TABLETOP FAVORITES

Pages: 1
So I'm curious after hanging around in and out and not really contributing anything for around what feels like a decade. What tabletop RPG's do you guys like? I'll start by listing games I run and like playing.

Pathfinder RPG (Paizo)
Deathwatch (Games Workshop)
Only War (Games Workshop)
Black Crusade (Games Workshop)
Rogue Trader (Games Workshop)
Dark Heresy (Games Workshop)
Dead Reign (Palladium Books)
A Song of Ice and Fire (Green Ronin)
Hobomancer (Hex Games)
Boot Hill (TSR)
Double Cross 3e (Ver. Blue Amusement)
Dragon Age (Green Ronin)
Das Schwarze Auge/The Dark Eye (Fantasy Productions)
Legend of the Five Rings (AEG)
Leverage (Margaret Weis)
Mass Effect D20 (Fan Game)
Mekton Zeta (R. Talsorian Games)
Lodoss War (Fan Game)
Pokemon Trainers United (Fan Game)
Shadowrun (Catalyst Game Labs)
Star Wars Saga Edition (Wizards of the Coast)
Traveller (Mongoose Publishing)
Zelda (Fan Game)

There are many more I am planning on trying soon and some I haven't mentioned. What's your nerdy tabletop RPG?
Neotech 2 is a Swedish cyberpunk RPG that is one of my favourites. It's been a while since I played it but I hear there's a new edition in the works. Of course I've not played RPGs in ages but I will probably still pick this up. (I mean since I last played any RPGs that lasted more than a session I've bought Savage Worlds, Noir and (new) World of Darkness)

I like Neotech 2 mostly because of it's wound system, which is incredibly detailed. This led to some really amusing moments of people shouting "you hit an artery!" and the system is incredibly deadly, if you're hit you're often down. Even though you might not be dead, you just have to hope that your buddies win the fight and can get you to a hospital really quickly.

Another favourite is Drakar och Demoner (1991 edition), but that's just because it was my first.

I've been looking at the 40k RPGs, how are they? I worked on my own space setting, which was partially inspired by 40k. Though my preferences are always on "regular people" and the 40k rpgs seem like they are focused more on heroics. (The Imperial Guard sourcebook though maybe?) I wouldn't mind playing in a Necromunda-like setting with regular gang warfare and maybe some day-to-day politics. Without the threat of planets ending or whatever the focus seems to be in the 40k rpg.
author=Shinan
Neotech 2 is a Swedish cyberpunk RPG that is one of my favourites. It's been a while since I played it but I hear there's a new edition in the works. Of course I've not played RPGs in ages but I will probably still pick this up. (I mean since I last played any RPGs that lasted more than a session I've bought Savage Worlds, Noir and (new) World of Darkness)

I like Neotech 2 mostly because of it's wound system, which is incredibly detailed. This led to some really amusing moments of people shouting "you hit an artery!" and the system is incredibly deadly, if you're hit you're often down. Even though you might not be dead, you just have to hope that your buddies win the fight and can get you to a hospital really quickly.

Another favourite is Drakar och Demoner (1991 edition), but that's just because it was my first.

I've been looking at the 40k RPGs, how are they? I worked on my own space setting, which was partially inspired by 40k. Though my preferences are always on "regular people" and the 40k rpgs seem like they are focused more on heroics. (The Imperial Guard sourcebook though maybe?) I wouldn't mind playing in a Necromunda-like setting with regular gang warfare and maybe some day-to-day politics. Without the threat of planets ending or whatever the focus seems to be in the 40k rpg.

See when I said I didn't mention some I figured I would forget without looking at my shelf about New World of Darkness and Savage Worlds. Truth be told though I only played those games and never got to run any. The rest you mention I've only heard of in passing but Neotech 2 always was one I wanted to see played in person. Dragons and Demons I played by mistake thinking it was Dungeons and Dragons. It was my second experience in tabletop RPG's as AD&D was my first. I have to say though it's been a long time since I've gotten to play the older RPG's out there. The 40k games are actually pretty fun because in true 40k fashion it's mostly about the combat. I don't mean games revolve around combat I mean the combat is fairly fleshed out with regards to hitting different body parts and armor giving a different rating to those parts and breaking after too much damage etc. Most of my experience is with Deathwatch though where you play Space Marines. Only War is the one where you play Imperial Guardsmen and Rogue Trader is where you play people who start with next to nothing and press their own agendas by piggybacking the Rogue Trader NPC. Dark Heresy leaves you as agents of the Inquisition. Those three might be more your style if you like more normal people instead of Space Racis- Marines.
Has anybody played Tragedy Looper? It looks stellar, but it's always sold out in the UK, and I don't fancy paying £30 shipping to get it.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
author=Tyranos
Das Schwarze Auge/The Dark Eye (Fantasy Productions)

Yes! Finally someone else who knows DSA! I've been playing this game with friends for many years now, and it's not just awesome, it has also strongly influenced my game making. I still wonder why The Dark Eye never became more popular outside of Germany as well. Especially since, at least in my humble opinion, it's vastly superior to Dungeons and Dragons in almost every regard.

I've tried out a bit of Shadowrun as well, but the setting just is a bit too uncomfortable for my tastes. Plus, I got really annoyed with the way dice rolls work.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I've only ever been involved with DnD, the first Star Wars tabletop and Vampire the Masquerade.
Nowadays I still play DnD with family and friends. About to start a new campaign with 5th edition! Mmmmm 5th edition you're my all too familiar boo.

Edit: oh yes, and I do play Warhammer fantasy and 40k. Been awhile for 40k but I have a Warriors of Chaos and Lizardmen army for fantasy. About 2500-3000points respectively
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
My favourites are Pathfinder and Paranoia.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Oh, this is exactly the thread I'm looking for. I've never played any RPG, but I and my friendo, We want to make a group, but we can't decide which game to play. He wanted to play either FATE with his own setting or Dragon's Nest 2 (Czech variant on D&D).
My intentions were different. I wanted to try some awesomeness of premade setting or something less popular. My tips were:
-Dragon Age (Cuz I'm big fan of the franchise)
-Warrior, Rogue and Mage
-RuneQuest

So, I'm glad to see this, so I can learn something.
Trihan
Would anyone be interested in running a forum Paranoia game at some point?
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I may be. Checked on it and it looks pretty interesting. I don't own any books of any edition, tho.

Edit: Do ya have any experience with Hillfolk? It does look damn interesting.
Trihan
Not one I've ever come across.

I've got all the Paranoia books and players aren't supposed to know the rules anyway (it's treason!) so you'll be fine.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Count me in, then.
Paranoia is fantastic. Unfortunately I've only ever played and run Troubleshooters. I also did actually run the game where everyone is a high programmer and in that one the reason they all use so many lackeys is because failure is treason, no matter what it is. If you fail to eat an apple it's treason.

Also last night in my current skype/maptool campaign "The Inheritors" the party formed in a very odd way. Two people were sent out with a group of men to investigate multiple portal openings (the magic portals explain their race since it's not something native to the setting) and one known as Niros who is a half drow decided to immediately attempt to hide in plain sight while surrounded, though he has no such ability to do so. When that seemed to fail he decided to use a fog and fly away. To which the casters mass dispelled him and watched him fall to the ground in some mud. After that a barbed arrow flew from another player hitting him and grappling him successfully allowing him to pin the suspicious dark man in place long enough for half a dozen warriors to quickly restrain him with fetters, manacles, and even chains with a padlock. So now with the three other members of the party in tow they are off to report back to the captain of the guard in a nearby city. They ran into Ettins however and the game ended there. This Saturday promises to be entertaining as Niros remains chained and unable to battle Ettins properly.
Trihan
But then failing to fail to eat an apple would also be treason.
Pages: 1