NEED SOME FEEDBACK BEFORE I GO TO MASS-PRODUCTION

Pages: 1
Hiya!

I just wanted some feedback on a little something I made before I go ahead and mass-produce stuff like these. Basically, I'm trying to digitize my sketches so I can use them on games and the like. I'm pretty sure I could not have done this correctly on my first try so...

Here:
http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/46909/locker/20140913_180816.jpg
http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/46909/locker/GirlSketch.png

Oh, please don't mind its being off-proportion and all. Believe me, I'm working on improving that.
Also, I'm using paint with a mouse, so the lines are a bit jittery. I'm working on that too.

Thanks!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I have no actual artistic advice, just technical advice.

Step 1 is don't use MS Paint with a mouse. I don't know what you think 'digitizing your sketches' means but I feel pretty sure that attempting to redraw a similar picture in MS Paint does not qualify as that.

You're going to need either a scanner or a drawing tablet, and then you're going to need Photoshop, and then you're going to need more help. There are about twenty more steps before it's ready to use in a game, but none of them are things you can actually do in MS Paint.
It's absolutely possible to create quality work in MS Paint and with a mouse, and I'm pretty certain what Karins has done qualifies as digitizing a sketch...

The digital drawing is okay; because the lines are consistently wobbly it looks a little more like a stylistic choice XD It's cute, though I'm not sure about the giant white eyes (unless she's a ghost or something?).

If you're willing to draw all your own art for your games, then I think that is pretty cool.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
No, that's literally not a sketch. It's just a mouse-drawing that looks kind of like a sketch. Digitizing a sketch means taking your actual sketch and using a computer to turn it into a digital file. Like with a scanner, or by sketching it on a drawing tablet.

While it's theoretically possible for someone to do quality art in MS Paint with a mouse, it's obviously not possible for karins_soulkeeper to do quality art in MS Paint with a mouse. And art being "quality" isn't the same as being usable in RPG Maker. Get Photoshop or Gimp. Even the old free version of Photoshop is still better than Gimp IMO.

Don't tell her that her bad quality looks like a stylistic choice; it doesn't, it just looks like bad quality. Saying that is both an outright lie and an insult to every other artist on this forum who actually has a style and makes it look good, and that's not something I'll tolerate. And it's something that could be solved so easily, since it has nothing to do with her talents, only with her tools.

Being willing to do stuff yourself doesn't mean you should. Wait until you're able to at least make something better than the RTP, because right now you'd just be spending a lot of extra effort to make your game worse.
Because karins' second drawing is a copy of a drawing on paper into a computer program, I would still classify it as such because it is roughly the same result - just a more indirect way. It's the same concept, but a different image. It is not exactly what you're saying, no. I am more lax in my definition, apparently. And you sketch (which is to make a rough drawing) with a mouse the same way you'd sketch with a tablet/pencil/charcoal/whatever; it's a different medium, but you're still sketching.

I didn't definitively say he had a style, or even a good style, so I wouldn't get offended on behalf of all the other artists (of which I am one) in the forum. I genuinely don't think either drawings are bad. Having a different opinion to you does not equal being a liar.

It was not my intention to encourage karins_soulkeeper to be complacent or lazy. I didn't actually say any contrary thing to you suggesting he get a scanner and a better art program as I don't disagree that those are wise ideas.
LockeZ
Well, sorry if I came off as an asshole. It only sounded like that because I really am an asshole.

The actual sketch is great though and I think an RPG Maker game using karin's art as the enemies and characters would work great if she got the right tools and converted it properly. Her actual sketching ability is way better than her mouse-drawing ability so regardless of semantics it seems a waste not to figure out a way to scan and color the actual sketches.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Reminds me of Dr. Katz...
Go with it!
Thanks for the comments guys, and sorry if it took quite a while for me to reply.
I agree that the mouse sketch is far too sloppy. I'm saving up for a tablet right now, but I don't think I'll have it anytime soon. Until then, I'll put this on hold.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
I really like it. I even like the wobbly lines. It makes it look more creepy. Although if you could find a way to remove the "jagged" edges on the curvy lines, you could have a unique art style going on there.

I especially love the way you've done solid shading. Honestly, with a lot of artists using the same techniques to look similar, you've managed to create something different and I'd say... go with it. She is extremely cute. And I love the big white eyes.
My advice: Don't save for an expensive pentablet. Just buy a cheap model. My Intuos Pen&Touch Small only cost $100.
LockeZ
The scanner at Kinkos costs like a dollar to use.
CashmereCat
What in the world is a Kinkos
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
While a tablet will help you in the long run, if line smoothness is a problem, get GIMP (it's free) and use the Smooth Stroke or Line Tool functions. Problem solved. That's what I use in all my stuff.

Here, I took your drawing and just Line Tool'd it over in less than 15 minutes. That's without me smoothing out certain lines.

You could do loads better than that if you took more time to position the lines right.
CashmereCat
Whoa. That is cool. That looks really, really good.
@Cash> Thanks! I used solid shading because it is what I am more used to (and it is way easier to do, admittedly). The eyes though, is a result of me not knowing what I am supposed to do ;p

@Avee> Actually, I found one that's worth Php2000 (which should be around $50). It seems decent enough to do the job.

@LockeZ> I'll ask the same question as Cash: What's a Kinkos? A shop of sorts?

@Red> I have gimp, but I find it a bit unwieldy to use (must be all of those floating menus and stuff). Though seeing what you just did (which is awesome, by the way), I guess I'll go and practice on it.
Pages: 1