you're looking for once and for all.

If it's just game development discussion you're looking for, check out our old topics maybe, or the ones at rpgmakerweb.com?
I'm not sure why you decided to make assumptions about why I asked if there was a backup. I never asked if it would be possible for them to host an archive server (lets be honest there's a lot about that site which I think many people are glad is no longer online), and I am not interested in these backups purely for nostalgic reasons. With GW gone I lost things that I had made (tutorials, screenshots, articles), and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes they could login to their old account and download the screenshots that they had uploaded, or the posts they made, or the tutorials they've written.

I'm also not under the impression that an old admin from GW would undertake some herculean effort to get this work back to me. But if an administrator from GW did retain a backup and they were interested in sending it to someone it wouldn't take much effort at all to upload a zip file of the backup somewhere and shoot me a link.

But it seems like you're telling me that there are circumstances that I don't understand about why GW shut down and that for some reason the old administrators want to distance themselves from their role in helping people learn about programming and game development, and you're probably right that if there was a backup they probably wouldn't send it to me. But if I can find out how to contact one of the admins from GW I'm going to ask anyway.

In case anyone finds this thread looking for some of this stuff, I just found this archive of a few of the tutorials and articles:

http://leafo.net/gwtemp/
The forum also contains an archived forum (you have to log in to see it) with all (or most, EDIT: Some) of the old posts. http://saltworld.net/forums/forum/101-forum-archives-2005-2012/

I think the GW "locker" contents are lost forever though. Back when it originally changed there was a topic where members could request the stuff they've uploaded but I doubt that the stuff is around anymore.
Thanks, Shinan! This is very helpful.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
The reason behind 'salt world' as a name is pretty random, I'm told. If there ever was or is an inside joke (very probably with those guys) it is lost to me. I was told they were tossing alt names and then salt cropped up. Who knows.
Mysterious and dubious...

Kinda sad though. The guys basically took away the diversity this site offers in terms of content and then shit on you if try anything beyond squabbling about political views.
(I've tried numerous times, fruitlessly, to run community events there... But there is no community.)
Very sad face. I really miss a lot of GWers.
LockeZ
@loque: Well a backup of the server would contain all kinds of sensitive data that they would never give out to anyone, so that's actually a hundred times crazier than what I was assuming you'd be asking for. I mean let's face it, from their point of view, they have to assume you're probably a hacker, and even if you're not, a hacker will certainly eventually see their code if they start releasing it publicly.

Also, any screenshots will obviously be long gone, because your posts ten years ago were merely linking to them, they weren't hosted on that website. Right? They're probably hosted on your old Geocities site, or the 2004 equivalent of Imagebucket.

There aren't really circumstances you don't understand. The only circumstance is that you're entitled to nothing and they are sick of dancing for your amusement. The people there went to a hell of a lot of trouble to get people like you to leave them alone, and although I disagree with their stance, it does seem pretty rude to keep bothering them about it half a decade later.

@Dudesoft: I was told it was named Salt World to mock all the people getting salty about the fact that the site had banned game-design-related content. Either that, or because drinking those people's salty tears had basically become the active members' sole joy in life. Either way works.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
That is the best explanation yet.
I'm just glad it's name includes World, so I can actively poke at it as a dead planet with few surviving habitants, within the RMNverse lore.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
drule killed my childhood
LockeZ - you raise a good point about security concerns, but it would still be more simple to censor the sensitive data in the backup than for them to set up and pay for an archive server (email addresses, passwords, user IP, and PMs are they only bits of sensitive data I can think of that wouldn't have been available to the public when the site was online anyway, and censoring a few tables and rows in a database backup really isn't that hard).

author=LockeZ
There aren't really circumstances you don't understand.

Ummm, how about:

author=LockeZ
The people there went to a hell of a lot of trouble to get people like you to leave them alone.

Or:

author=LockeZ
they are actively hostile to the game dev community,

That seems like a couple of important circumstances that I didn't really understand before I made this thread. Of course they're not going to help me if the whole reason GW stopped existing was because they were trying to get rid of "people like me." But you act like I should have already known this before I started a thread asking for information about it.

I'm also curious how you get the impression that I feel entitled to anything from them. Perhaps I naively assumed that there was a corner of the internet where a forum admin could be interested in, I don't know, helping someone - not because that user should be entitled to anything but because maybe the admin wants to be helpful. I really don't see how it's entitlement to ask someone if they would do you a favor.

If what I was looking for was the unnecessary hostility that I remember from GW then I would thank you for helping me find it.
LockeZ
No I wasn't saying you should have understood it already. I thought you were saying you still don't understand it, since you used the present tense when you said "there are circumstances I don't understand."

I mean anyway, feel free to ask them, but all they're going to do is ban you, mock you, and cuss you out, not necessarily in that order. I don't feel like that would be a pleasant experience for you or for them, so I was trying to get you to stay away.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
man it's cool that people are still talking about this

author=LockeZ
@Dudesoft: I was told it was named Salt World to mock all the people getting salty about the fact that the site had banned game-design-related content. Either that, or because drinking those people's salty tears had basically become the active members' sole joy in life. Either way works.

the name is from a joke image member 'gz' made in 2008 during a discussion of how the new site main site's front page should look . he made an absurd humor style mockup of a front page where every article was inexplicably related to salt

whoops i mean everyone from gw is evil and does every conceivable thing in life to gorge their black hearts on suffering and malice

LockeZ
My explanation is better and you know it
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
bart stopped caring about the site bc he got a life/laid and other people tried to keep the site going and it died. shifting priorities from rm to indie was a trivial part in the place dying.

it's best t o disregard anything lockez says.

Is there no way to do so anymore?

drule had all of the data history and it was eventually purged. sorry its all gone bro. keep da memories alive in ur hrt.
LockeZ - I see, no I used it in the present tense because I did not understand (and still don't) the circumstances behind why GW closed. You tell me it's because they disliked the G&D community, but I still don't understand why they do, or how that all went down, or if there perhaps were a few admins who were sympathetic to G&Ders and some who weren't, for example, so I couldn't really make an informed decision about whether or not contacting an admin would get me anywhere. And to be honest I still can't make that informed decision. I'm starting to remember how hostile of a place GW was and it's not hard for me to believe you about how a former GW admin might respond to me, but to be honest I really don't care if a former GW mod wants to make fun of me for asking for old resources or if they ban me from a community I probably don't want to be a part of anyway.
Pages: first 12 next last