POSSIBLE SILLY QUESTION!

Pages: 1
I won't dive into a something long to explain this. XD

Basically, how would you grant a group of magical girls/boys/heroes their powers so they can fight evil?

I may or maybe be using a possible suggestions listed here for something. :P

Thanks!
SLIT THEIR THROATS AND LIGHT THEIR BODIES ON FIRE, FREEING THEM FROM THEIR EARTHY BODIES AND ALLOWING THEIR BLOOD AND ASHES TO REFORM AND AWAKEN AS THEIR TRUE MAGICAL BEINGS.

O_O

Or if that's not an option, put them through trials where at the end of each trial, a fraction of a rune is magically tattooed to them until the trials and rune's are complete I guess lol.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Pee on them, so that the acidic content of my urine will melt away their human flesh and reform them as magical gods.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
In one of my games there's a randomized raid event. One character is randomly chosen to be the hero. When performing the finishing blow on the boss, he or she announces where the technique was learned from before shouting its name and using it. Here are the possible sources:

"from my father",
"from my sergeant",
"from my old master",
"from a thousand year old scroll",
"from a mystical tablet",
"by focusing on what's important",
"by following the way of justice",
"by having a puzzling flashback",
"from a couple of wise old monks",
"from a mystical book",
"from a little guy which appeared out of a magical book",
"from my sensei",
"from a group of wise old sages",
"from deep within my own heart, that I think somehow I've always known"
"by activating an arcane orb",
"by practice, vitamins and prayer",
"just now while you weren't looking",
"from a weird old man who told me to paint his fence",
"after sniffing too much glue",
"because it's the final battle of this story",
"because of some weird plot device",
"after whining at my GM",
"after entering a cheat code",
"off the internet",

The name of the technique is also randomized, and is pretty fantastic in its own right.

It uses one of these adjectives:

"SILENT",
"HOLY",
"HYPER",
"ULTRA",
"ETHICAL",
"FINAL",
"ULTIMATE",
"DANCING",
"TRUE",
"DIVINE",
"REVISED",
"HOWLING",
"REPEATING",
"TEMPORAL",
"BLOODY",
"COSMIC",
"RISING",
"RAGING",
"SUPREME",
"APOCALYPTIC",
"ELEGANT",
"DEADLY",
"SHINING",
"INFINITE",
"RADIANT",
"HYPERBOLIC",
"FANTASTIC",
"OVERPOWERED",
"FOCUSED",
"WHITE",
"BLACK",
"SILVER",
"GOLDEN"

...followed by one of these names:

"DRAGON",
"VALKYRIE",
"BURNING",
"REALITY",
"TWILIGHT",
"DAWN",
"SHATTERING",
"SONIC",
"RAINBOW",
"CRISIS",
"ALPHA",
"OMEGA",
"MOON",
"STARLIGHT",
"CRESCENT",
"RIBBON",
"X",
"Z",
"ZERO",
"TRIANGLE",
"POINTY",
"REAVER",
"OMNI",
"DEMON",
"DIMENSION",
"DRILL",
"GODDESS",
"JUSTICE",
"JUDGEMENT",
"ANGEL",
"HEAVEN'S",
"GENOCIDE",
"COMET",
"KI"

...followed finally by one of these types:

"BLASTER",
"CUT",
"SONG",
"FLAMES",
"CLIMAX",
"FINALE",
"SLASH",
"SMASH",
"THRUST",
"IMPALE",
"CLEAVER",
"DESTROYER",
"DIVIDER",
"BREAKER",
"WAVE",
"SWORD",
"STORM",
"FORCE",
"ASSAULT",
"ATTACK",
"RAIN",
"STAB",
"SHOT",
"BOLT",
"TORNADO",
"WHIRLWIND",
"COMBO",
"BLADE",
"SLAYER",
"CROSSFIRE",
"TAKEDOWN",
"FIST"

The final presentation is something like:

With new energy, LockeZ pushes forward forcing his way through the dark energy.
Fear shows clearly on Thorn's face now as he screams, "NO! STAY AWAY!" LockeZ jumps at Thorn screaming, "The technique I learned through vitamins, practice and prayer:
OVERPOWERED RIBBON FIST!!!!!!

As LockeZ's Sword of Reclaimed Light and Thorn's Unholy Avenger meet, an explosion of holy powers rocks the plain. Thorn gasps in disbelief as his sword shatters and he looks down at the gaping hole in his torso. Thorn screams, "I cannot believe a mere mortal defeated me. NOOOOOOOOAAAAaaargh!" LockeZ is thrown back by the force as Thorn's body ruptures and turns to dust. You have won the final battle between light and darkness!
The trial and tattoo things sounds cool! Though I'm not sure why'd someone would willingly go through them to have to put their life in danger?

The pee idea... Magical piss... XD

That long list might be useful!
Perhaps they didn't want to go through the trial and were forced into it. Perhaps it's a trial of adulthood that their village enforces. Perhaps they were just looking for food/shelter and found the trial cave.

There are so many ways to gain powers, and the details are what makes it different to any other way. Let's see a few from popular games.
Suikoden, for example, has 'god' runes that attach to a body and make that person immortal, as well as hunted by various people. In Suikoden 1, the rune was given to you by your best friend on his deathbed who had been hiding it for hundreds of years.
In Suikoden II, you stumble apon it in the ruins of a destroyed village. It had been kept in a shrine and protected by one of the now-dead villagers.
In Suikoden III, there are five of them. The main plot one was locked away by the wife of the last bearer and you have to prove yourself to it by defeating it's avatar. Another is held by the father of one of the characters and he passes it on as he is dying. Another has been in the hands of a certain character for over 70 years. Yet another was added to a manufactured being (and again for the last, causing a lot of troubles for everyone.)
In Suikoden IV the rune jumps from person to person, killing them when it deems them unworthy. You just happened to be in the vicinity and it picked you to jump to.
In Suikoden V the rune never becomes yours. It was kept sealed in the palace and your mother 'equips' it to stop an uprising (and protect it from assholes trying to steal it/take her place as ruler of the country). She goes mad, destroys a town when one of the stabilising runes of it are stolen. You eventually find that rune in a closet. No, I'm not joking. Someone you thought you could trust was the one who stole the rune and they shoved it in a closet in the basement where you stumble apon it.

Other games? Well, let's see... Breath of Fire II has you gain Afini by going through a trial of personality where you have to pick one of your friends to kill. Picking yourself will unlock it. There's also the Grn Dragon, which you get by defeating a guy who seemed like a good friend. The kicker is that dragon clan are very, very few and far between - in fact, as far as you know in the game, there are 4 of them in the whole world. This guy being one is a huge reveal and it sucks that you have to kill him because he's a genuinely nice guy.

Chrono Trigger - Your friend and her father creates the time key which allows you to jump back and forth through time. Eventually you find the flying time machine in the future... yay~

Honestly, there's a ton of ways. Go watch some magical girl anime if you're really hurting for ideas. I mean, Madoka has fuck-face Mcgee unlock the powers for you and Cardcaptor has her finding a magic staff to capture the cards. Hell, even non-Magical Girl anime works - Luffy ate a specific fruit which gives powers, Naruto trained hard, Ichigo went and died (or near to) and had them unlocked by a nearby Shinigami he'd saved (though he was born with the power to see ghosts).
Well I've seen my fair share of magical girl anime, trust me. That's why I'm doing this.

But since this isn't a fantasy world, I need some justification for youngins getting powers that allows them to don magical outfits and fight demons. :/
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=StrawberryFlower
Well I've seen my fair share of magical girl anime, trust me. That's why I'm doing this.

But since this isn't a fantasy world, I need some justification for youngins getting powers that allows them to don magical outfits and fight demons. :/

Like I said: aliens. Or the discovery of an ancient precursor technology, such as crystals from Atlantis that absorb into the brain and transfer mental output into kinetic energy.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Two of my games touch upon an answer to this question. One did it through donning artifact-amulets. The other did it through blessings from spirits from an alternate dimension.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I mean how serious is your setting? How realistic? How supernatural? How modern?

Possible answers range from "the government has developed a biochemical superserum that augments human powers to let them harness their energy in previously impossible ways, including projecting it out as beams or forcefields, but the scientist who developed it has gone rogue and refused to hand it over because it poses a severe life-threatening danger; when his own life is threatened by foreign spies while he's on the run, his daughter injects herself with the serum to save him" to "encountered a ghost in a pond who told the heroine that she's the reincarnation of the person who killed the ghost, and has a duty to make up for the wrongs she committed in a previous life, which requires finding the reincarnations of her accomplices and joining together with them to return seven sacred artifacts to their rightful locations" to "A TALKING CAT SENT BY THE MAGIC ACADEMY SAYS YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE"

If the source of the characters' power isn't important to the story, you can actually completely bypass it. Have the would-be heroes meet someone who already has this power. When asked how their power works, they give maybe one sentence of non-explanation like "My power comes from this staff, and belonged to my father before me, until he fell." Then the character with the power dies, and the hero takes up the staff and gains the power. And from then on, where the power came from is never mentioned again. Maybe make it so the staff binds to the character until they die, to explain why you don't just give it to the police ASAP. You would explain absolutely nothing this way, but you'd do so in a way that doesn't create a problem or a plot hole. The audience knows as much as the protagonist knows, and that's enough to know that they have to fight.
I actually want to do it more seriously than most magical girl anime. Like Madoka Magica, but with more older characters dealing with RL stuff.

The threat are hideous demons that tear and eat people...

So it's not silly. XD

Thanks guys for going through this with me. :D
LockeZ
Surely not all the demons like each-other. Maybe have the characters get possessed by or make pacts with some of the demons which grant them powers in exchange for performing favors for the demons in the future, or perhaps in exchange for their souls?
That sounds like something I was coming up with long ago. Runes and demons!
Pages: 1