SUGGESTION: IMPROVEMENTS TO RESPONSIVE DESIGN FOR MOBILE

Pages: 1
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
Not sure if I'm alone here, but when I'm viewing the site on a smaller screen (such as my phone, on which I access RMN semi-regularly) the media queries/CSS used by RMN doesn't appear to cope very well. The login/navbar at the top resizes really weirdly, to the point where the username/password input boxes are no longer in the bar and some things are placed strangely. There follows a screenshot.

It's also occasionally difficult for me to write forum posts on my phone because the display of what I'm typing is pushed below the bottom of my screen and I can't see it without scrolling down, but I'm not sure whether that's the site design or my phone being a dick.
the site design predates the buzzwords "responsive web design".

I will endeavour to overhaul the site's CSS... but it'd fuck up people's custom CSS on their gameprofiles. :<
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Just to throw in 2c, the RMN website appears perfectly fine in my phone, no problems with resizing or overwriting. Then again, I'm using a Nokia with a Linux based OS and a firefox browser which can cope with just about anything.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
I have to zoom in to press "Notices" on my mobile phone but I don't think it's that terrible. I mean, it could be better, but it's usable. As usable as any site usually is on mobile, that is. I'd say, unless it's really easy to change, then don't change much.

Edit: I forgot to say that there are so many types of phones that it might be difficult to cater to them all. I know that a lot of phones have different display sizes so unless there's a separate site for mobile phones, it's going to look different for a lot of people.
Trihan
Note that the screenshot was just a resized Chrome on my laptop, so it's not specific to mobiles.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The worst part is trying to type on mobile. When the keyboard is taking up the bottom half of the screen, and the stuff in the header bar loops around like that to cover the entire top half of the screen, it's like, dude, that was my whole screen. I needed that screen.

Given that this is a website devoted primarily to uploading, downloading and playing games that only work on PCs, though, I understand that mobile platforms are not a priority.
Trihan
Fair point, but my counterpoint to that is that I spend more time posting on the forums than I do uploading, downloading and playing games, and I do a fair amount of that on my phone. (well, I would if I didn't have these issues)
author=LockeZ
Given that this is a website devoted primarily to uploading, downloading and playing games that only work on PCs, though, I understand that mobile platforms are not a priority.

This has been my goto excuse for not getting around to doing it!
about not f'ing up gameprofiles... I think it is possible to have an alternate css be loaded on a cellphone? then maybe it wouldn't f'up the profiles, I dunno. I remember trying to access rmn on a cellphone but it was aeons ago, I think it was rmn 3 with a prehistoric cellphone. (we're on rmn 5, right?)
Needless to say, it didn't work.
Trihan
In all honestly I only even posted this because I read somewhere that you get Makerscore for posting in the feedback forum and I wanted to see if it was true.

KENTONA I AM ADDICTED

please approve part 4 of Slip into Ruby kthx
Pages: 1