WHAT RECENTLY HAPPENED AT MY SCHOOL...

Pages: first 123 next last
Hey there! I just wanted to share a little story that most of you won't care about but maybe other people have had similar experiences? It was pretty big for me considering I've never went through an experience like this before, and I'm sure a lot of you are just gonna say: "Not that big, high school kids are just stupid".

So last week on Tuesday (yes literally last week) I was sitting in my 6th period french class. Then all of a sudden, one of the English teachers knocked on her door to talk with Mademoiselle (that's what everyone calls the French teacher) privately. Then after their small conversation, Mademoiselle said to all of us urgently "Ok, we're going, leave your stuff here" as she swiftly put her coat on. At the time it was just extremely confusing. Why are we just randomly leaving and to where are we leaving? To another room? No. Outside of the school completely. And as we walked out of the school, I noticed that other classes were also leaving. And then we all went to this small building outside of the football stadium, which included locker rooms and concession stands. After 15 minutes of people being organized, the entire student body was jam-packed into this small building. Then the intercom came on, in which I was surprised there was even an intercom in this small building. "Attention students. We have received word of a bomb threat in the school. We appreciate your cooperation in the evacuation process. Please continue to remain calm." And just like that, rumors spread like wildfire. After sitting in the claustrophobic, freezing building for two long hours, they finally announced that buses were coming to take us home early, and we did so without complaint.

And then Wednesday rolled around. School was still in session just as always and I walked in, acting like it was any other normal day, aside from the difference that there were tons of state policemen there. And then, during my 4th period Precalculus class, a teacher knocked on the door, had a whisper conversation with the math teacher, and she told us that we were evacuating again. Once again, we all set out for that small building where we sat jam-packed for two hours until they called us back to the school where we continued through the day. At the end of the day, they said on the announcements: "Attention students. We have received word of a second threat, written in a girls bathroom wall indicating a gun threat. And on that mysterious note, we were dismissed.

Then Thursday came just like Wednesday did, Surprisingly, nothing happened at school, except for strong rumors of a third gun threat that said something about the next next day, Friday the 13th, and for some reason, the student body decided that something would happen the next day. There was no evacuation that day. It went on like normal.

Because of these strong rumors, Friday came, and guess what the attendance rate of the school that day was: 0%. Yes, there were no students who came that day, just because of rumors, and I was one of them. We were all sitting at home, just because we thought there would be a shooting.

And guess what; the girl (it was a girl) who wrote these threats came to school armed with a pistol and prepared to shoot some people. Luckily, she was just a stupid teenage girl, and the police apprehended her. When we returned to school today (we had monday off), they announced this to us and told us that the girl who caused all of this ridiculous yet scary panic was taken care of...

So yeah, that's pretty much all of it. It's pretty scary knowing that the school could've exploded while we were sitting in 6th period French listening to Mademoiselle talk about more verb tenses.

What do you think?
I think that's a bit of a random thing to share with RMN. Though, the school suna and I go to had a pretty similar experience save for the ending being that it was nothing but a false threat. And we weren't evacuated into a small building? I don't quite get how that small building would have kept you safe from a bomb but ehhh.

The day of the gun threat in our school there was extremely low attendance, though I went. It was pretty chill actually. There was a similar incident in our school with a sickness that I don't believe really existed. People were freaking out and passing out in this one room because they all thought they were catching something. Later on, a lot of people believed that they were getting the same thing, but mass hysteria was probably the more likely cause since they were all fine when they were checked out.

All of these stories had mass hysteria involved in them, though I'm awfully glad that in your case you didn't go to school since your gun threat was actually legitimate!
I've never had something like this happen before (like, literally, never. Perks of living in Australian Rural areas, I guess).

The only time people stayed home from school based on rumours was someone actually making up some false papers to take home and inform parents of a day off school - most people didn't even know it was fake as they were handed out in the pre-class assembly after the home-room teacher left. Even some of the teachers were tricked by it. After that event the school started using formal letterheads instead of just sheets of paper (we were pretty laid back).

I don't think I even know a person who owns a gun who isn't a farmer... (Gun laws do work. I mean, you can get a gun if you really, really look for one but it's hard enough and you need the right connections in the underworld - most people would probably just use a knife instead. Ups the chances of getting away just a tad, I'd say.)

I can't imagine how terrifying and confusing it must have been, though. I'll bet it'll take a while for the school to calm down back to normal - people are probably going to be a bit skittish for a while. It's sad that things like this happen - sad for the kids who fear for their lives and sad for the messed up kids who do these kinds of things.

Anyway, good luck was definitely with you in this one! ^.^)b
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Makes you wonder whatever happened to that girl to make her believe she needed to shoot up her school...

The only evacuation we ever had in middle/high school that wasn't a planned fire drill was some kid pressing the fire alarm just for lolz.

I don't want to turn this into a debate about gun laws, but I do agree with Liberty they help avoid situations like these.
I don't even want to tally up the number of fake bomb threats I got while in 10th grade ( circa 2003 ). The pranksters ( one of them was my 2nd cousin, go figure ) were eventually caught out because the bomb threat happened at the same period ( Geography ) and normally on the same day. ><
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
The bomb threat things were clearly empty threats, but the fact that she showed up one day with a gun is terrifying. Had anyone showed up, it might've been the next Columbine/Virgina Tech. Fortunately, the crazy girl had the brains to warn everyone that some shit was about to go down before bringing the gun to school; you don't always get that kind of insider information. Saved as many lives as she threatened.
Wow that's freaky. Nothing like that has ever happened to me (benefits of growing up in rural Saskatchewan I guess. I don't think I even know a person who owns a gun who isn't a farmer.)

At my son's school 2 weeks ago there was reports of a man in a car offering to drive kids home. The 12 year old boy he asked got scared, ran up to a stranger's house and they called the police. The creep in the car left before then of course.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
@Kentona: PLOT TWISTER - the guy in the car was a federal agent trying to warn the boy not to get near that house, as the people who live there are serial pedocannibals.

@Icy: EVERYONE stayed home? The fuck? There's no way that anywhere close to the entire school had even heard the rumors, even if there were a widespread rumor it would take months for the "whole school" to learn the story, lots of kids don't talk to many people and some were absent the first day.

I also find it hard to believe that your entire school is filled with 100% cowards. When I was in high school, I was taking martial arts lessons and was pretty full of myself, so I'm positive I would have gone to school that day just to make sure I could protect the other people who went. Also, I know a lot of kids who would have gone just because they couldn't afford another absence, or because their grades were more important to them than a flimsy rumor.

Basically I'm calling bullshit on this story based on that detail.
author=LockeZ
@Kentona: PLOT TWISTER - the guy in the car was a federal agent trying to warn the boy not to get near that house, as the people who live there are serial pedocannibals.

@Icy: EVERYONE stayed home? The fuck? There's no way that anywhere close to the entire school had even heard the rumors, even if there were a widespread rumor it would take months for the "whole school" to learn the story, lots of kids don't talk to many people and some were absent the first day.

I also find it hard to believe that your entire school is filled with 100% cowards. When I was in high school, I was taking martial arts lessons and was pretty full of myself, so I'm positive I would have gone to school that day just to make sure I could protect the other people who went. Also, I know a lot of kids who would have gone just because they couldn't afford another absence, or because their grades were more important to them than a flimsy rumor.

Basically I'm calling bullshit on this story based on that detail.

I read that last sentence first and immediately ignored your entire post. Oh well...
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Very intelligent rebuttal, my argument has been completely shredded.

My realistic attendance prediction based on what would have happened at my own high school:

0.25% of students: Were absent the previous two days and didn't know not to go to school.
0.5% of students: Spend their school time too stoned to fully understand the situation.
1% of students: Mentally handicapped and unable to decide not to go to school.
3% of students: Worried about their grades and scholarships, and unwilling to risk skipping class on the basis of a rumor.
4% of students: Tough guys who are pretty sure they could take down a gunner.
5% of students: Don't really think it's a good idea to go to school, but are not morning people, and don't remember that they were planning to stay home until after they're already on the bus.
5% of students: Convinced that everyone's talking about Call of Duty.
10% of students: Forced by their parents to go to school anyway, because their parents are sure they're making stories up to get out of going to school.
20% of students: Don't really put much stock in the rumor.
40% of students: Aren't friends with anyone who heard the rumor.

Some of those groups are gonna overlap with each-other, but my guess would be that at least half the students would still show up.
author=LockeZ
Very intelligent rebuttal, my argument has been completely shredded.

I can see why it'd be hard to believe but you know human beings are pretty strange.

I guess my connotation made it seem more "dramatic" than it actually was, especially since I'm telling it from my point of vieW instead of telling it from a point of fact and logic.
author=LockeZ

I'm sure even the high school version of yourself must have known that your assuredly mad savage kung fu skills wouldn't do jack shit against a crazy student with a gun.

It's not about cowards, it's about concerned parents being safe. I'm against super paranoid shelter parents as much as anyone, but who can blame people for keeping their kids home on a Friday after a week of consecutive bomb/gun threats? Cowards? Seriously?
LockeZ
I think the idea that absolutely no one showed up at all was probably just another rumor. I'm not saying you're lying, but you put faith in a random thing you heard from someone and you're sharing it as a fact. The story's been embellished heavily by someone.

It's both completely against human nature and statistically extremely improbable for no one to show up at all except for the one girl who had a gun. High school students are very cliquish and a rumor could never really spread to 100% of the student body in a matter of hours. Some people's fight-or-flight mechanism will turn the other way, but far more will simply show up in class due to ignorance, lack of faith in the rumors, or questionable priorities.

Also, I mean, more importantly, she would have been the only one on her school bus, the only one in the halls, the only one in the entire building except for some teachers; she wouldn't have pulled the gun out and started pointing it around at that point. She'd assume that school was cancelled, and go home, bringing the gun the next day instead.

@Feldschlacht: I'm certainly not saying I was prone to making wise choices. But I think disarming someone with no gun training is certainly possible, and I probably would've gone and tried. I mean, it would be worth trying, right? There would be other students in the classrooms, and I would certainly have a better chance than most of them.

I also was a fucking weeaboo ninja wannabe who owned a set of shurikens, so there's that.
Not much to say. By your story, the girl wasn't acting intelligently to actually hurt anyone. But then maybe that's just it: her goal wasn't really to hurt people, it was to cry out in desperation. We must ask ourselves why so many youths in our supposedly advanced society feel so out of place, so desperate to express themselves, so mentally depraved that they decide to do the most shocking, hurtful, awful thing they can think of despite the consequences.

And Liberty, gun laws in Australia are vastly more restrictive than in the USA. In America, it's pretty easy to find a gun store on the internet and get one for pretty much any reason as long as you pass a criminal background check. But you don't even have to pass a background check if you buy your gun at a gun show, which is basically a well advertised convention primarily for the viewing and sale of rare or unusual guns that might be hard to find in stores - not that those are the only guns for sale there.
I'm not disagreeing about the probability of nobody showing up (I think that's weird too, but I guess it's possible????), I'm just taking note at your '100% cowards' statement, which is silly.
author=LockeZ
I think the idea that absolutely no one showed up at all was probably just another rumor. I'm not saying you're lying, but you put faith in a random thing you heard from someone and you're sharing it as a fact. The story's been embellished heavily by someone.

It's both completely against human nature and statistically extremely improbable for no one to show up at all except for the one girl who had a gun. High school students are very cliquish and a rumor could never really spread to 100% of the student body in a matter of hours. Some people's fight-or-flight mechanism will turn the other way, but far more will simply show up in class due to ignorance, lack of faith in the rumors, or questionable priorities.

Also, I mean, more importantly, she would have been the only one on her school bus, the only one in the halls, the only one in the entire building except for some teachers; she wouldn't have pulled the gun out and started pointing it around at that point. She'd assume that school was cancelled, and go home, bringing the gun the next day instead.

With all due respect, despite everything in your argument, I know what I saw. If you find it hard to believe, then don't believe it. And with that, I ask us not to continue this argument, though I do appreciate your point of view.

This thread is meant to talk about what happened, not what didn't happen... if you want to talk about what didn't happen, then make your own thread talking about it, it doesn't belong here. :)

Though, Im sure we can learn from this, true or not, that there really is no such thing as a truly safe place in this world.
author=mu
And Liberty, gun laws in Australia are vastly more restrictive than in the USA. In America, it's pretty easy to find a gun store on the internet and get one for pretty much any reason as long as you pass a criminal background check. But you don't even have to pass a background check if you buy your gun at a gun show, which is basically a well advertised convention primarily for the viewing and sale of rare or unusual guns that might be hard to find in stores - not that those are the only guns for sale there.

The main issue with gun laws in America is that the genie is already out of the bottle; guns have been free for citizens to wield for our entire history, today you're looking at a population of over 300 million people, spread out over an continent, coast to coast. Imagine how many guns there are. If you think that a shiton of laws are going to magically unmake the millions upon millions of firearms spread out over the USA, you're kidding yourself.

Should there be laws and restrictions? Of course. You shouldn't be able to pick up a gun at a corner store. However the logistics alone make banning guns unrealistic at best.

I really think it's our cultural mindset that's the root of our issues with this thing. It's not as if we're the only country that bears arms; Switzerland allows citizens to bear arms as well, and they're fine.
LockeZ
OK, yeah, calling people cowards for not showing up is too much. To rephrase, I would expect more people to have wanted to play hero.

What school do you go to, Icy?
This story seems very unlikely on several points, even ignoring the part where nobody showed up. Teenagers may be dumb, but I doubt someone would be dumb enough to show up to school with a gun after several days of threats, plus having also seen that there were police at school.

Her behavious is very strange. Who writes these threats several days in a row and actually tries to go through with it after seeing the police at school?

I guess it's possible that SOMETHING happened, but your version of the story seem to be mostly based on rumours.
Surely a event this big must have at least went into the local newspaper?

author=IcyJK913
Though, Im sure we can learn from this, true or not, that there really is no such thing as a truly safe place in this world.

Most people that ever left their house probably know this already.
author=SnowOwl
This story seems very unlikely on several points, even ignoring the part where nobody showed up. Teenagers may be dumb, but I doubt someone would be dumb enough to show up to school with a gun after several days of threats, plus having also seen that there were police at school.

Her behavious is very strange. Who writes these threats several days in a row and actually tries to go through with it after seeing the police at school?

I guess it's possible that SOMETHING happened, but your version of the story seem to be mostly based on rumours.

author=IcyJK913

author=SnowOwl

author=IcyJK913

Same to you that said to LockeZ. Don't believe it? Then don't say anything. But I know what I saw.
Pages: first 123 next last