SO SUNLESS SEA IS OUT.

Pages: 1
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
After months of playing a pretty damn kickass early access version of Sunless Sea, I was pretty stoked to realise the other day that it had actually been released. Cue me rapidly installing it on Steam on my laptop so I could play the finished product.

For those who don't know, Sunless Sea is a roguelike-like with the same setting as Fallen London (formerly Echo Bazaar), a browser-based game with several thousand lines of really well-written Lovecraftian dialogue. The basic premise is that bats stole London. No, seriously. London and the surrounding land has been sucked down into the bowels of the earth, into the Neath, and most landmasses are now drops in a literal ocean called the Unterzee. You play as a zee-captain, a man (or woman) who has given up the life they knew and answered the siren call of the zee, exploring where no one else dares in search of interesting stories and forbidden treasures.

Gameplay largely consists of sailing your ship through the Unterzee, visiting the various ports and islands you encounter on the way. At first you'll be limited to short voyages before you return to Fallen London to stock up on fuel and supplies; after a long, long, long, long time you may have enough Echoes (the local currency) to buy a slightly better ship or upgraded weapons, but the meat and potatoes of the game is in the narrative. There isn't a set storyline to Sunless Sea per se, so much as a large number of events dotted around that you can encounter in any order, some of which have choices which will change the way they play out.

By default, the game has permadeath; you get one autosave and if you die, that's it. You do get a small respite in that you have a number of legacy options to give your successor either half of one of your stats/money, the map you'd completed until that point, an officer you'd recruited, one of your weapons etc. Sustained play may result in finding some more permanent legacy items.

So far I've logged about 18 hours in this game, and I've only scratched the surface of what it has to offer. I have not yet had to play messenger to the conflict between the rats and the cavies on Pigmote Isle, nor have I recruited the Imaginary Officer. I'm looking forward to getting there, though.

Anyone else played this or have any commentary on it? If you're into roguelikes I'd highly recommend it, though Sunless Sea isn't quite a roguelike in the traditional sense.

In other news, Prison Architect is coming out of alpha this year. :D
I saw it and decided against adding it to my wishlist because I figured it was a shipping sim or some sort, but from what you've written, I might give it another look.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar

It looks pretty interesting. As with anything on Steam, I'll get it when it's half off or more.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
This sounds fascinating. I do loves me the roguelikes.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Well, it's more a roguelike-like, as the OP said. It's not even a roguelite; the map is 100% static (although pirate/crab/etc. encounters are a bit random). TB explains it pretty well in his video. There's still plenty of risk/reward.
Trihan
The map isn't 100% static; further out to sea the placement of the islands is randomised a bit between captains unless you chose the legacy for keeping the previous captain's chart.
I have actually been playing it since... the Emerald beta? Back when it had a totally different battle system (I think it was spring-summer last year). I have managed to keep my save from then, so now I can play the game how it would be if there was no map shuffling! (Also, I get to cheat and have a Cargo Ship with three guns on it because I added them before that was taken away). I will have to play a 'clean' game sooner or later though.

Also, everyone, merciful mode is your friend.
And you don't even have to play as a 'man or woman' necessarily. Instead of choosing a gender you just choose a title and then an avatar and "Captain" or "Citizen" are perfectly acceptable options.

I also know some of the people who have characters based on them/their fallen london OCs in the game.
Can you go to Subterranean Haringey Green Lanes?
Trihan
No. But you can smuggle sunlight into London.
Pages: 1