[RMVX ACE] DAMAGE NUMBERS AND VISIBLE HP?!

Pages: 1
Hey guys, I'm still learning the ins and outs of Ruby, and as such I'm still working on a battle system that utilizes events on the side. One major headache that I always have trouble with using this method is damage numbers and hp/mp/whatev bars.

What do I mean by this exactly? Well, in Ruby Radiance I literally uploaded pictures of numbers 1 through 30 and cycled through the graphics depending on in game variables. (Did 6 damage, took 4, etc.) With my latest project in mind, numbers will probably reach in four digits. I'd rather not make thousands of pictures of each individual number ranging from 1 to 9999. Is there an easier way to do this without resorting to using a custom battle script that I would be restricted on due to my lack of Ruby knowledge? Be it some fancy method of recording variables or even a Ruby script so simple as to be able to trigger variable numbers on an event, or listing whatever someones HP will be on the screen? Thanks.
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
Set a temp variable to HP value mod 10 to get thousands. Then mod 1000 to convert it to hundreds. temp variable to mod 10 again to get hundreds value, mod 100 to convert to tens, temp variable to mod 10 again to get tens, mod 10 again to get the units.

Then you've got 4 variables each containing the next successive base 10 representation of the number, so you only need 10 branches for each possible digit in each event that shows a number.
Modding works... but it's still severely clunky. I highly suggest finding a simple script to use if you have the ability to take advantage of ruby. Theoretically, you're looking to use the same font anyway, so this will make future edits not mind numbing. There has to be a script that will allow you to easily render text on screen where ever you please.
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
It is easy to do with scripts, but he said he was using events so that was the solution I gave. It's actually not that clunky at all, I had a map-based battle system working perfectly in rm2k3 using events; it even had floating damage numbers.
I understand, I've extensively used the modding trick as well. My point was that modding can take a lot of time to set up, you might as well strap yourself down and learn a little bit about ruby. It can't be that difficult to call a script and have it draw a number on screen at a desired location. I'm just suggesting he look into it.
Pages: 1