[RM2K3] LIGHTNING RETURNS-INSPIRED BATTLE SYSTEM

Pages: 1
So recently I've been working on a battle system inspired by Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII:

Currently, I have a working GP/EP display (the circular object with the super number number in it; intended max value is 9 BTW) and HP and MP display (the numbers turn green if the current HP and/or MP matches the maximum HP and/or MP).

The command display is only temporary. I plan to make it similar to what was in Lightning Returns.

The most mundane task will probably be some kind of ATB gauge or something. Any advice on that?
Also, since this in on the map rather than in actual battle screen, how do I immobile the player character (Lightning in this case)?
An ATB gauge is basically a value between 0 and X (I use 0~1000) that fills up by a battler-specific amount each tick.
For instance, Agility. Lightning has 12 AGL so her ATB fills by 12 each tick.

Then, when one battler's ATB gauge is equal or higher to 1000, have him/her act.
The ATB is then reduced by 1000 afterwards, so the extra ATB accumulated past 1000 is kept for the next turn.
You might have to deal with a few issues as well like having two or more battlers above 1000. You can compare AGL or roll priority in that case.

A CTB (like FFX) is actually the same.
The difference is that in a CTB you have to calculate several turns in advance and show the character icons in the right order.
And in the ATB you have to update the ATB gauge images between every ticks.
I got an ATB gauge into the game, but there's lag. OTL I need to work on that.

On the other hand, I started to work on some custom menu, also inspired by Lightning Returns:

My main concern is the space between the words in a sentence. I think I need to edit the font to add one more pixel to the "space" so it doesn't look so dense. Also, the font is from Tales of Eternia: I really like it since it's well... pixel and slim and good looking, so it definitely fits something like this poor attempt at based system.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
As long as an event is running that isn't a parallel processes, the player can't move. If you need to disable movement while no events are running, you can intercept input for all six keys with Input Processing.

I agree about the spacing in the font. On the gray background I actually think the black border around it is making it much harder to read. If the final background will be much lighter then I understand, but if it's going to be similar to this color then I'd drop the border around the text in the main menu. The problem with the spacing is also improved by getting rid of the black border.

The several different fonts used in the battle screen are... less good. I don't think it's a good idea to mix and match fonts like that. Just use the same Tales font you're using in the menu, at the same size, or at double size if you need big text for important things like HP numbers. There's no need to use smaller text - the player and enemy are so tiny that you could have the battle UI fill 75% of the screen and it wouldn't be a problem.
No, the background will stay; it's somewhat similar to what appears in Lightning Returns but also reminds me of Final Fantasy IX TBH.

Here's an updated version:

I removed the black outlines for letters and darkened the white borders a bit. Looks a bit better but I think I'll need to adjust the space in the font.

The battle HUD is still early in development as well as the battle system TBH.
Pages: 1