[RMN DRAMA] THE GUY WHO MADE THE FINAL FANTASY MYSTIC QUEST REMAKE IS TRYING TO SELL IT

Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
I think that's an ashtray, Ratty.
It's either an ashtray or a very soggy poutine.
author=Ilan14
author=Trihan
Mystic Quest is actually a pretty decent game. It's essentially My First Final Fantasy, and it undeniably has training wheels all over it, but it's a solid gaming experience and has one of my favourite boss themes ever.
Just to clarify, I didn't played it. It's just that the few articles and stuff about the game I saw on the internet weren't very favorable...

The game is great. A bit silly in some parts but it has a lot of solid game design going on. I'm actually reading an LP of it that goes into all sorts of details that I never knew about it as a kid. It's an interesting look. I mean, okay, it's no FF6 but it has it's own charm. I liked it a lot better than FF1, 2 and 3 so...

http://lparchive.org/Mystic-Quest-(by-cardinal-direction)/
There's the LP if you want to check it out instead of playing. It's a lot more fun playing it though. ^.^
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Mystic Quest is a bit strange to me. It's a little too 'mash enter' early on (I get that it's supposed to be super easy to get into for us slow Americans) and it's hard to gauge when I should be putting genuine effort into managing my setup. I gave up around the Wintry Temple I think.

Does the game ever become actually taxing?
What I'm wondering is why people make video game topics in the part of the forum that isn't Videogames.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
@Corfaisus: No, it never changes or gets any deeper or more difficult. You just get higher damage numbers.
author=Liberty
author=Ilan14
author=Trihan
Mystic Quest is actually a pretty decent game. It's essentially My First Final Fantasy, and it undeniably has training wheels all over it, but it's a solid gaming experience and has one of my favourite boss themes ever.
Just to clarify, I didn't played it. It's just that the few articles and stuff about the game I saw on the internet weren't very favorable...
The game is great. A bit silly in some parts but it has a lot of solid game design going on. I'm actually reading an LP of it that goes into all sorts of details that I never knew about it as a kid. It's an interesting look. I mean, okay, it's no FF6 but it has it's own charm. I liked it a lot better than FF1, 2 and 3 so...

http://lparchive.org/Mystic-Quest-(by-cardinal-direction)/
There's the LP if you want to check it out instead of playing. It's a lot more fun playing it though. ^.^

Ok, then I may check that out... ;)
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
author=Feldschlacht IV
What I'm wondering is why people make video game topics in the part of the forum that isn't Videogames.

I think because this topic is more about the drama of it that game part of it.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Mystic Quest is great and I will not hear otherwise.
^Yeah!
After reading that LP I kinda want to make a remake of it with deeper storyline/better characterisation and maybe some touch-up to certain characters/balance. I love the game, but it's not perfect and there are areas where it could be enhanced quite well - the story definitely being the major one. There's a lot of 'this happened because it did what you want an explanation? lol nope" and random circumstance.

I always love the idea of battlefields. So much so, that I used them in a few games of mine.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=Avee
It's either an ashtray or a very soggy poutine.

Okay...and the award for biggest gross-out goes to...
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Actually I just discovered what poutine is and I want one right now.
Looking at his other website, you have to admit the guy has balls to list Sqeeunix as one of their 'clients'. Of course, everyone here knows that Kisareth Studios is dodgy as hell too. XD I wonder if those testimonials come from their friends...
I see his account on here actually, he was doing (or did do) a FFIV remake apparently. Dunno if that was the same dealio with that or not...
Why is this even a thing? How stupid do you have to be to claim that a giant studio has hired you to remake their games when you have no record as a designer or any portfolio. The company sure as hell doesn't even approach people to remake their games anyways.

Where is a good torch when you need it? Someone has to cleanse this heresy with fire and sword. He's going to bring RPG Maker low with this BS.
Solitayre
So I just looked at his website and its an abomination. Even in the nineties this would have been considered tacky.

Also, openly declaring his affiliation with the noted liar who goes by 'Kisareth Studios' explains an awful lot. I suspect they're handling a lot of the 'marketing' for this game or are possibly just the same person under a different name. I does not surprise me at all to see that they have a hand in a sham of this magnitude.
His .com website is now down. Well done, team!

edit: Solitayre, I just checked out his facebook page and it lists Kisareth Studios as his top employer. I think that confirms it--these are all the same dude!

As for Mystic Quest, I had a real hoot with that game when I was young. It was by no means my first RPG, but there weren't that many others available in those days. Kickin' soundtrack, but I had some weird issues playing it, that revolved around a piece of music:

Whenever I was in an area in which this track played, if I fought and won a battle, this music would slow down and then stop, the final note sustaining endlessly, and the game would lock up. I tried renting a copy to get around it, but I had the exact same problem with the rental.

So eventually, I discovered that if I quickly ducked into the menu and saved the game before the music stopped, I could reset and reload and continue. So those dungeons took a really long time with all the constant saving and loading.

To this day I don't know if this was due to a run of faulty cartridges, or something wrong with my SNES. All other games worked fine, and Mystic Quest worked perfectly except when that song was involved.

Did anybody else encounter this?
author=CashmereCat
Actually I just discovered what poutine is and I want one right now.

It's fairly easy to make, you just pan fry the fries instead of putting them in a fryer. For an added bonus fry them in hamburger fat or chicken fat from a previous fast-food dinner, but olive oil or coconut works too. Remove the fries after about 16 minutes (intervals of 4, flipping every four minutes), and put them in an oven to bake with some white cheese (feta or neufchatel both work), meanwhile deglaze the pan (which now has some nice fat and starch). If you followed the advice before, this broth will take some of the cooked fat and have more of a "meaty" flavor. Make a gravy. If it's not thick enough, add to the baking fries and it'll thicken in the last few minutes in the oven.

Voila! Poutine without going to Canada. It might not be how they make it though.

Graphics are RTP, not gonna happen.
Solitayre
author=nurvuss
edit: Solitayre, I just checked out his facebook page and it lists Kisareth Studios as his top employer. I think that confirms it--these are all the same dude!

While that wouldn't have surprised me at all, we just did an IP check and this doesn't appear to be the case. But I'd bet a thousand dollars that the 'testimonials' on his website are Kisareth's handiwork.